Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I let Safari pick and save my passwords. Works great. But then when I use my iPhone and some site requires mobile to use its app I'm screwed because iOS won't plug in passwords into apps, just Safari. There are lots of other password managers around that do work with iOS apps so why does Apple ignore it's own OS here?

Reactions: Armen

dsTny

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2015
As far as I remember, since iOS 8 or iOS 9, 3rd party developers actually have the possibility to access those credential information under restricted circumstances. But they've to implement it in their apps which they apparently not do.

Reactions: lolkthxbai

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I let Safari pick and save my passwords. Works great. But then when I use my iPhone and some site requires mobile to use its app I'm screwed because iOS won't plug in passwords into apps, just Safari. There are lots of other password managers around that do work with iOS apps so why does Apple ignore it's own OS here?

This is a huge missing feature in iOS, and ultimately I had to use 1Password to overcome it (which is excellent, btw).

I really have no idea why Apple doesn't have a full featured password manager app. Safari doesn't cut it. And I still don't know what "keychain" does... apparently nothing I can access.

Reactions: jbachandouris

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
FYI, developers have access to a Keychain API but it's up to them to incorporate it into their apps. Simple the mobile banking app does it and so does Seat Geek, the event ticketing app.
IMG_0295.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
OK, devs have access to Keychain but they don't have access to 3rd party password managers -- those are independent and the user gives the PW managers access to insert the a/c info into the app. But why can't/won't Apple allow the user to give Keychain permission to insert passwords in apps. That is what I don't understand when Apple allows 3rd party managers to work with apps.

This is a huge missing feature in iOS, and ultimately I had to use 1Password to overcome it (which is excellent, btw).

Yes, I'm not a fan of subscriptions at all, and avoid them best I can. I see them as the road to poverty with nothing to show for it. But more and more I thinking I might need to breakdown and get a 1Password sub otherwise I'll retire rich but have gone 100% bonkers because of password anxiety.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
OK, devs have access to Keychain but they don't have access to 3rd party password managers -- those are independent and the user gives the PW managers access to insert the a/c info into the app. But why can't/won't Apple allow the user to give Keychain permission to insert passwords in apps. That is what I don't understand when Apple allows 3rd party managers to work with apps.
I don't think you understand the way that apps are made. Not every text field is equal. Text fields are used for many things besides usernames and passwords. It is not logical to expect Apple to make all text fields in an app accessible to your keychain.

Also, developers do in fact have access to third-party password managers. 1password is a good example. They have a share extension that can be used in Safari to auto-complete a form with login data or contact info. They also make the extension available in third-party apps. They have a github repo with sample code to help developers integrate 1password logins into their apps. They've been doing this since iOS 8. Here's a video so you can see for yourself:

This isn't Apple's fault. They've laid out the foundation but it's up to the developers to implement it, whether they want to use Keychain, 1Password or XYZ Password Manager.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Simply put, the onus is on the app developers to support iCloud keychain in their apps. Why most don't seem to bother is a mystery though.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Flatus McGillicuddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
And my biggest gripe: since the passwords are ONLY in Safari's prefs, they can't be used to log into iTunes or even into AppleID.apple.com. So I wind up using rememberable passwords in those places. Why not put ALL passwords into the OS instead of Safari Preferences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.