Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I need to repair my internal HD disk and I can't seem to boot off of the tiger dvd in order to do so. Why is this? I'm on a macpro running 10.4.8

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
'cos it's PPC Tiger? No Intel Tiger disks exist as far as I know. Where's your install disk?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Intel Tiger DVDs exist, I have a set.

I meant retail. Am I way off the mark? Besides, it's possible that the version of Tiger on the DVD is lower/earlier than the one that came with the Mac, which in most cases also means no joy.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
if it's any DVD except the one that came with your mac pro, it probably won't work. As noted, there are not retail Tiger discs that work with intel macs - and even if retail discs did work, they would need to have the version of 10.4 that the mac pro shipped with or a later version (i.e. if your computer came with 10.4.7, it won't boot from a disc with 10.4.5 even if it were an intel disc). And if you're using a disc that came with another model of intel machine, that won't work either.

So basically, you need the DVDs from the mac pro (or another mac pro). If that's what you're using, then it should be working and we need more info.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I cant find those discs anywhere. I dont remember ever seeing discs in the box when i got it either. Is there a way to get new discs?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I cant find those discs anywhere. I dont remember ever seeing discs in the box when i got it either.
I guess depending on when you got it, your Mac Pro probably game with 10.4.7 for Intel. You must use the discs that came with it, or else a newer retail release of OS X (doesn't exist yet, unless they're shipping 10.4.8 Intel compatible version in retail Tiger boxes).

The first thing you should have seen when you unpacked your Mac Pro was a smallish black box that had the Mighty Mouse in it alongside the Users Guide and two Mac Pro OS X Install discs. It's impossible to have missed this box, unless you were really careless.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The current Tiger retail discs are 10.4.6 which are Intel compatible, I think.

Nope.

There has been no reason for Apple to release an Intel version of the Retail package.

All Intel Macs already ship with OS 10.4.x.

So, there would be absolutely no need for anyone with a new Intel-based Mac to purchase the retail version (unless they lost their original disk - in that case, they could contact Apple for a replacement).

But, since all Intel Macs have shipped with OS 10.4.x, there is no reason for anyone other than PowerPC users to purchase the retail box.

10.5 will likely ship as a universal product since both PowerPC and Intel users will be upgrading to it.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I cant find those discs anywhere. I dont remember ever seeing discs in the box when i got it either. Is there a way to get new discs?

They're in a flat, black box about an inch high and twice as wide as a CD case, along with the user's manual and warranty information. Two DVDs in a paper slip-case.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

I've spoken with lots of people who have accidentally thrown the disks out with the packaging because they over-looked them.

Fortunately, some of them were able to locate the box before it got hauled-off.

They can be easy to miss in the excitement of unpacking your new machine. But, if you still have the box and all the packing material, then go through them and look for the disks.

Hopefully you'll get lucky.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

The disc are with the printed media in the black box when you first open the box. The accessory box is black and it says "deigned by Apple California"

chameleonbkk

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2007
same prob! urgent answer required!

hi there,

same prob here! can't boot from dvd

i am new here and really need some help which i hope to find here...i am working on an imac... classified below

Machine Model: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08

i got this mac second hand. took it over from a company and am based in thailand. so no way i am getting a hand on the actual installing dvd. anyway,... i am running os x 10.4.8 on it and it came to a point where i decided to wipe the whole harddrive and install everything freshly. so with the facts provided i headed off to get

mac os x leopard 10.5 beta
mac os x tiger 10.4.6
mac os x server 10.4.3

NONE OF THEM WILL BOOT FROM DVD

whatever i try won't let me boot from dvd

startup + c = folder with ? on it
startup + option = only got the possebility to start up from harddrive
target disk mode = folder with ? on it switches over to a gray screen with the firewire logo all over the screen

so after i did some research i red an article about resetting the firmware. apperently that article refers to start up the mac with the option+apple+o+f keys which will then lead to an terminal screen which will let me reset my firmware so i can boot from my dvd drive. if i do that - guess what?! folder with ? on it !!!! argh!

guys i really could use some advise here... any suggestions are welcome

help!

thanks in advance
the chameleoen

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I lost my G4 laptop discs one time for the OS. Apple said they'd sell me new ones for 25 dolars.

Don't know what the Intel policy is buy ask again. It's been a while but maybe they'll sell you some.

Thanks,
ivnj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.