Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1MrBee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
I cannot unlock my Hard drive yet the password is always the same. I've never forgotten it.
So why would I not be able to access it?

Thanks.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Let me guess.
There was some software on the disk/you downloaded like WD Security or Drive Utility and you used password protection.

But right after you removed the software from a computer –> the password is incorrect. Yes?)

If that so, you can try luck by installing the software back (install->run–>close->connect disk->run again) Also, under that software check menu bar for preferences, options, etc. for something similar to password reset

I didn't try the abovementioned. Lost all my data(

1MrBee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
Let me guess.
There was some software on the disk/you downloaded like WD Security or Drive Utility and you used password protection.

But right after you removed the software from a computer –> the password is incorrect. Yes?)

If that so, you can try luck by installing the software back (install->run–>close->connect disk->run again) Also, under that software check menu bar for preferences, options, etc. for something similar to password reset

I didn't try the abovementioned. Lost all my data(
Thanks for the reply, but. I don't install any software that doesn't comply with Apple Store policies. In fact my Mac is close to barebones.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This is one more example of why I recommend that one never encrypt or password-protect an external drive unless one has a VERY good reason for doing so.

That password/encryption could block YOU out, in "a moment of extreme need"...

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I cannot unlock my Hard drive yet the password is always the same. I've never forgotten it.
So why would I not be able to access it?

Thanks.
What's the error message you get? Which OS version are you on?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
And what brand/model of drive? Format: HFS+/CoreStorage, APFS?

What does the command "diskutil list" show?

Last edited:

1MrBee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
In reply to all. Strangely for a while several different passwords could be used or applied. But, now it resolved to its original password created at the original encryption date. I thought I was using different password for a while which all worked! But now it has reverted back to original password.

Type LaCie 4TB. No error message. Just continuous asking for password. Mac mini M1 2020

Thanks for your replies. Likely updates with errors caused this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.