Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've always noticed this, but never cared to ask. Now curiousity has gotten the better of me.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have late 2013 rMBP 2.6/8/256

And iPhone 8 256 AT&T

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Because DACs and AMPs do make all the difference in the world.

The DAC + AMP inside every iPhone and Mac is different.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Because DACs and AMPs do make all the difference in the world.

The DAC + AMP inside every iPhone and Mac is different.

Sorry for my French, but what in the butter beans is a DAC and AMPs?

The only amps I know is the energy drink and then the thing that powers sub woofers in your ride lol

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry for my French, but what in the butter beans is a DAC and AMPs?

The only amps I know is the energy drink and then the thing that powers sub woofers in your ride lol
The thing that powers your subs is an amp, and devices with headphone jacks (like iPhones) also have amps, albeit much smaller/weaker ones. A DAC is a digital to analog converter - it changes the digital signal (your music is stored digitally) to an analog signal that the driver in your headphones can convert to vibrations/movement/music. This is a grossly simplified explanation, but yeah. So as I understand it, Apple moved the DAC and amp to the lightning adapter headphone plug, whereas prior to the 7/7 Plus those components were built into the phone. Devices like your MacBook have more internal space and therefore more room to accommodate larger and better DACs and amps, although you're going to get even better sound if you run a digital out (optical out, for example) to an external, dedicated DAC+amp combo or standalone units.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The DACs (Digital-Analog Converter) converts the digital data into analog output voltages that go to your headphones.

Some iPhones and iPods over the years have had much better DACs than others, which results in a noticeably better or worse audio quality.

Since MacBook Pros are often use to make videos and music, I suspect a little more effort has been made to make their DACs better. Plus they should have more space and battery power to do so.

You can buy external DACs and even some with tube amplifiers for your headphones.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
If you’re using the included 3.5mm to lightning, it’s trash— literally one of (if not the) worst rated product in the Apple store.

Can’t find the link/post, but someone mentioned that buying any other adapter on a Amazon was a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.