Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
I’ve had this issue a couple times, and can’t figure out what the common element is, but sometimes (often after for some reason I have either opened in split screen, or put a safari window inadvertently in the side slide out), but then a window with MANY tabs will just be done. Can’t find it anywhere, all I have left is the one window with one tab, useless. I can’t figure out anyway to get BACK the window I had open with what is often 100+ tabs that I WANTED to save.

Is there A) any way to find these again (other than going through all history) B) any way to stop this behavior from happening?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I’m getting this a lot since upgrading to iOS13. I don’t know why it’s happening, but a new window has opened, and I can only find the old tabs by double clicking the home button to access everything open, then guessing which is the right window to click on (it’s not always obvious in the smaller images shown). I don’t know how to turn this annoying feature off. iPadOS seems another step down in usability.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Sadly I don’t see any other open windows, even with doubling clicking home or swiping up from bottom. Trying to swipe in from right doesn’t show anything else either. They really just seem gone, which is pretty annoying.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I can’t figure out anyway to get BACK the window I had open with what is often 100+ tabs that I WANTED to save.
100+ tabs... seriously? Tabs = memory usage = battery drain = performance degradation.
My unwanted personal opinion aside. Check Safari Close Tabs:
Settings > Safari > Tabs > Close Tabs = Manually
Ensure that you do not have it auto closing tabs after a day, week, month.

Reactions: one more

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
100+ tabs... seriously? Tabs = memory usage = battery drain = performance degradation.
My unwanted personal opinion aside. Check Safari Close Tabs:
Settings > Safari > Tabs > Close Tabs = Manually
Ensure that you do not have it auto closing tabs after a day, week, month.
normally I have really no performance or battery problem with even 450 tabs open. I know I WANT to get that down to much lower, but i'll have 400+ tabs open for many many months if not years.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
This happens to me intermittently / semi regularly since iOS 11. It is incredibly frustrating and to make it even more frustrating I use to split my tabs between normal and private mode so I could have a setup similar to having two safari windows - one for frequent use tabs and the other for longer term.

The reason I did this is because my entire reading list would constantly disappear with no way to get anything back. Even with iCloud on all was lost and turning off iCloud did not resolve the issue either.

Also for anyone reading this topic - on a side note, make sure you don’t clear website data in settings when tabs are open as this will clear all your tabs.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
I’m so getting sick of this. I had about 50 tabs opened with stuff I was going to read and just came into my iPad, which I use daily and ALL of them are gone again.

I havent’ done anything, the safari preferences is set to manual close only, and I haven’t deleted the cache or cookies in settings. Everything just gone and one open window.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Sounds like a RAM issue

I don't think iOS is designed to have that many tabs open

mrwamck

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
Hi it has been awhile since I have followed macforums but I just read about your problem with tabs disappearing and I can say that that has happened to a few times until I figured out what was happening.
I noticed that this would happen when I used the slide-over or used split mode (or whatever you call them).
I then pressed the home button twice and noticed that I would have 2 Safaris open. I just checked which one had all my tabs and just closed the other. Since then I feel safe when I think I have lost all my tabs.
I too, as someone mentioned above, use Normal & Private for different tabs/stuff.
Another thing I started saving my Tabs, both normal & private. Only wish I had the option of opening all the tabs like on my Macbook Pro. It would then be easier to just open all my tabs that got closed. Maybe in a future update for iPadOS?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Hi it has been awhile since I have followed macforums but I just read about your problem with tabs disappearing and I can say that that has happened to a few times until I figured out what was happening.
I noticed that this would happen when I used the slide-over or used split mode (or whatever you call them).
I then pressed the home button twice and noticed that I would have 2 Safaris open. I just checked which one had all my tabs and just closed the other. Since then I feel safe when I think I have lost all my tabs.
I too, as someone mentioned above, use Normal & Private for different tabs/stuff.
Another thing I started saving my Tabs, both normal & private. Only wish I had the option of opening all the tabs like on my Macbook Pro. It would then be easier to just open all my tabs that got closed. Maybe in a future update for iPadOS?
yes, that is when I have often seen this creep up, but I ultimately with double home click only see the two windows and no tabs in either.

Gergoviki

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
With the Safari icon in the dock, have you tried holding until the menu appears and select Show All Windows?
You have just saved me!!!! I had about 50 tabs open, when i accidentally opened and closed a split-screen whilst I was using the Facebook app, then went back to safari to see all my tabs disappeared, nothing in the recently closed tabs.
but indeed, if you press and hold the safari icon, it can show you the currently open windows (never knew you could open multiple windows ha) and on the right upper side it said ‘reopen closed window’ and a little plus sign for opening a brand new one.
Thank you so much!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
UGh, I CANNOT believe that we are still here, at 13.5.x, that with either an inadvertent swipe or an “open window in new window” or a “merge windows” with a new tab Or window opening, one can lose ALL their open tabs seemingly FOREVER. That is just not right and if apple wants to make IOS the new Mac OS, this has to be resolved.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
Do you guys not realize that open tabs are not all stored in RAM at once right? They only get stored in RAM when you're actively using/switching between several tabs. After that the URL just gets stored in storage.

But that tabs clearing issue does sound obnoxious as hell—I haven't had that but I've had a separate issue of tabs showing the wrong previews for the title.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Do you guys not realize that open tabs are not all stored in RAM at once right? They only get stored in RAM when you're actively using/switching between several tabs. After that the URL just gets stored in storage.

But that tabs clearing issue does sound obnoxious as hell—I haven't had that but I've had a separate issue of tabs showing the wrong previews for the title.
I think I know they are not all RAM hogs, but I really don’t like when 150 just disappear and cannot be recovered at all.. not just the page, but the URL at all. that just chaps my butt

CarolR??

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
My tabs on iPad have been mystifying me by disappearing as well, but this morning I found that just touching the top of the screen where they should be made them reappear!

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
While I can not understand the need for ever having 450 tabs open, I wonder if you always need them why not create a bookmark for them in an organized fashion. It’d be fast finding them that way then searching through 450 open tabs anyway.

Sock2ii

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
With the Safari icon in the dock, have you tried holding until the menu appears and select Show All Windows?
I just tried this and it didn’t work. Apparently I had three other windows with nothing on them open as well, but my main window is of course completely gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.