Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Some people also never use Face ID, or use it so little that they don't care whether the parts are authentic.

Example: I never use Face ID. I either lock with password, or don't lock at all (when developing). Face ID has always been a nuisance, and I couldn't care less whether or not the part was authentic.
There are NO 3rd party parts available for FaceID! Only Apple or an AASP can repair or replace FaceID hardware... This fact has been posted in this thread several times.

Reactions: Fred Zed

maxolson

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
Why do people buy used or refurbished iPhones since the FaceID parts may be aftermarket or third party and not have the original and genuine FaceID parts? Wouldn’t that be unsafe and cause injury to your eyes and skin? How are the people all over the world that use refurbished or used iPhones not blind since if the FaceID parts are aftermarket, it could damage their eyes, especially if they use the device unknowingly day to day and didn’t know the FaceID parts were not the original and genuine ones?
Best troll of the day... Blind someone with the dot projector!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Cost? Just a crazy guess... Several people I know only buy used. Some people judge them based on that. *shrug* YDY...

I bought a used Moto Razr to fill in until I could get a new phone in my ridiculous cell phone plan decades ago. :rolleyes: Back when they actually penalized you for wanting to a new phone. o_O

Reactions: arkitect

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
Why do people buy used or refurbished iPhones since the FaceID parts may be aftermarket or third party and not have the original and genuine FaceID parts? Wouldn’t that be unsafe and cause injury to your eyes and skin? How are the people all over the world that use refurbished or used iPhones not blind since if the FaceID parts are aftermarket, it could damage their eyes, especially if they use the device unknowingly day to day and didn’t know the FaceID parts were not the original and genuine ones?
Many many blind iPhones users in my town! What's even worse is they are walking the streets shooting their cheap lasers at random people because they want them to suffer too. It's a nightmare and the mainstream media is quiet.

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

So you're saying Apple Certified Refurbished iPhones may have aftermarket or third party FaceID parts?

Do you hear yourself? This thread doesn't make any sense

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
So you're saying Apple Certified Refurbished iPhones may have aftermarket or third party FaceID parts?

Do you hear yourself? This thread doesn't make any sense

While this thread may not make sense, Apple isn't the only company that sells "refurbished" iPhones. The OP (whose account has since been suspended for some reason) did not specify "Apple Certified Refurbished", just "refurbished" which doesn't necessarily mean/include Apple.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
While this thread may not make sense, Apple isn't the only company that sells "refurbished" iPhones. The OP (whose account has since been suspended for some reason) did not specify "Apple Certified Refurbished", just "refurbished" which doesn't necessarily mean/include Apple.

Good point. And who knows who Apple uses for their refurbishment. Years ago, we had a run of Dell replacement (refurb) systems that came in DOA. Some replacements of the replacements came in DOA. THere was a rather big lawsuit over it I believe. We just kept returning their broken 'refurbed' junk, and getting different broken refurbed junk. Eventually, all were working. Good times...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Good point. And who knows who Apple uses for their refurbishment.
huh? Regardless who Apple uses, they give the same warranty and option for AppleCare on their refurbished models as their new models. So if a consumer gets a DOA unit, it’s under warranty.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
huh? Regardless who Apple uses, they give the same warranty and option for AppleCare on their refurbished models as their new models. So if a consumer gets a DOA unit, it’s under warranty.

Sure, but I had 'Craftsman' socket sets, lifetime warranty. Most people said that 'you needed it if you bought their sets.

I also had an iMac, refurb, that went totally mental. I mean it was unusable. Sure it had a warranty, and I bought AppleCare, but it was The Time. I had to diagnose the issue, I had to call Apple, I had to truck it to the local store TWICE, and finally it went completely sideways and mental while it was there. I *did* get a new iMac as a replacement, but the time I spent away from my business and the projects I was working on wasn't compensated for. I asked if it was related to the original purchaser and their reason for returning it? Apple changes the serial number so tracking it's original issues seems impossible. *shrug*

But the other refurbs I've bought have been solid.

Fruit Stand

Suspended
Apr 25, 2016
YYZ
Sure, but I had 'Craftsman' socket sets, lifetime warranty. Most people said that 'you needed it if you bought their sets.

I also had an iMac, refurb, that went totally mental. I mean it was unusable. Sure it had a warranty, and I bought AppleCare, but it was The Time. I had to diagnose the issue, I had to call Apple, I had to truck it to the local store TWICE, and finally it went completely sideways and mental while it was there. I *did* get a new iMac as a replacement, but the time I spent away from my business and the projects I was working on wasn't compensated for. I asked if it was related to the original purchaser and their reason for returning it? Apple changes the serial number so tracking it's original issues seems impossible. *shrug*

But the other refurbs I've bought have been solid.

As someone who worked at the retail level and dealt with service and warranties often, I can assure you that none of the parts that had any issues from the previous ownership or the iMac itself would have made it in the refurbished unit you ended up with.

For the most part, Apple rarely reuses actual parts and rather reuses the materials and things like chipsets and memory modules on new boards as opposed to reusing entire boards and PCBs internally.

All other consumables like batteries, external components touched by the user are replaced with brand new parts as well.

It sounds like you just had a bad unit or one that was involved an existing quality program/recall with known issues.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Maybe he is poor

Maybe he is smart.

And read the fine print of some vendors. Dell and HP said that not all parts in their computers are necessarily 'factory new', which was an interesting thing to find buried there. Maybe they changed it since, but it would explain a lot I think. *shrug*

Reduce, reuse, recycle. News article just this morning: A 'trash pile' the size of 11 football fields caught fire in India recently, and it's sickening everyone around it, the fumes are so toxic. I used to drive by three 'dumps' (solid waste disposal sites) that have nearly tripled in size in the 15 years or so.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Good point. And who knows who Apple uses for their refurbishment. Years ago, we had a run of Dell replacement (refurb) systems that came in DOA. Some replacements of the replacements came in DOA. THere was a rather big lawsuit over it I believe. We just kept returning their broken 'refurbed' junk, and getting different broken refurbed junk. Eventually, all were working. Good times...

Apple's certified refurbished iPhones are about as close to new as you can get with a new battery, new outer shell, genuine Apple replacement parts (as needed), same-as-new 1 year warranty, etc. Of course, both new devices and used or refurbished devices can be "lemons" including those from Apple.

cash20

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
Because the Apple phone is also very good to use for a long time, this is much better than the Android phone

Reactions: Haamur

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
I just bought my second XS 256gb space gray. Condition is perfect, seriously no even small tiny scratches or dents. 100% battery since I replaced it today at local OEM service point. Now I have 2 excellent condition XS's lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ZircoBen

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
I just bought my second XS 256gb space gray. Condition is perfect, seriously no even small tiny scratches and dents. 100% battery since I replaced it today at local OEM service point. Now I have 2 excellent condition XS's lol
Great choice, I downgraded from 14 pro to an XS (temporarily) and boy I love this old dog! I will buy your other XS if you want to sell it :p. I was just comparing the new 12/13/14 pros to the XS and just how terrible the new ones in terms of weight and form factor. And its not like there has been leaps and bounds of improvement in terms of software either.

Last edited:

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
Great choice, I downgraded from 14 pro to an XS (temporarily) and boy I love this old dog! I will buy your other XS if you want to sell it :p. I was just comparing the new 12/13/14 pros to the XS and just how terrible the new ones in terms of weight and form factor. And its not like there has been leaps and bounds of improvement in terms of software either.
I have had 13 mini, 13 pro, 11 pro and 14 but XS is still my all time favorite. Weight, size and quality are right on spot and curve design makes it so comfortable to use. Stainless steel and glossy glass are the best combination of materials.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
With all the stories of people having vision problems with the new screens, and my ambivalence about the actual coverage quality of 5G in my area, a refurbished older iPhone is an obvious "first to shop for" item for me.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
What a shock! This guy got suspended!

• Haha
Reactions: ZircoBen

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
I have had 13 mini, 13 pro, 11 pro and 14 but XS is still my all time favorite. Weight, size and quality are right on spot and curve design makes it so comfortable to use. Stainless steel and glossy glass are the best combination of materials.
Love to hear the XS love. I just got rid of mine a few months ago and got the 11 Pro; but a piece of me still misses that Gold color and especially 3D Touch.

XS is easily my favorite iPhone I've ever owned.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Like everyone else said people pick up used iPhones due to costs and budgets. I am an Apple fan but I honestly don't know anyone that upgrades iphones, Apple watches, MacBooks yearly in my social circle outside these forums. I don't even upgrade yearly lol. I currently have an iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple Watch Ultra, gen 2 Airpods, and MacBook Pro 13 Inch ( M1 Chip model). I am very happy with what I have and have no plans to upgrade any of them this year.

So for those who don't have to have the latest and greatest each year, buying the previous year's model at a discount is the way to go.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.