Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Interested to hear if I am doing something wrong because in my area 5G for Verizon is putrid. I can barely stream music when I drive thru town. The service is so bad. With my 11 pro I at least hold a signal to text and stream music. So my question is why isn't there a way for the phone to pass off from 5G to LTE? Or am I missing something and a complete idiot lol

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Try to go following steps and force LTE manually. It should switch to lower gen but not always does :/ (iPhone 11Pro sadly is not 5G compatible so could not test - 12 and newer does support)

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data options > Voice and Data

Here you can manually change it or you can create a Shortcut and change in based on place / connection to Bluetooth or by clicking button.

I am not sure about switching from 5G to LTE but it should as it does when LTE is on and phone switches to 3G or 2G in worst case.

Sadly my carrier in Poland disabled forcing 2G so I have 1/4 cell level even on 3G instead of 3-4 on 2G :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.