Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekcheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
everytime I use the screenshot shortcut, this happens.

Any solutions?

No sound no screenshot files pop up on my desktop

derekcheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
I can only take a screenshot from preview menu bar -> file -> take screenshot. That works fine. I don't know what happened.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
That's something I haven't seen before and I am unable to help with it I'm afraid.
Have you altered any settings in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts?
I can't think of anything else.
Maybe somebody else has seen this before :)

Reactions: derekcheung

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
After I performed the latest OS update, it changed where my screenshots are saved.
I had to hunt up that answer.

press command/shif/5. A little control box shows up near bottom of screen.
Click Options/Save to Desktop.

Reactions: Quackers

derekcheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
I tried command+shift+5, nothing pops up, gives me an error noise. I just reset my NVRAM and still appears the same problem. I don't use Dropbox. :/

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I have no other suggestions.

Possibly going to your iCloud?
Can you take a fresh screenshot, then, search for just “screenshot” and see where it was stored to? Probably a bunch will show up, just sort by date.

derekcheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
There aren't any fresh screenshots. There are no sound whenever I do the shortcut. Thanks for suggesting though, I think I might have to just stick with the preview application for the time being.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
I am using macOS high sierra version 10.13.6, if this helps
Don't know why you weren't asked this from the start.

Besides Preview, there is an app called Grab (which is replaced by the new Screenshots app in Mojave and later). However, it doesn't give you access to your current Screenshot save location.

Try looking for your screenshots in the Recents view in Finder. Accessible via the Go menu in Finder if you do not have it in your sidebar.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 1.04.53 PM.png

If they are in Recents, you can discover what path they are saving to. You can set the default back to Desktop if you want. Just google "change where screenshots save High Sierra" to find the instructions for doing so via Terminal.

If they are not in Recents, then you can still try setting the default back to Desktop in terminal anyway to see if that fixes the problem.

Otherwise, they aren't being created at all. Probably a 3rd Party app is interfering with the keyboard shortcut. It certainly seems like the icons in your menu bar in the video are doing something related to your keyboard input. Isolate by going to System Preferences > Users > Your User > Login Items and removing everything, then log out of your user and back in, to see if the issue persists.

If it persists, create a new user in the same System Preferences menu and log into the new user to test there.

If it persists in a new user, try uninstalling your 3rd party apps one by one. The culprit is likely a smaller app that may have special instructions for uninstalling (rather than just trashing the app in Finder) to make sure no helper processes are left behind, so consult with the instructions for your specific apps. It may be an app you have already trashed, but that required special uninstall instructions and is still partially running.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
FYI, mea culpa, there is no command/shift/5 for screen shots in High Sierra.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
Don't know why you weren't asked this from the start.

Besides Preview, there is an app called Grab (which is replaced by the new Screenshots app in Mojave and later). However, it doesn't give you access to your current Screenshot save location.

You know, I love Apple, I have many Apple computers and they do so many things well. I just have to ask, why, when there is an app that works so well, like "Grab" does Apple go and take it away? Go from an icon that you just point and click to a bunch of key strokes. How is this an advancement? I used Grab A LOT and I hate that it is gone.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
You know, I love Apple, I have many Apple computers and they do so many things well. I just have to ask, why, when there is an app that works so well, like "Grab" does Apple go and take it away? Go from an icon that you just point and click to a bunch of key strokes. How is this an advancement? I used Grab A LOT and I hate that it is gone.
Well, if you had spent any great amount of time using Irfanview in Windows, which is basically Grab and Preview rolled into one, with always-on in-directory browsing (because zero functionality is gained by not enabling in-directory browsing by default), you might not miss Grab as much, ha...

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
So, what I would hope is that Apple would make something even better. Currently on my Windows work machine they have something called "Snip" which to me is a slightly better version of Grab.

Come on Apple, give us an easier screen shot feature that is better than all these mentioned here!!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Do I see a security app on that menu bar? What is that green shield? The shield to the left of it with the S in it?

There may be a function of those that's blocking screenshots.

JayCar

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Houston, TX
Not a solution to your problem, but I've used Skitch for several years and it's a great app that even has annotation options. It's straight forward and easy to use.. (no affiliation). I've also seen little to no change since Evernote acquired them a few years back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.