Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys.

Most of us on here have noted, the version demoed in WWDC is different (with the working of features such as handsoff, new iTunes logo etc.) and seemingly more evolved than the beta they released to us.

Can you list ANY reasons, as to why Apple would release an older Beta version for testing to developers?

Doesn't make sense to me..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Probably because what they used was a finely choreographed and rehearsed presentation and they tweaked their OS X Mac's to do only what they needed it to do. Just like the Golden Path they used for Steve at the announcement of the original iPhone.

The team eventually decided on a "golden path" of specific tasks that Jobs could perform with little chance that the device would crash in the actual keynote.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Guys.

Most of us on here have noted, the version demoed in WWDC is different (with the working of features such as handsoff, new iTunes logo etc.) and seemingly more evolved than the beta they released to us.

Can you list ANY reasons, as to why Apple would release an older Beta version for testing to developers?

Because it wasn't ready?

Remember, the Keynote builds are set to have certain features work in certain ways. There's a famous story of he original iPhone keynote where there was a certain path Jobs had to take with demoing apps to not crash the device.

For instance, the handoff may have worked only with the addresses/devices demoed.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
I imagine the WWDC build was tweaked specifically to look nice for the presentation, but may very well have been buggier underneath.

Outwardly it looked better, yes. But remember that all of what we saw was prescripted actions taking place. I doubt Craig had much leeway on what he could show off...

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011

It makes perfect sense. What DEVELOPERS need at this moment is a set of reasonably working OS X code needed to test existing API compatibility, and to work on new API functionality with their apps/applications. You don't need dark mode to test this for instance. What Apple MARKETING needs at this moment is a demonstration that represents substantially what the final product would look like to give CONSUMERS the idea of what's coming. You don't need reasonably working code other that what's needed for the demo.

I'm not sure why people think that DPs are there for anything more than developers testing functionality with their own software. For instance, iOS7 betas never had the new sounds for ringers/alerts... not even the last one. Why? No need for it. They don't give you the "latest trunk code" on a developer's beta. They give you the "latest developer branch" which is what you need to test functionality. This is actually perfectly normal development practice...

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
It's interesting why they had two iMacs on stage. Idk why.
It's not like those macs are used for anything except showing off the new os.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Just like the Golden Path they used for Steve at the announcement of the original iPhone.
that article said:
“At first it was just really cool to be at rehearsals at all — kind of like a cred badge,” Grignon said of the rehearsals that preceded the actual iPhone unveiling. “But it quickly got really uncomfortable. Very rarely did I see him become completely unglued — it happened, but mostly he just looked at you and very directly said in a very loud and stern voice, ‘You are [expletive] up my company,’ or, ‘If we fail, it will be because of you.’ He was just very intense. And you would always feel an inch tall.”
What a truly charming man Mr Jobs was.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Because it wasn't ready?

I have to think that they have been working on this for at least 6 months or longer. Am I the only one who thinks they should be further along? It seems kind of pathetic to me in a way. I'm sure true fanboys will wholeheartedly disagree and list countless reasons why I'm wrong, but still . . . they seemingly have been at this game a long time and should have it well in hand by now as far as I'm concerned. A few minor cosmetic changes and all stability goes out the window? Why does it have to be that way? How about stability first, features second and cartoon cosmetics dead last? Oh well . .

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
A few minor cosmetic changes and all stability goes out the window? Why does it have to be that way?.

This line just makes me think you don't understand at all how an OS is developed. Apple just introduced massive changes throughout the system, it's far more than a re-skinning that makes everything work in Yosemite.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I have to think that they have been working on this for at least 6 months or longer. Am I the only one who thinks they should be further along? It seems kind of pathetic to me in a way. I'm sure true fanboys will wholeheartedly disagree and list countless reasons why I'm wrong, but still . . . they seemingly have been at this game a long time and should have it well in hand by now as far as I'm concerned. A few minor cosmetic changes and all stability goes out the window? Why does it have to be that way? How about stability first, features second and cartoon cosmetics dead last? Oh well . .

You DO realize this is not "a few cosmetic changes" don't you? Between iOS and OSX there are 4000 new APIs, and iCloud Disk, Handoff, and Continuity alone are drastic under-the-hood architecture changes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It was a demonstration and the OS is not ready for primetime. Just look at the amount of bugs and issues with the version that the developers have. I'd say give it time and we'll see the features.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Because the point of a beta is so that developers can get they're apps working in time for public release. Those features will arrive sooner or later.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
In one of the sessions I watched, they had to go to the backup mac since the first one crashed. That is why there are two.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
what doesn't make any sense is that Apple didn't include Siri for OS X! :mad:

Why do you really need siri on a desktop? I hardly ever use it on my mobile device and really do not feel any need to shout at my iMac any more than I do now. I think Apple considers it a mobile application and it wont be released in OS X for a while, or at least until they feel they have perfected the experience.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Have a look at this video compilation to see what happens when things don't go quite right at an Apple keynote:

It was especially cool to see Steve Jobs admit that he didn't know everything.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

They always have two of whatever they are demo'ing. You don't always see it, like in the past they'd have a single monitor but two computers with a KVM-switch.

It's in case something goes wrong with the one, so they can switch over to the other and still do the damn demo. See the video above where steve goes 'I think we have a little bug here', tries to force quit and then decides to give up and switch to the backup (with a clean desktop) instead. That was with a KVM but obviously that won't work with iMacs or iPads so they stick two of each up on stage instead.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hi Guys.

Internal builds (such as what they used at WWDC) are on a different release cycle than the developer builds. When the public beta launches this summer, it will be yet another different release cycle than either the internal or developer tracks. It's not necessarily an "older" version, it's just a different version targeted at a different group of individuals.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

They have always used two Macs for a presentation. It's called redundancy. They more than likely have a spare iPad and iPhone under the podium as well.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Brilliant

It makes perfect sense. What DEVELOPERS need at this moment is a set of reasonably working OS X code needed to test existing API compatibility, and to work on new API functionality with their apps/applications. You don't need dark mode to test this for instance. What Apple MARKETING needs at this moment is a demonstration that represents substantially what the final product would look like to give CONSUMERS the idea of what's coming. You don't need reasonably working code other that what's needed for the demo.

I'm not sure why people think that DPs are there for anything more than developers testing functionality with their own software. For instance, iOS7 betas never had the new sounds for ringers/alerts... not even the last one. Why? No need for it. They don't give you the "latest trunk code" on a developer's beta. They give you the "latest developer branch" which is what you need to test functionality. This is actually perfectly normal development practice...

So very well said. Perfect. Just bloody perfect.

NickPP

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2014
There's always a reason to their so called madness, and it's quite obvious if you ask me why they haven't released the WWDC version. The version presented was a refined build that they spent the previous week and/or two weeks working on and refining things to be as smooth as possible.

While you might think refining is great and it should be released, it's often not that best type of refining. Often times you'll find them pulling out all the stops, and removing core functions that way it's just a essentials that they want to showcase. Not only that, but you'll find the amount of given resource usage is driven to extreme levels to insure a responsive presentation.

All in all, it's not something you're going to be wanting to run unless you just want the showcased materials.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Probably because what they used was a finely choreographed and rehearsed presentation and they tweaked their OS X Mac's to do only what they needed it to do. Just like the Golden Path they used for Steve at the announcement of the original iPhone.

Interesting how the majority of the article is how the engineers were drinking the whole time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.