Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I have two iPhone 11 Pros, one purchased from T-Mobile (unlocked) and the other from AT&T (unlocked). Neither of the phones currently have a SIM inside of them. The T-Mobile one does this weird thing with the data bands: i.imgur.com/r67MszO.mp4

I know it's searching for a signal but it's a bit annoying as this is not happening on my AT&T one. They both have the same software version.

Does anyone know how I can make this stop, besides putting a SIM inside?

Reactions: Ram65

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
With the countless bugs that iOS 15 still has, I’d say that one’s priority to get fixed is way near the bottom.
I agree it’s annoying though.
I agree but I just don't understand why one 11 Pro does it and the other does not, especially since they're on the same iOS version. Weird.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guessing carrier settings. And part of the carrier settings have references to vendor specific localization bundles (eg. text strings for whatever a vendor wants to call their LTE network vs the other guy). For example, here is the reference to the English bundle for ATT in their carrier settings: Payload/ATT_US.bundle/English.lproj.

Would not doubt that some UI tweaks in there in addition to the usual things like allowing/disallowing turning off certain bands, allowing wifi calling, etc. In this case, T-Mobile wants to be fancy vs "Searching..." string.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Guessing carrier settings. And part of the carrier settings have references to vendor specific localization bundles (eg. text strings for whatever a vendor wants to call their LTE network vs the other guy). For example, here is the reference to the English bundle for ATT in their carrier settings: Payload/ATT_US.bundle/English.lproj.

Would not doubt that some UI tweaks in there in addition to the usual things like allowing/disallowing turning off certain bands, allowing wifi calling, etc. In this case, T-Mobile wants to be fancy vs "Searching..." string.
Both the phones are unlocked and no SIM in either phone. Perhaps I need to reboot the phones?

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I have two iPhone 11 Pros, one purchased from T-Mobile (unlocked) and the other from AT&T (unlocked). Neither of the phones currently have a SIM inside of them. The T-Mobile one does this weird thing with the data bands: i.imgur.com/r67MszO.mp4

I know it's searching for a signal but it's a bit annoying as this is not happening on my AT&T one. They both have the same software version.

It’s the crappy intel Modems in them 11pros causing signal issues

Reactions: Mity

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Both the phones are unlocked and no SIM in either phone. Perhaps I need to reboot the phones?
The Apple unlocked won’t have a carrier specific settings. The T-Mobile unlocked will have T-Mobile carrier settings.

Rider3

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011

Turn "Airplane Mode On" on both phones since you don't have a sim card in either.

Reactions: Reggaenald and Mity

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Turn "Airplane Mode On" on both phones since you don't have a sim card in either.
This did end up working :) However, I can't use Bluetooth now so that's kind of an issue. I guess I'll just have to wait for a fix.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Make sure you turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on with Airplane Mode on. It will work.
This actually worked! I mean, it's still buggy though. I wanted to see if it would work again so I turned off Airplane Mode and the bands did not move. Then, I turned off WiFi and Bluetooth and the bands began moving again. It's like the order of the buttons pressed matters. Weird bug.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I agree but I just don't understand why one 11 Pro does it and the other does not, especially since they're on the same iOS version. Weird.
No no, that’s a feature.
Individualised Bugs.
At least it always seems this way with 1-in-100 bug reports.
I suggest either to reinstall iOS and recovering a backup; put in a SIM, wait some time and take it out; wait for an update to fix this which may never come.
iOS is a worse mess with all these 1/100 experiences than ever before IMO. Stuff like this is very normal now.

Reactions: Mity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.