Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
What trying learn why the Command + R is not opening the recovery mode in my Mac Studio. A long hold on the power button does. I ran across this.

Why can't I go into recovery mode on Mac?
Try Different Keyboard Shortcut. The general keyboard shortcut to boot into recovery mode may not work if it is Macs that have a T2 chip. In this situation, it's recommended to try a different shortcut to solve the mac can't boot into recovery mode issue. You can try this one: Option/Alt + Command (⌘) + R.Feb 19, 2024.

My M1 Mac Studio does not have the T2 security chip. I am wondering if it could be my Keychron Keyboard. I have a 75% Q1 loaded with the latest QMK/VIA firmware.

I have the Apple ID, and Apple log in fixed, and backed up in several secure places. One thing I learned with Apple Support it depends who you get on the phone how good it will be. Over on the Window 11 forum you have professionals there who know Windows to the last code line. So you get a walk through of each step in whatever it is you are trying do. With Apple support I am getting the dreaded, "lets try this and see if it works". I give Apple support AAA+ for their patience however.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Long hold on the power button is how you get to Recovery mode on Apple Silicon machines. Command-R ended with the last Intel Macs.
Thank you! The Command-R was what the people at Apple support told be to do. 🙄 So much for Apple support. What was esaperating was the long hold power button command was in the follow up information they sent me. They also left out steps needed to load the changes made. Back in the PC days it was fun to do battle with these machines. You learned so much while doing it. But starting with Windows 10 is was no longer fun. I did however learn a great deal about my Mac Studio with this mess.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm sorry the Apple rep misinformed you. They should ask about the machine you've got.

In the future, you can always come back here to ask for help, but Apple also has a lot good online documentation that is just a web search away.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I'm sorry the Apple rep misinformed you. They should ask about the machine you've got.

In the future, you can always come back here to ask for help, but Apple also has a lot good online documentation that is just a web search away.

I have Applecare and I called from my iPhone through the Apple support app, with the Mac Studio as the reason for the call so they knew what my device was. I am more irritated with myself than anyone else. I don't like to ask for help with computer problems. The big thing is the difference between 25+ years with Microsoft/Windows machines, and a little over a year with macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.