Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I just setup a smart home, NEST is the winner, no competition. Can you imagine Homepod if Apple had bought NEST? Go to Best Buy, Amazon and Google dominate, Apple is years behind.

Front door lock
Alarm System
TV
Thermostat
Fire Alarm
Google Nest Home Video Display

All tied together in a single App, can ask Google to show me video from any camera on the TV or Google NEST Home.

if I’m missing something, please tell me because I really wanted a full homekit setup

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
What would the HomePod be able to do differently if Apple owned Nest? HomePod still responds to HomeKit requests, but HomeKit can take all your different products from different manufacturers and put them in a single app. From a business standpoint I think they missed out on some money by not buying them, but from a user standpoint I don't see how them owning Nest would really benefit me at all. I have a full HomeKit setup and am in general very happy with it. There are hiccups here and there, but that is going to be true with any of them. I had Alexa in the past and it had hiccups at times as well.

I just think you're missing the point of HomeKit.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You could’ve had a full HomeKit setup using all the above accessories and then some. I do and they all integrate together very well using scenes and automations in a single app and I’m not tied into a particular service subscription.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Been a Nest user since the first thermostat, and also have their cameras and doorbell. I personally don’t like google, but I’m invested in the ecosystem. When I got the doorbell, it forced me into a google home subscription, and now it’s pushing hard to make me ditch my Amazon Alexa devices and into the google assistant which I’m not doing.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Apple's smart home strategy is confusing to me. Changes in iOS 13 seem to have been made by people who don't use Homekit very much. Documentation on the product -and recent changes - is sparse at best.

As for thermostats, Nest went to Google. Amazon pumped a bunch of money into Ecobee last year. So if they (eventually) buy Ecobee and decide to make it an Echo-exclusive like Google did with Nest, where does that leave Apple?

I like Homekit. I get the sense Apple isn't super-dedicated to it though. Wish they were.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just setup a smart home, NEST is the winner, no competition. Can you imagine Homepod if Apple had bought NEST? Go to Best Buy, Amazon and Google dominate, Apple is years behind.

Front door lock
Alarm System
TV
Thermostat
Fire Alarm

All tied together in a single App, can ask Google to show me video from any camera on the TV or Google NEST Home.

if I’m missing something, please tell me because I really wanted a full homekit setup
I do not believe that Nest has complete list of Products. I already use Nest cameras and Smoke/CO alarms but compliment it with Samsung for sensors and Honeywell for heating.The Samsung app can integrate all of these products.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple's smart home strategy is confusing to me. Changes in iOS 13 seem to have been made by people who don't use Homekit very much. Documentation on the product -and recent changes - is sparse at best.

As for thermostats, Nest went to Google. Amazon pumped a bunch of money into Ecobee last year. So if they (eventually) buy Ecobee and decide to make it an Echo-exclusive like Google did with Nest, where does that leave Apple?

I like Homekit. I get the sense Apple isn't super-dedicated to it though. Wish they were.
Apple doesn’t have any 1st party accessories for HomeKit so I wonder what if any cut they’re getting from the the 3rd parties to be able to integrate their hardware. Makes you wonder why the offerings for HomeKit are much less than that of Amazon and Google. They say it’s security issues but Apple changed that a couple years ago. Maybe Apple is beating the third party manufacturers over the head and that’s why a lot of them don’t care to integrate with HomeKit. Only thing I can think of now is Apple getting their cut from people purchasing iCloud storage for the upcoming secure video. They also have the secure network thing coming out too.
With iOS 13.2 around the corner, we will get back our multi tiles for single accessories so they are listening to the users somewhat.
A more robust automations system woulD be better. Example - Temperature based automations.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Apple doesn’t have any 1st party accessories for HomeKit so I wonder what if any cut they’re getting from the the 3rd parties to be able to integrate their hardware. Makes you wonder why the offerings for HomeKit are much less than that of Amazon and Google. They say it’s security issues but Apple changed that a couple years ago. Maybe Apple is beating the third party manufacturers over the head and that’s why a lot of them don’t care to integrate with HomeKit. Only thing I can think of now is Apple getting their cut from people purchasing iCloud storage for the upcoming secure video. They also have the secure network thing coming out too.
With iOS 13.2 around the corner, we will get back our multi tiles for single accessories so they are listening to the users somewhat.
A more robust automations system woulD be better. Example - Temperature based automations.
Agreed. I'm actually firing temp-based automations with Ecobee sensors via Homekit, but I needed Hesperus app to create them. On the original topic, if I were Apple I would probably try to buy Ecobee before Amazon does. This is assuming Apple doesn't think home automation is just another of their "hobbies". I'd really like to see this huge, wealthy company dedicate some more resources to Homekit. I can't even find Homekit as an option on their feedback page.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I loved my NEST and think it offers a better experience over Ecobee but I just can't stand Google and when the time came, I swapped it out.

I also feel that Apple needs to put some more $ into the Home Automation Market.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
How can Apple be behind when they don’t even sell HomeKit products? smh

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
How can Apple be behind when they don’t even sell HomeKit products? smh
I think that's the OP's point. Amazon has Alexa and the Echo devices, one of which is also a fully functioning smart home hub. They're busy (via acquisitions) buying up Ring, funding Ecobee and generally getting involved and invested in the companies and products that pair with their ecosystem. Likewise, Google offers a home hub and bought Nest this year. Apple has bought what, exactly, to augment their smart home platform? I can't think of a single company.

When Google bought Nest, any dreams of Homekit compatibility with those products seemed to go out the window. If Amazon buys Ecobee, it's not a reach to suggest Ecobee Homekit support may become a casualty too. I think those who are running Homekit would feel the platform has more long term viability if Apple were also investing in companies that build the products that work with Homekit. With the Holidays approaching, it is notable that Best Buy in the US has tables dedicated to Amazon and Google's smart home ecosystems, and Apple isn't anywhere to be seen in that arena.

Homekit is a decent platform, and offers a lot in terms of privacy. I just wish Apple would go all-in and get some core products under their umbrella like Google and Amazon seem to be doing.

--

EDIT: And I log into Reddit this morning and this is the first thing I see.... ;) Just hope it's not a case of too little, too late.

Last edited:

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I'm as big of an Apple fan as it gets and my whole house is Nest (doorbell, cameras, smoke alarms, alarm, hubs and soon a Max Hub). The cameras are what sold me. The way the doorbell detects people and packages combined with the way the hub shows whoever is at the door when the bell rings is pretty nice.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nest build quality is great, and they look nice, especially if you can paint the wall and not use the vanity plate. The internet functionality was clearly the focus and it does well there. Thats about it for the good though.

Its functionality is a bit wonky especially when using motion considering the thermostat often can't see you. The reliability is questionable, I do controls and automation for work and have replaced 2-3 now all having the same problem (orange wire not energizing for cooling on a heat pump) and no these were all installed months apart by different contractors. The UI meh, I would describe it as tedious and vague. I installed a humidifier on a hvac system that was using a nest and it gave me water droplets icons to set the humidifier level, that's like having a moon and sun to set the temperature (not sure if that has changed). And its picky about what equipment it will work on, certain zoning systems can't handle one, let alone more due to its power consumption (its not "a lot" but compared to a basic thermostat it does).

The Nest Protect (CO/Smoke detector). Average at best, there is a lot worse out there but the Protect is nearing the price of a low level co monitor. The difference is a low level monitor will go off around 4-5 ppm of CO in seconds while I believe the Protect qualifies for the British standards institution spec which is 30 ppm CO the alarm will sound after 120 minutes, 100 ppm CO 10-40 minutes (that is really pushing your luck).

I don't have experience with them but their IQ cam looks really good. I've been thinking about buying one just to compare to what I have now. But overall, Google can have Nest.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

OutGolfn

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010

Front door lock
Alarm System
TV
Thermostat
Fire Alarm

You can have both Nest and Home Kit now! Look up Starling Home Hub as it integrates Nest devices into your Home Kit and even use Siri! Just posted about it in this forum it’s $89 plus shipping. Works great! It’s plug and play. Looks like Nest X Yale locks are on road map for next month.

Last edited:

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
You can have both Nest and Home Kit now! Look up Sparling Home Hub as it integrates Nest devices into your Home Kit and even use Siri! Just posted about it in this forum it’s $89 plus shipping. Works great! It’s plug and play. Looks like Nest X Yale locks are on road map for next month.

I Google'd it and couldn't find anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.