Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickinVictoria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hi I am dumbfounded why my HomePod can’t welcome me when I arrive at home and why it can’t tell me if someone is at the house.

it would be great if those mic’s in my HomePod would direct what they hear to me as they probably do for Apple ! I want to hear what they hear!

nickinVictoria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Victoria, BC
What is a HomePod anyway... music player, timer, ask it questions and hope it can answer them, control lights/plugs (HomeKit) but it can't tell me if someone is at the house..... even though we all know it can... Seriously, such a simple thing to do and only Apple gets to know who is at my house (+CIA).... it is like in maps giving directions... I turn the signal light on and it still tells me to turn right! Why the hell doesn't it turn on the mic and hear the turn signals..... so incredibly basic....

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I am bored of Apple. Especially that Apple still does a half baked job and all resources go into the iPhone..... When this product could be so much more!
You want your Homepod to welcome you when you come home. Or better yet: You want Tim Cook welcome you OVER your Homepod, because he is clearly spying at you. ?‍♂️

nickinVictoria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Victoria, BC
You want your Homepod to welcome you when you come home. Or better yet: You want Tim Cook welcome you OVER your Homepod, because he is clearly spying at you. ?‍♂️
No, I want it to do more. It already spys on me (according to Snowden), but why can't it spy for me? So to be clear I want it to alert me if someone is in my house and I am out. I want it to be able to send the sound it picks up from the microphone and send it to my iPhone. Currently, my iPhone with the help of location services, tells Homekit that I am home. When I am home my coffee maker goes on at 6:30am.... it already does a lot of the heavy lifting.... Except when I walk in the door it could say welcome home, Would you like to hear some music?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
How would it know precisely when to welcome you? It’s not much good welcoming you when you’re in a different part of the house, or just outside the front door.

Also why would you want it to welcome you? Doing stuff simply because you can, even if it adds no value, isn’t the Apple way.

nickinVictoria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Victoria, BC
You understand that the HomePod is connected to location services? This isn’t really about welcoming me on arrival but all that it could be. It is like looking at a donut and there is a big hole in the middle.
Don’t you think it would be useful to know that someone is in your house and being able to hear/record them or the dozen or so features it could offer.

Btw, gps service is good for 10metres. If I am coming back from work, it would know because of my iPhone, as I approach the house, location services via Bluetooth/gps/wifi could easily figure this out. Again this isn’t about me arriving and Siri saying Hello it is about a half backed product!

anyhow, wish as a previous poster asked if I was drunk.... wish I was

Apple needs to be held accountable for their half baked products. I doubt very many Mac rumours readers are critical enough of Apple products even though they should be.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Which location service identifies which room you’re in, or even which side of your front door you’re on?

I don’t know what you mean with your doughnut analogy. Doughnuts do have holes in the middle. So do bagels, which it probably a better analogy since they’re actually baked :p

nickinVictoria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Victoria, BC
Bagels are a better analogy, you are right.

I am sure you know this and location services uses this already; signal strength, triangulation and Apple bought a company a couple of years ago that did just that. Mapping inside of building.... any how, it is like they get to hear everything that comes through my HomePod and decide what I get access too. HomePod takes shape. For people who don’t want to be looking at the hole in my half baked bagel (thanks for that!)

I hope the Unix version of the HomePod ships, I could open a terminal window type in: cu -14400 /myHomepod and start listening! Any how, I am going to let this beef I have with Apple die in the mac rumours forum. Thanks for joining me in this somewhat rant!

signed,

toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese please

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Burglars have privacy rights too...

Get cameras with 2 way audio and motion sensors. Problem solved for you.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Hi I am dumbfounded why my HomePod can’t welcome me when I arrive at home and why it can’t tell me if someone is at the house.

it would be great if those mic’s in my HomePod would direct what they hear to me as they probably do for Apple ! I want to hear what they hear!
Bruh, if you’re that lonely the HomePod is the least of your problems. Get a dog ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.