Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I can’t figure out what forum to post this in, it’s an apple account/ID/whatever issue, not specific to ios, but nothing seems like it exactly fits...

I just turned on my iPad, and it asked me to enter my Apple ID login. Thought that was weird, but I did...it then said my account was locked and gave me the option to unlock it. Even weirder...had me jump through maybe 3 hoops, and then it unlocked it, and I got a support email saying it was unlocked. Never got one saying it was locked or anything though, and there doesn’t appear to be a support page that shows you intrusion attempts.

Does anyone know what could trigger this? The only thing I can think is it means someone knows my Apple count email, and was trying to use it to get in to my account, but (hopefully) couldn’t.

if so...hopefully I’m safe, I mean unless they can guess my password, and that’s not possible unless apple lets them try 90 trillion times, which they probably don’t....

I should note if relevant that I do NOT have second factor turned on, because 1) I don’t feel I have enough apple devices to use it safely where I for sure couldn’t get myself locked out, and 2) I’m not certain whether it allows you to NOT use a phone number to unlock it, even if you’re also able to unlock it with other apple devices. Allowing an account to be unlocked with sms is NOT second factor authentication, it actually DECREASES your account’s security but obnoxiously typically when companies talk about second factor, they really mean sms...that may or may not be the case for apple, but either way I don’t have enough apple devices to do true second factor safety IMO. (Wish I did, but I don’t)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Had that come up kind of randomly on two different devices over the past few weeks.

Reactions: Wolfpup

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Not sure what happened with your issue. However, I STRONGLY suggest activating the MFA feature.
I understand your reservations.

Alas, read the 'How it works' section. It states you can use a mobile number for authentication...

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Had that come up kind of randomly on two different devices over the past few weeks.

That makes me feel vaguely better ?

I just got the locked account warning AGAIN, I guess this is 5 days later. Man, if this is someone trying to guess my account password that’s creepy.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Not sure what happened with your issue. However, I STRONGLY suggest activating the MFA feature.
I understand your reservations.

Alas, read the 'How it works' section. It states you can use a mobile number for authentication...

Using sms for second factor though actually makes your account less secure. I’d only use second factor if you can remove sms or the like and only do it with some secure method, and then only if I had enough devices that could unlock it ?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Aaaaaaand I just had to unlock my account again. For the third time in 11 days.

I wish Apple had a way to see login attempts, and where they’re coming from, more info like Google kind of has.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Apple's 2FA tells you where the request is coming from if you use another device where you are signed in to your iCloud account to authenticate.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Apple's 2FA tells you where the request is coming from if you use another device where you are signed in to your iCloud account to authenticate.
But not otherwise? I’ can’t find anything relevant on their site, save for a somewhat useful list of devices logged in to my account. (Somewhat useful because it has multiple entries that aren’t clearly labeled for like a Windows system where I’m logged in through iTunes plus one or ore web browsers logged in)

I can’t find any info at all about intrusion attempts, but have no idea what else would be causing this. Went about a week and got ANOTHER locked notice.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Unbelievable. I just had to unlock my account AGAIN right after mentioning on here that I had to unlock my account a couple days ago again. ??‍♀️???

either something is totally screwy, or apple’s letting someone basically harass me by trying to log in to my account again and again.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ugh. Apple’s support thing just sends me in a loop. I write to them, they send me an email with a link to contact supposedly a different team. I go through that link which just takes me back to the same email support page I started on, which if I use, just has someone send me the same kind of email again with the same link...

soooooo I guess apple can’t help. Yay corporate bureaucracy.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Are you using 2-factor authentication? Because you absolutely should, not just for your Apple account (which seems like it has been compromised, or someone is attempting to compromise it) but for any accounts you have that offer it.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I dealt with a similar issue with Google years ago, they kept sending me emails 'someone has your password' (unlikely, it's got more than 6 characters, a symbol, a few random capitals, and numbers) with no info (it kept me logged in though, just sent endless emails about it) and the only way to make it stop (as spam blocking didn't work) was to turn 2FA on. I hate that since it makes it a pretty big chore if I'm not at home (say on a vacation with one device) and can't access my services, but it was the only method to stop those stupid emails piling up.

Interesting thing was I never changed my password, and get no alerts about needing 2FA approval sent to me (which happens if I login on a new device or someone tries to) and no security alerts. It's either their method of advertising 2FA or something down the pipe fixed the 'issue' whatever it was when I enabled it. I have two such accounts and only one was affected.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Are you using 2-factor authentication? Because you absolutely should, not just for your Apple account (which seems like it has been compromised, or someone is attempting to compromise it) but for any accounts you have that offer it.

well the problem is it looks like their “two factor authentication” requires that it be accessible through SMS, which means it’s NOT two factor, it’s less than one, since sms is insecure.

if it let you remove sms from being an authentication method, was true two factor authentication, then the problem would become I don’t have enough Apple devices to risk it and could get locked out of my apple account.

pits super tempting for me to turn on their “2fa” just to get rid of having my account locked constantly, but I don’t want to decrease my account security, especially not when someone is apparently trying to compromise it. ?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
If you have more than one Apple device, Apple’s 2FA is done through a notification in another Apple device that is signed in to your Apple ID (computer, iPad, Watch, maybe even Apple TV?).

However, it seems like if you only have one device (or if you don’t have access to your other devices), it’s done through SMS. I do agree with you that SMS is not secure and easily intercepted.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Google's implentation is far superior, you get a prompt on all connected devices with a 'yes' or 'nope' button. Done via Play Services. Not SMS. Apple needs to implement something akin to that via iCloud or something.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Just wanted to chime in to say I'm in the same annoyed position as OP, and it is seemingly something to do with my obstinate refusal to drink Apple's MFA/2FA kool aid. We shouldn't be penalised for not wanting to opt-in to a flawed system that, as OP states, is more hassle than it's worth unless you have multiple iDevices on hand at all times. I'd hate to be locked out of my MacBook, for example, because I only took an iPad on vacation with me..... There must be a better way, but how do we get Apple to hear us on this??

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I can’t figure out what forum to post this in, it’s an apple account/ID/whatever issue, not specific to ios, but nothing seems like it exactly fits...

I just turned on my iPad, and it asked me to enter my Apple ID login. Thought that was weird, but I did...it then said my account was locked and gave me the option to unlock it. Even weirder...had me jump through maybe 3 hoops, and then it unlocked it, and I got a support email saying it was unlocked. Never got one saying it was locked or anything though, and there doesn’t appear to be a support page that shows you intrusion attempts.

Does anyone know what could trigger this? The only thing I can think is it means someone knows my Apple count email, and was trying to use it to get in to my account, but (hopefully) couldn’t.

if so...hopefully I’m safe, I mean unless they can guess my password, and that’s not possible unless apple lets them try 90 trillion times, which they probably don’t....

I should note if relevant that I do NOT have second factor turned on, because 1) I don’t feel I have enough apple devices to use it safely where I for sure couldn’t get myself locked out, and 2) I’m not certain whether it allows you to NOT use a phone number to unlock it, even if you’re also able to unlock it with other apple devices. Allowing an account to be unlocked with sms is NOT second factor authentication, it actually DECREASES your account’s security but obnoxiously typically when companies talk about second factor, they really mean sms...that may or may not be the case for apple, but either way I don’t have enough apple devices to do true second factor safety IMO. (Wish I did, but I don’t)

You should not have to enter Your Apple ID to use the iPad.

The Apple ID is needed for things like iCloud or at the App store.

Things like passcode or fingerprint are used to unlock the iPad so you can use your iPad. You do not use your Apple ID to unlock your device.

Do not enter Your Apple ID make use of passcode or use fingerprint. Only use your Apple ID for things at App store, iTunes or iCloud.

Never use your Apple ID for unlocking the device use passcode or fingerprint

Also are you using 14.1 or 14.2 or 13.7

13.7 and 14.2 is more stable and less buggy.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
You should not have to enter Your Apple ID to use the iPad.

The Apple ID is needed for things like iCloud or at the App store.

Things like passcode or fingerprint are used to unlock the iPad so you can use your iPad. You do not use your Apple ID to unlock your device.

Do not enter Your Apple ID make use of passcode or use fingerprint. Only use your Apple ID for things at App store, iTunes or iCloud.

Never use your Apple ID for unlocking the device use passcode or fingerprint

Also are you using 14.1 or 14.2 or 13.7

13.7 and 14.2 is more stable and less buggy.

Yeah but you’re locked out of even getting program updates.

I’m on whatever’s newest, 14.2 I think.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Yeah but you’re locked out of even getting program updates.

I’m on whatever’s newest, 14.2 I think.
You should not have to enter any thing to update apps.

I update apps all the time and no passcode or Apple ID neeeded.

The point of passcode or fingerprint is to stop some one from using your iPad example at the library well you gone to the bathroom or some one who burglarize your home and takes your iPad or some one who takes your iPad well you at school.

Your Apple ID is for things like iCloud, App Store, music so on.

Has for some one hacking well they would have to have your Apple ID and password or have your Apple ID and guess your password to gain access not to your device but access to your iCloud, purchase apps for them self and music so on.

Well Apple may have some security thing built in where if you get the password wrong 4 times or 6 times or so at the same time they may freeze your Apple ID to stop some one well password guessing. May be that is what is happening to you.

why not make new Apple ID and new password.

That say your Apple ID is cyronicyst234D and your password is say XT4DET45

Well some one may have cyronicyst234D and be password guessing and this is triggering some thing at Apple server at their building.

Last edited:

AppleTester

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2018

I dont know if this might help you figure out your issue with Apple ID but I had the same problem and after lots of due diligence I came to the conclusion that my VPN was causing the issue.
I always use VPN to connect and browse the net or for other online activities, the problem was that my VPN server was acting up recently and disconnecting randomly and as such Apple servers would see me being logged in to my account from 2 different IP addressed almost instantly and as such their security procedure would kick in to lock the account.
So I just changed the VPN server to a one more stable and the disconnection problem has not happened anymore and so I haven't been locked out of my account for a while now!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.