Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Any news yet ?

Good luck

Yes! I finally have news! I got back to Chicago last night, so after a long day of school I biked over to the Apple Store to get my Powerbook. I found out they had replaced a "blower" and the logic board again. I signed the form, the guy gave me the computer, and walked away. They were busy, I was tired, so I stuffed it in my bag and biked home without testing it out.

I got home - and the computer won't boot. At all. It's doing the SAME THING it did when I FIRST brought it in to Apple months ago. The hard drive spins up, but no chime, no screen flicker, nothing. Then it dies again. So... the logic board is dead again.

I am calling AppleCare tomorrow again, and this time demanding a new computer. Six repairs and it's DOA again? Sheesh. This is just stupid at this point.

Edit: I should give some extra back story, I just saw I hadn't posted this part - once I dropped off the computer, I left town for my break. I figured if it was a hardware problem, they'd mail me my replacement wherever I was, and they could mail the broken Powerbook from the store. Well, four days in to my break, I got a call from the Apple Store saying that I could get my laptop, that it had been repaired. I explained to the guy that I hadn't asked for a repair, merely for the hardware test to be run to verify it was a hardware issue. I had even told them I was expecting a replacement. He said that well, it's been fixed, so there's no more issue. He refused to tell me WHAT exactly they had fixed, saying they never tell people over the phone since they're just too busy, and that I'd just have to come in two weeks from then to find out. I called the AppleCare rep I had spoken to earlier, filled him in (left him a message, actually, since he didn't pick up), and he never called me back.

He's getting an angry call tomorrow, though.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Christ alive livingfortoday this is one bad trek to get your lappy repaired, ever think of just scraping it for parts and buying another used PB or saving up for an MBP?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Christ alive livingfortoday this is one bad trek to get your lappy repaired, ever think of just scraping it for parts and buying another used PB or saving up for an MBP?

Well, I thought I'd get a new MBP to replace this one last time around, but so far, that has not happened. So... we'll see. I actually called, and left the guy a message. If he doesn't call me back tomorrow, I'll start over again with customer service on their end.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Well, I thought I'd get a new MBP to replace this one last time around, but so far, that has not happened. So... we'll see. I actually called, and left the guy a message. If he doesn't call me back tomorrow, I'll start over again with customer service on their end.

Offtopic: But I love the PowerBook G4's I had a 1.25GHz 15"er as my first Mac in January in '04 - was a great machine, never really had a problem, and Apple was good with it, I dropped a pack of batteries on it, busted the keyboard and they replaced it no questions asked :).

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
If I were you I would write a LONG detailed letter to Steve Jobs office, send it by fax, certified mail, and by FedEx. His assistant will find it and take care of you.

We can hope.

If I were you I would write a LONG detailed letter to Steve Jobs office, send it by fax, certified mail, and by FedEx. His assistant will find it and take care of you.

We can hope.

I second that, I (vaguely) remember when iGary had his problems with his powermac and eventually emailed Steve's office and it was repaired. Try by email to steve @ mac . com before bothering with fax etc. :D

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
I second that, I (vaguely) remember when iGary had his problems with his powermac and eventually emailed Steve's office and it was repaired. Try by email to steve @ mac . com before bothering with fax etc. :D

Agreed. I've never had such extensive hardware trouble, but I have had an issue before and sent an e-mail to Steve Jobs' department and I got a personal phone call from someone high up to talk to me about it. It's worth a shot, anyhow. Think of it as asking to speak to their supervisor. Their really, really high-up supervisor.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
The first letter I sent to Apple (after repair #3 or #4) came back with a standard "this stuff happens" response. So.. maybe I'll try again anyways, after repair #6. What email address would be most effective to hit up? Is that Steve one a real address?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Try calling this: (408) 996-1010

From what I've just googled, thats one of Apples main numbers.

Also try steve@mac.com and sjobs@apple.com

And send a letter to 1 Infinite Loop and address it to him or his "administrative assistants"

A fax number would really be ideal, but from what I've read you need to call corporate and ask for it.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
The first letter I sent to Apple (after repair #3 or #4) came back with a standard "this stuff happens" response. So.. maybe I'll try again anyways, after repair #6. What email address would be most effective to hit up? Is that Steve one a real address?

Lower end people do not care. Its just like dealing with car dealerships. You take your car to them for repair, they screw you and tell you tough. You call corporate and all of a sudden you have a brand new transmission in your Jeep.

Corporate America people, embrace it and exploit it!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
man, i would be livid. i second or triple the others and say you write a letter.

you deserve a new one.

i gotta ask this though...you say you 'bike' home? do you have special case to keep the laptop from bouncing around? or do you mean 'bike' as in motorcyle, which would mean maybe less bouncing around? I'm wondering if the bouncing affected the HD the last time. not saying it's your fault. merely asking b/c if i get one, i'd like a case to put it in while i ride my bike (bicycle) back and forth from local appts...

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
i gotta ask this though...you say you 'bike' home? do you have special case to keep the laptop from bouncing around? or do you mean 'bike' as in motorcyle, which would mean maybe less bouncing around? I'm wondering if the bouncing affected the HD the last time. not saying it's your fault. merely asking b/c if i get one, i'd like a case to put it in while i ride my bike (bicycle) back and forth from local appts...

Yeah, I ride a bicycle, about 30 miles round-trip. I use a Timbuk2 Commute case, which holds my laptop nice and secure (and safe from snow and rain). I rode with my Powerbook Ti for over two years with the same case, and it was fine. There's really no bouncing or anything, unless I hit a big pothole - in which case I'd be more worried about my head than the laptop!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, another 45 minute call to the same customer service rep today, and I was told that they can't verify it's a hardware problem, so I have to take it in to the Apple Store again, and have them verify it. He also told me that I need to make sure they understand they are not to repair it this time if they find a problem. I told them last time, but they did anyways. He said if they hadn't, I'd have a MBP sittin' right here now instead of a broken Powerbook. Uh... so I guess that's their fault, but mine too for not explaining to them well enough? I don't know.

So, tomorrow I'm gettin' up bright and early to set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. Whee...

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
No matter what kind of computer you own, no matter the brand, never admit to having worked on it yourself before taking it in. Whether or not it is still under warranty, don't tell them you messed with it. At that point, it pretty much automatically becomes your fault.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Thanks everybody. I actually have to push back my Apple Store adventure for a few days since I'm busy, but I should make it there Sunday or Monday. I did finally shoot off a letter to the email addresses given to me above. Any idea about how long I should wait for a response? Or if it's normal to even get one? Thanks.

Edit: The steve@mac.com email came back undelivered since the box was "over quota".

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Thanks everybody. I actually have to push back my Apple Store adventure for a few days since I'm busy, but I should make it there Sunday or Monday. I did finally shoot off a letter to the email addresses given to me above. Any idea about how long I should wait for a response? Or if it's normal to even get one? Thanks.

Edit: The steve@mac.com email came back undelivered since the box was "over quota".

LOL, Steve's mailbox being full ! - I wish you luck, hopefully the next post from you will be sent from your shiny new MBP !

Jorlwind

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
This only confirms my accessment that applecare sucks (compiled with my own experience).

The toted Magsafe powercord on my Macbook started mysteriously breaking and fraying around the input. When it finally died I took an hour drive down to the applestore. (zoo pen. 23rd of december and a huge christmas crowd. had to wait half an hour for a "Genius" to tell me that my cord was busted(No **** Sherlock!) and they didn't have a replacement in the back. They told me they couldn't directly ship me a new one and to call applecare. so called Applecare on the 26th. Thank God I didn't have to wait as long as you did on the phone. got a rep who said they would ship it out overnight.

Meanwhile i'm left with a $1500 paperwieght with school fast approaching.

"overnight" passes over and over again. I call them again and this time they tell me "check your repair status online." I'm pretty sure I angered the rep when I told him "That'd be great if my computer had power. Mine has none for some reason" "TJ" doesn't say anything to this. He tells me he'll reroute me to some "dispatch" department so I can check the package status against the number they gave me. After an hour on hold my cellphone drops the call.

School starts, and I desperately need my computer. So now yesterday I get back from my college classes and walk in on my dad who decided to call them in my place. Now we're with "Kevin." My dad turns "Kevin's" day into a bad one. "Kevin" is smarter then "TJ" He tells my dad that apple Currently has "A shortage of powercords"

Now realize that my dad is much more... plain spoken then me. First he tells Kevin that maybe he should waddle his hide way down to where they keep the new Macbooks and pop open the box and steal the powercord. To which Kevin says "Well uhh.. I'll talk to the supervisor" Then my dad threatens to take the thing back and buy a dell and tries to get ahold of the supervisor ("Kevin" declines) and finally threatens (And I quote) "If the cord isn't here by Monday, I am personally buying a f***ing plane ticket down there so I can take a s*** on your desk" before hanging up.

Using the schools computers this morning I checked the repair status through apple. As of yesterday (the fourth) it's now "shipping" and in the poession of DHL. The tracker says it should be here today.

Apparently "Kevin" took the threat seriously. Your deal was a lot worse then mine. I hope it works out good for you. Apple needs to work on its support a little bit more. Good luck!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I love you guys.

I just got a call from "the executive offices of Steve Jobs" regarding my computer. I couldn't pick up the phone at the time, but on the message the guy said he was taking "full control" of this case, and they would be trying to get me into a working computer as fast as possible. He gave me his personal number, which wasn't an 800 number, so I hope it's a direct line to him.

I'm going to give them a call back this afternoon, and see what happens!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
haha. that's pretty freaking cool. definitely worth moving up the chain when possible, especially for such obviously ridiculous circumstances like yours. it costs them far less to give you a new laptop than it does to lose a customer for life.

i've heard multiple stories of people getting responses from steve himself by email, or at least having success with his office and his underlings.

keep us posted!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Why? It's Dell-usion btw. ;) :D

I did have a problem with a Latitude a couple of years ago. Duff batteries. I escalated it much in the same way as you might with Apple, and I was deluged with batteries from different departments. I got 6 I think in all. One was returned because it was an actual shipping error, but the rest remained with me. I wrote to them to say would you like the excess back, and they said no, keep them. I kept a spare, ebayed the rest for a tidy profit. (these were not the exploding batteries ;) )

Much more recently I also complained to Dell that I wasn't able to change an order. This was pretty selfish it has to be said, but I escalated it through the support chain and they came through like champs. I had a dual-core replaced with a quad-core for only the difference in price.

I also can't fault Apple's problem response either - when I deemed the Macbook a POS and elected to return the iMacs (not actually anywhere near as bad as the MB's and therefore a victim of collateral damage) as well as the MB's, Apple did respond very quickly. I received a full refund very quickly after going through the channels in much the way that I might have with Dell.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, I had good luck with them in the past when I first bought an Intel iMac and needed to return it (it had TONS of problems). They were great, and refunded the money quickly. But this time...

ANYWAYS! News!

I spoke to the customer service rep, and he told me there was no need to bring it in to the store, I would be getting a new MacBook Pro. He said he would wait until Tuesday to see if anything new was announced, and then he would email me the papers I needed to sign and fax back in order to start the return process. Then I'd just slap a FedEx shipping label onto the PowerBook box, and when FedEx scans it, Apple will ship me out the entry-level MacBook Pro or whatever gets announced Tuesday morning overnight.

So. I guess this story has a happy ending after all, though I wish I hadn't had to fight since September with Apple to get it!

I don't know if I'll be keeping the MacBook Pro or not, though. Part of me really wants the new laptop, but the other part of me is scared that I'll open it up and find it has problems - and then this will all start over again. This whole experience has really made me distrust Apple, unfortunately. Not to say I'll be buying a Dell anytime soon or anything, but I'm much less likely to buy new from them again. Used and tested is where I'm at!

Jorlwind

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
I'm sure there isn't anyone here who wouldn't mind taking it off you hands, but dmnit dude you've been through hell, might as well enjoy the reward of your labors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.