Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The full-width dock looks way nicer than the current one.

• Absolutely!

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Hell no.

Votes: 54 91.5%

• Total voters

007 Junior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
The Netherlands
Ever since Yosemite, I wondered why Apple hasn't stretched out the dock over the entire surface of the screen. Just like it is on the iPhone and iPad. That way it has a way more consistent look than the current 'floating' dock. I managed to create the dock, as I had it in mind, with cDock and I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it better or do you rather stick with the 'floating' dock?

Schermafbeelding_2016_12_30_om_23_11_35.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Nah...
The Dock in macOS is a very different animal, compared to the Dock in iOS. The size of both the Dock, and the icons in the Dock are dynamic. The macOS Dock is continually modified with more icons as you open other apps.
Some folks use a Dock with only minimal icons, or don't ever use the Dock, leaving it hidden at all times.
Some folks put the Dock on the side (I leave it on the right, and never use the bottom position), and having the dock available at all times, without needing to go to the home screen, then, of course, using the dock icons as drop points for files, either the copy files to folders, or to launch applications simply by dropping files on the dock icon - etc, etc, etc.
All part of the macOS experience, which is different in many ways from iOS.
I can easily extend the Dock to cover the edge of the screen, but I use the non-Dock areas in the corners for other purposes, such as dragging windows or files to those positions for easy retrieval. Yes, I know there are other ways to do this, but it is a part of my workflow. Can't do the same things on iOS. Hot Corners don't work the same with a fully extended Dock.
Bottom line - it's macOS, and the floating Dock is better.

But, to answer your question - I like the "look" of the full width Dock, but I won't ever use it that way if I have the choice, and it's not related to how it looks. It's the usability when floating (for me!)

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
I don't like your idea either. I am using both iMac 5K 27 and MacBook Air 13. I always short docks into small sizes and put dockbar on the left of screen with auto-hiding.

Your idea is a subset of current pattern. But not everyone is like you, nor me. So flexibility here is good for everyone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's fine until you're in other apps, especially on the 13" and less screens. Even though it would have the same dynamics as the original Dock, having the two corners pinned would make it look more cramped.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
The Dock on my system is pinned to the left and has enough stuff in it to keep it full size on my LG 5K display. I like that the Dock does not extend to the very top and bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I do miss being able to pin the dock to right side along the bottom of the screen with a terminal command. I think having the Trash being a moving target is silly.

how is the trash a 'moving target'? do you have magnification on? (in the dock's system preference settings)?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I do miss being able to pin the dock to right side along the bottom of the screen with a terminal command."

I agree.

I DISagree with the OP's idea. I prefer a dock that is "compact" and doesn't take up an entire stretch of the display.

I keep mine on the right side, and before Apple made it impossible to do so, I also had it "pegged" to the lower right corner, which (on the original Mac OS) was the normal spot for the trash can icon.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I guess it would work OK on my 12" MacBook, though the current dock design doesn't bother me at all. Can't imagine a dock that size on my 27" iMac though - that would be hideous.

The one dock improvement I would DESPERATELY like to see, is the ability to pin the bottom dock to a specific display. I prefer the bottom dock location, but it drives me batty when it jumps to the other display if I let my pointer drop too low.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
how is the trash a 'moving target'? do you have magnification on? (in the dock's system preference settings)?

Because as things move in and out of the dock, it expands and contracts, in both directions. Pinning the dock to the bottom side of the screen made the trash accessible by muscle memory, like on the classic desktop (pinning to the other side would accomplish the same thing for the Finder).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Not sure when was last time that I actually dragged something to the trash. It's always right-click, move to trash as it exists in the menu, eh? I may click on the Dock trash to see what is already IN the trash, but I only drag to it a couple times a year, maybe.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Not sure when was last time that I actually dragged something to the trash. It's always right-click, move to trash as it exists in the menu, eh? I may click on the Dock trash to see what is already IN the trash, but I only drag to it a couple times a year, maybe.

this, or highlight, then Command-Delete... anyway, is it when the dock is full screen, or? mine doesn't 'animate' when i go to put something in the trash...

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
probably no more peripherals made by apple.

its hard to understand how an eco-system can survive without peripherals.
but that seems to be apple's forward strategy.

how can only iPhone / iOS keep apple afloat i have no idea.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
probably no more peripherals made by apple.

its hard to understand how an eco-system can survive without peripherals.
but that seems to be apple's forward strategy.

how can only iPhone / iOS keep apple afloat i have no idea.

what's this have to do with the thread? just curious... :D

Andrew#Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
Ever since Yosemite, I wondered why Apple hasn't stretched out the dock over the entire surface of the screen. Just like it is on the iPhone and iPad. That way it has a way more consistent look than the current 'floating' dock. I managed to create the dock, as I had it in mind, with cDock and I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it better or do you rather stick with the 'floating' dock?

Schermafbeelding_2016_12_30_om_23_11_35.png
Somehow cDock doesn't work on macOS mojave...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.