Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Any thoughts on this? I really would like a "all in one" type travel/itinerary tracker for my business trips and there are a bunch of them in the app store but apparently apple doesn't allow devs to write to the calendar.app so those travel/itinerary type apps are more or less useless cause i would have to record flight info in there, and then create a separate calendar record in the calendar.app to take advantage of the calendar alerts and same goes for meeting type info for any trips, hotel info, etc.

Why apple, why?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
They won't let them? How do you know?

I'm 99.9% sure. That's why no app can write to the calendar.app to take advantage of the alerts in the calendar. No workout type apps (to schedule workouts), no travel tracker type apps (to schedule travel related events suc as flights, meetings, etc.).

Unless i'm wrong and no developer to date has created an app using the apple sdk to write records to the calendar.app? i find that hard to believe.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
They won't let them? How do you know?

I'm 99.9% sure. That's why no app can write to the calendar.app to take advantage of the alerts in the calendar. No workout type apps (to schedule workouts), no travel tracker type apps (to schedule travel related events suc as flights, meetings, etc.).

Unless i'm wrong and no developer to date has created an app using the apple sdk to write records to the calendar.app? i find that hard to believe.

You are correct. There is no way.

It's weird, isn't it? Applications have full read/write access to contacts...yet Apple refuses to do some other things that definitely aren't a security issue. (get the list of songs in someone's library...good for Tap Tap Revenge...or maybe a map view api...one line of code).

I guess you could argue that preventing read/write to the calendar.app would prevent people from "knowing your schedule" and whatnot...which is probably far more dangerous than access to contacts.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
SmarTime combines a to do list with a calendar in one app. YOu have a full calendar, a full to do app or you can choose to show items set for a day together in one view. The only draw back is that you have to replace Apple's calendar with theirs. This just means you use another calendar app in place if ical.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
SmarTime combines a to do list with a calendar in one app. YOu have a full calendar, a full to do app or you can choose to show items set for a day together in one view. The only draw back is that you have to replace Apple's calendar with theirs. This just means you use another calendar app in place if ical.

smartime probably doesn't allow for "alerts" and without alerts, any calendar app is useless

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
smartime probably doesn't allow for "alerts" and without alerts, any calendar app is useless

Depends how good you are at checking your calendar. :)

If Apple made this available in the SDK, it would be absolutely lovely. I'm surprised it's not there! Although, the MobileMe to-do's don't sync nor do they show up. If they did, a lot of to-do lists would be made kind of redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.