Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading from and iPhone 6 Plus and a 6s Plus. I have and use these two devices. Both are still working very well.

I noticed Apple actually reduced the physical battery size for the iPhone 8 Plus vs previous models. Given there is no real change other than a much more efficient processor in the 8 Plus, why did they reduce the battery size? If they kept the same previous size battery along with the new efficient chips then maybe we would finally have an amazing battery life on an iPhone!?

I use both my phones for work mainly, but I also play a lot of Pokemon go which is known to be a battery hog of course. So this is the only reason I want to upgrade my perfectly functioning phones.

Did they maybe reduce the battery size because as it stands the plus model is already one hour better doing heavy tasks than the X, so maybe I have a tinfoil hat here but it would have looked bad on the X if the 8 Plus was out performing the batter by an even bigger margin?

What do you think?

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I upgraded from a 7 Plus which has a bigger battery than the 8 Plus and my battery life has been much better, I would get around 10 hours of usage on the 7 plus and I'm easily getting at least 12-13 hours of usage of with my 8 Plus, so battery life on the 8 Plus is very good, well at least for me.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
I upgraded from a 7 Plus which has a bigger battery than the 8 Plus and my battery life has been much better, I would get around 10 hours of usage on the 7 plus and I'm easily getting at least 12-13 hours of usage of with my 8 Plus, so battery life on the 8 Plus is very good, well at least for me.

Yes battery on all the Plus models is great. My question though is why did they reduce the physical battery in the 8Plus? With the same battery size as last year with the nice new efficient cpu etc it could have been much more than 12 - 13 hours?

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
-6+ had the largest battery
-6S+ battery was the same size as 8+ to fit the haptic engine and accommodate the force touch system
-7+ battery increased to same size as 6+ with removal of headphone jack
-8+ battery smaller still to fit wireless charging system in addition to what’s mentioned above
It’s a packaging issue, I think...

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Likely they made it smaller to reduce the weight. Thanks to the glass back, the 8 Plus is already the heaviest iPhone ever.
However, by most accounts the 8 Plus has the best battery life of any iPhone because the more efficient processor makes up for it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The glass back models make the phones inside actually smaller. They aren’t curved all the way out like they where but more cut off now. The back glass is that curved part now. The inside space is smaller

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.