Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FightForTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Hello MacRumors,

This is my first post here but I have been using the forums as a resource for a long time, this is just the first time I haven't found a preexisting fix, and thus never needed to make an account. Any way the problem:

I recently invested in a Microsoft Arch Touch after reading in multiple places that it works great with Mac, and that it was a plug and chug kind of mouse. This being said I purchased one with high expectations and at first, just from the unboxing was very pleased. Unfortunately my joy was short lived, as I plugged it into my MBP running Mountain Lion it at first seemed fine, but then I realized that both mouse buttons were executing the right mouse butting action. That is when I clicked the left mouse button I was getting drop down menus all over the place. Supposedly many people have had success with this mouse without the Mac drivers so I was hoping to avoid those. I also plugged the mouse into a Linux rig, as well as a ChromeBook I had around, the exact same issue was true, which leads me to believe it is a hardware issue, or a unix based os issue as all three are unix. Finally I will say this particular mouse was purchased at a Wal-Mart (I hate the place with a burning passion) but the local Staples and Best Buy did not have them in stock, and I am traveling in a few days so I did not want to pay for rushed delivery for an online order. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
To me it sounds like it may be defective (I don't personally own this mouse, but I have a friend who uses it with their iMac and they haven't had problems). Is exchanging it for a replacement at Wal-Mart not an option?

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Sounds like a faulty mouse. Take it back for a replacement, and take your MBP with you so you can try the new one in the store if it makes you fell better, but there's no guarantee that it won't fail later on.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Sounds like a faulty mouse, nothing to do with Unix compatibility or it being a Microsoft product.

Go and exchange it.

FightForTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
[Fixed] Not Sure What Happened

Thanks for all the replies. I figured it out, though I am not sure why this happened. In one last effort before returning the device and making to two hour drive to my next closest Best Buy, a much more reliable reseller in my opinion, I plugged in the mouse and thought, "hey maybe if I hold down control it will act like a toggle and switch the right click back to a left click." This did in fact work, to my great surprise. However this trick was only working for what should have been the only right mouse button. I then went into settings, I was on Linux, and switched the mouse buttons, this sort of solved the problem. On another whim I switched the buttons back and all is solved!!!!!!

Last edited:

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Well done. It sounds rather screwy to me. Was the problem only on Linux or on OSX as well? This being an Apple forum, I presumed you were having the problem on OSX.

FightForTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
The problem was happening on all of the operating systems, Linux, Chrome OS, and os X. I assume the mouse just needed to figure itself out. I had read somewhere that for some mice technically meant for windows machines they should be plugged into a pc before being used on another os, so maybe it just needed some onboard config configured...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.