Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I just noticed that there is a hidden .Trash folder at the root level of my hard drive which contains a few files from 2014. Why does this folder exist and how did the files get there?

I understand that the normal .Trash folder is in the user's home directory.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I just noticed that there is a hidden .Trash folder at the root level of my hard drive which contains a few files from 2014. Why does this folder exist and how did the files get there?

I understand that the normal .Trash folder is in the user's home directory.
Well, if the files aren't deleted by a user, but the root login, it'd make sense. Or if it's on an external drive.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Your point about root login makes sense, although it is still a mystery to me how/why this happened exactly. The files are not random or cryptic system files by the way, but files related to a video project I worked on in 2014.

I don't understand how they could be related to an external drive though. If they were, wouldn't they be on that external drive?

Anyway, I think I am just going to delete them manually, since they take up a few hundred MBs. I was just curious as to how this situation came to be.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Your point about root login makes sense, although it is still a mystery to me how/why this happened exactly. The files are not random or cryptic system files by the way, but files related to a video project I worked on in 2014.

I don't understand how they could be related to an external drive though. If they were, wouldn't they be on that external drive?

Anyway, I think I am just going to delete them manually, since they take up a few hundred MBs. I was just curious as to how this situation came to be.
I suppose if you deleted them from within some program not belonging to you, I.e. A child of Launchd which would be root, that could be why.

The external drive bit was only relevant if the .Trash was on an external disk and not your internal system disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.