Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
recently started to get some annoying scam calls, always from no caller id.

as far as I can see, with apple, I can either keep getting them, or block all unknown callers. but I don't want to block unknown callers, things like hospitals call me for appointments, people might call me from their work phones. I just want to block 'no caller id' calls. is this not possible?

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
I have this same issue (and NO solution) since i own an iPhone.

Even on dumb phones from the 2000s this is possible without problems... :mad:

[edit] For the record: No prob on Android...

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Why Apple gimping their phones “phone function”, I don’t know. People (including Apple) seems to have forgotten what iPhone in essence is: a phone.

While I had critical phone call from no caller id before, my solution is learning how to not answer possibly scam calls. Not ideal but I can’t do much about blocking unwanted call either, short of adding those numbers to the primitive “blocked caller” list. As for “no caller id” ones? No idea. 🤷‍♀️

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Might check to see if your cellco has an app. For example, I'm on ATT and their free tier of their app has the anonymous call block feature.
anon.png
(Yeah, this is an app. Yeah, some people don't want to install another app. Yeah, would be great if iOS did it, etc)

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Most telemarketers and scammers just spoof a fake phone number in the caller ID, often one in the same area code and exchange as the target. While the OP says his recent spam calls have had no caller ID, blocking only those calls would be a very incomplete solution.

I use the same AT&T Active Armor app as NoBoMac; it's the best strategy for blocking spam and scam calls that I've found. While I've had a handful of legitimate calls blocked as spam risk (when I get these, I just add them as a contact), it mostly gets it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Most telemarketers and scammers just spoof a fake phone number in the caller ID, often one in the same area code and exchange as the target. While the OP says his recent spam calls have had no caller ID, blocking only those calls would be a very incomplete solution.

I have noticed a huge (read: practically none, can't recall last time I saw one) drop in spoofed exchange spam. As I mention in this thread, think STIR/SHAKEN finally pretty much fully implemented with telcos has shut down the majority of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.