Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
For awhile now (before and after various point upgrades) I've been seeing something that is a little odd. When I save items to my desktop, I end up getting multiple "copies" of them. Except they aren't really copies, but just duplicate icons. If I throw one of them away, they both go.

Here is an example:

Picture%201.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't happen to all files all the time (and never to hard drives or CDs). What's even stranger is that occasionally, if I'm saving a file to the desktop, or modifying an existing desktop file, the icons multiply even more:

Picture%202.jpg

I've tried most things (repairing permissions, rebuilding user account, etc.) with no luck. I'm assuming I might need to do a fresh install or something.

Anyone else get this?

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Weird problem. I know that sometimes when I close the lid on my pBook and then open it, my hard drive icon will move. I always put it in the upper right hand corner, but sometimes it will just move down 2 inches, none of the other icons move.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Bear said:
Go into Terminal
do: rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store
Relaunch the finder.
Thanks for the suggestion, but no go. Ah, well. I may just reinstall over the weekend.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
emw said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but no go. Ah, well. I may just reinstall over the weekend.
Actually before you do that, try applying the 10.3.7 Combo update (the one that goes from any version of 10.3.x to 10.3.7) - this can help some oddball situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.