Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
So mum has an iPhone 8, it’s just been repaired and we’ve just restored it from a previous iCloud backup, all is ok.

We want to sync it with iTunes on her PC to get her music on it. But when I connect it, it comes up with the option to either restore from a backup or set up as a new iPhone! And you can’t get past that screen without selecting one of those two options!

What am I doing wrong?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Just set up as new. Iirc, this option doesn't reset the device or anything.

Set up as new restores the device I think.

This is a security requirement as far as I know, so that people can’t get access to the device without knowing the security passcode of the device.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
If you download 3utools and have the phone plugged in there’s an option to exit recovery mode. It should turn the phone on as normal

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Set up as new restores the device I think.

This is a security requirement as far as I know, so that people can’t get access to the device without knowing the security passcode of the device.

Not really. I believe it's for devices that have never been connected to iTunes before. The name is misleading but as I recall, I've used it on devices restored from cloud with no ill effects.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not really. I believe it's for devices that have never been connected to iTunes before. The name is misleading but as I recall, I've used it on devices restored from cloud with no ill effects.

Yeah basically if you’ve never synced the phone with a specific laptop then there’s no way to validate if it’s your own laptop or someone has stolen your device and trying to get access to your phone.

It’s been ages since I’ve actually used a laptop to do anything on my device so I don’t really remember the steps properly but think setting up as new does restore the device.

ractdi

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Perhaps I’m missing something here but isn’t it as straight forward as signing into iTunes using the same Apple ID and password that’s used for iCloud on the iPhone?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah basically if you’ve never synced the phone with a specific laptop then there’s no way to validate if it’s your own laptop or someone has stolen your device and trying to get access to your phone.

It’s been ages since I’ve actually used a laptop to do anything on my device so I don’t really remember the steps properly but think setting up as new does restore the device.

Those are two different things, though.

For security, when an iPhone is connected to a new PC, it requires you to enter the passcode on the iPhone and asks if you trust the computer before data is made available to the PC.

The setup as new is more in terms of content management. As I recall, setup as new leaves the device as it is while restore from backup erases everything on the device and replaces it with the backup.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.