Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Why do their have to be "Mac" people and "PC" people? On Mac sites, and on PC sites I see the same people (mindless, beligerant zealots) spewing hatred towards the other side. Both PCs and Macs have their strong points and their weak points. Personally, I like, and use both. I love my PC as my everyday computer and ever evolving project. I'm a "button pushing" tinkerer so I love being able to build (and tweak) my own PCs in ways that are impossible w/a Mac. I'm also an editor, and I'm saving up for a G5 to run Final Cut Pro. IMO, editing on PCs is usually more painful then fun.

On an amusing note, both PC zealots, and Mac zealots have a dislike for Bill Gates. At least there is something everyone can agree on. ;)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
The Tribes of I T

Here's some perspective: Try that same argument with adapted wording speaking about Abraham and Lineage while standing in Jerusalem. You'd get shot. By both sides. The animosity is self perpetuating at this point.

I don't want to start a political debate, I just thought I'd use a dramatic enough comparison to make the point.

M

mymemory@hotmail.com

I'm gonna cry

You just touched me, I would never are gonna talk bad about the PC users (snif, snif).

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I agree...

with eyelikeart...

But we will probably have "peace" once the evil side (M$) admits their unsuppiriority of Windoze, and stop their throwing their noze in the air!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I use everything

I use everything.

Win2000 Dell on my desk

30 or so Sun servers w/ Solaris 2.8

2 Dell servers with RedHat 7.2

and 3 Macs at Home OS 8.1 (must), 9.2, X

I like macs the best... but its not like they are going to do the job of my UNIX and Linux boxes.

My first car was a Chevy... my current car is a Ford. :)

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re" hating pcs

since we are the underdog, it is normal to see a lot of jealousy and animosity towards the pc side

but what does the pc side have against us?

they have 95 percent of the market and we have less than five percent and we are no threat to them anytime in the forseeable future, especially with the way apple has always been run and mismanaged from the start

it is so far out of apple's culture to ever become a computer making giant so the pc side really has nothing to worry about so they should just let us be different

when we have a hot product like the imac or ibook, i do not think it rains on their parade and the pc companies keep on selling their warehouses full of beige box pcs day after day after day

What do PC users have against us?

Just this: they equate rough, imagineless looks to intense, kick-ass functionality and power. The looks of the computer, to them, are inversely proportional to the power of the computer. Ridiculous line of thought, but it's a geek form of machismo. They probably see Macs as "gay", and their own machines as more masculine. (Kinda reminds one of car model debates.) But I rarely meet a woman who thinks the more plain and ugly the man, the more desirable and... um... "functional" he is. (Oops... there goes that hetero-reference argumenting of me again)

Oh... and you want this for a rationale? Several years back ('96, maybe?), when Windows was still maturing and DOS was the interface of geeks, the argument used by them against Mac users was that it took more intelligence to remember the commands of DOS's CLI than it did to DnD. Therefore, PC users were more intelligent than Mac users.

When you look back at all the platform war crap through the years, you start to realize that both sides have far more emotion in their stands than objectivity or logic. People feel what they want, then re-interpret the facts in the real world to fit that desired perception. Heck, I'm guilty of this too. Unfortunately, it's human nature.

And in fora like this (or a chat room, or wherever), where you don't really have to see the person you flame, it becomes really easy to let loose and let out all of your innermost hostilities.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I realize that this thread isn't going to change anybody's mind or anything like that. I was just wondering what the "Mac side" to this issue was. I usually spend my time on PC forums, so I just wanted to get another perspective.

Lethal

hey Lethalwolfe...

I really think it really comes down to things like subjective taste, anchoring one's self-esteem to a certain thing (i.e., identifying with something in an unhealthy way), bad moods, the virtual environment not being a direct, face-to-face one, etc. The same things that cause this nonsense on the PC side. At least those are my theories.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
It just a dead battle...

This battle is dead... unfortuately it is dead... The revolutionary OS 10 soldiers made it to the war field to late, at the time when all the OS 9 and previous had been wiped out... And all the Microsoft soldiers have left to conquer more ground... leaving behind an empty field of dead soldiers...

I'm not saying the war is over... no no no! Just this stupid battle will keep being brought up forever... Just like IE & Netscape... I could rant for the rest of my life about advantages and disadvantages of both sides...:eek: But Netscape has lost it's market share and I don't think it will ever get an oppertunity to get it again (unless M$'s court case forces them to install netscape on every computer)... Apple has lost its chance for getting 100% market share... but for the remaining 40% can still be captured... (with hope)

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Hi Evildead. I'm interested to know what you do with all those Sun servers - sounds like a big Web site? Why are your Macs not going to do the job of your UNIX boxes? I'm suprised that you haven't already got OS X running on them ;)

Of course there's a place for both Windows and Mac - it just means there's more for us all to play with. It would be a sad day when there was less choice.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
does anyone have a bootscrape?

I have unregistered-moron brains stuck in my waffle and it's getting kinda sticky.

As to Mac Vs. PC: The Game isn't over till you can get wireless broadband in central Zimbabwe. The OS X soldiers have arrived in time to see M$ bombing the crap outta their own troops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.