Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I frequently want to take a video with my music playing in the background and for some reason the video automatically pauses the music. Is there a technical reason for this, and is there a way around it? No I don’t want to go back and edit my videos with a third party app and lay music over it, I want the background noise and dialogue of people in the video as well.

Reactions: xxray

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
During video recording, the audio input will be the phone's speaker.
Most production will overlay the background music in post using a video editor. Either that or have another device playing the music through a speaker while recording.

Reactions: ericwn

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
During video recording, the audio input will be the phone's speaker.
Most production will overlay the background music in post using a video editor. Either that or have another device playing the music through a speaker while recording.
What do you mean the audio input will be the phone’s speaker? Why can’t I play music through a Bluetooth speaker while video is recording? Makes no sense.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like things are set up so that (audio) output is disabled when recording is initiated.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Most likely due to copyright concerns. Apple doesn’t want to offer an easy way for people to pirate stuff. You may still need to use third party software to apply the music you want and/or use another device for your purpose.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most likely due to copyright concerns. Apple doesn’t want to offer an easy way for people to pirate stuff. You may still need to use third party software to apply the music you want and/or use another device for your purpose.
That might be a factor, it could also be just a more generic thing where to avoid audio inference when recording any audio output is stopped when recording is started.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
It's just Apple's design. If you're recording something then it makes sense to stop music playback so you can get a clear audio.

Would be nice to have the option to disable this behavior though.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
If I understand what you're trying to get after download snapchat and take the video with that and then save the video. Snapchat allows for music to play while taking a video.

Reactions: xxray

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If I understand what you're trying to get after download snapchat and take the video with that and then save the video. Snapchat allows for music to play while taking a video.
But there’s no way to do this w the native camera app?

Meshawn9

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
What if i plugged a mic into my radio/deck? Would that not stop it from using my phones microphone and possibly let me keep playing?

Rana.tamir

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
I frequently want to take a video with my music playing in the background and for some reason the video automatically pauses the music. Is there a technical reason for this, and is there a way around it? No I don’t want to go back and edit my videos with a third party app and lay music over it, I want the background noise and dialogue of people in the video as well.
So the trick is to not choose the video option but to keep it on photo and then press down on it and it takes a video and the music will keep playing. Then when you watch back the video the music will be playing in it still!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.