Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Microsoft will have much better success when phones are capable of running Windows x64 for access to desktop level software. Much like how Surface RT tablet didn't take off but Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 have. I'll be one of the adopters when that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I dont dislike Windows phones and in fact is one i will certainly get at some point and would of already if they didnt give an exclusive to Verizon and the other models had come to the USA and more specifically, T-Mobile , like the 830. Their distribution holds me back more than the product.

My Wife had an older Windows 7 phone. It ran well but they are slow to get their apps working good. The gmail app still sucks as does ebay. At the least the ones im using do.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
It's as locked down as iOS but without the vast app catalog to make up for the shortcoming.

In its current form, the notification shade is unfinished, the UI isn't very intuitive. WP10 makes up for a lot of this but I still wouldn't be happy using WP, it doesn't let me do lots of stuff I regularly do on Android.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
It's as locked down as iOS but without the vast app catalog to make up for the shortcoming.

In its current form, the notification shade is unfinished, the UI isn't very intuitive. WP10 makes up for a lot of this but I still wouldn't be happy using WP, it doesn't let me do lots of stuff I regularly do on Android.

I disagree about it being locked down the same level as iOS. In terms of app installation source, - maybe.
But I got internal file manager right on the phone, no iTunes obligation and when I connect it to my computer, phone is recognised with all of its folder structure, providing access to all documents, pictures, music and everything else freely, right from the explorer on any computer.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I disagree about it being locked down the same level as iOS. In terms of app installation source, - maybe.
But I got internal file manager right on the phone, no iTunes obligation and when I connect it to my computer, phone is recognised with all of its folder structure, providing access to all documents, pictures, music and everything else freely, right from the explorer on any computer.

Not to mention the homescreen is not just an app drawer. When iOS has REAL homescreens, then I'll give the iPhone another shot as my main device.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I love my 930, awesome camera, and the battery life was so so, only reason I stopped using it, was due to the awesome battery life of the iPhone 6plus.

I'm not a big app user , though for many this will be an issue.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
I love my 930, awesome camera, and the battery life was so so, only reason I stopped using it, was due to the awesome battery life of the iPhone 6plus.

I'm not a big app user , though for many this will be an issue.

I tend to love it more and more. The lack of apps does not seem to be a huge problem anymore, at least for me. But the rest of the phone including its unobtrusive design are top notch, not to mention the camera and price...

I kind of agree with this review about battery life (and by the way, 930 got another update today):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nokia-Lumia-930-Smartphone-Review.121877.0.html

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I loaded the latest windows 10 build on my Lumia and it looks really nice. I've not put it through its paces yet but visually the UI is much more consistent.

I like what the windows phone has to offer, but for some reason I always gravitate back to my iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I loaded the latest windows 10 build on my Lumia and it looks really nice. I've not put it through its paces yet but visually the UI is much more consistent.

I like what the windows phone has to offer, but for some reason I always gravitate back to my iPhone.

What phone are you using with it Maflynn ? I was tempted to try again on the 930 but not sure if there is a new build. Previous one was awful on it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What phone are you using with it Maflynn ? I was tempted to try again on the 930 but not sure if there is a new build. Previous one was awful on it.
I have a Lumia 830. Performance wise its pretty good, though not stellar, nice screen and nice size. The latest build is seemingly a lot more stable, though I'd not say its ready for prime time, there's still a lot of rough spots in the form and function.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Sounds like you need to get the kids another phone
I have a Lumia 830. Performance wise its pretty good, though not stellar, nice screen and nice size. The latest build is seemingly a lot more stable, though I'd not say its ready for prime time, there's still a lot of rough spots in the form and function.
I thought that was the kids phone? :p
Time to get them another one lol

Reactions: MRU

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought that was the kids phone? :p
Time to get them another one lol
It was, but to be honest they didn't like using it, and it was left unused for extended periods. Enough for me to cancel the line. Why spend $$ on a line that will largely be unused. I swap my sim in and out of it now :D

Reactions: MRU and Vegastouch

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015

You think? It's a mess. On my Lumia 640 XL it lasted all of 15 mins... then back to 8.1 GDR 2 :D

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I recently switched carriers and immediately popped the new SIM card into my 1520 and have been using it for a few days. I'm in love. As I've been using it, I've been trying to find applications and / replacements for certain services. I'd say the biggest draw (about Windows Phone) for consumers and people in general is the lack of first party application. I'd think another draw for them is how it's significantly different from iOS and Android.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You think? It's a mess. On my Lumia 640 XL it lasted all of 15 mins... then back to 8.1 GDR 2 :D

Yeah lasted about same on my 930 when I realised it was broken with major font and gui scaling issues and broken apps. Was hoping newer version might have fixed issues like this - after all we can't be that far from release if they push it out end of next month.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I could get by if it had YouTube, but it doesn't, so I can't.

I also dislike Microsoft as they basically destroyed Nokia.

You should be hating on Nokia. Because they were basically idiots who got played easily.

And Nokia was done anyway. They could not innovate. Have you used a Symbian phone? Their Meego, while having good concepts was unfinished.

If they had gone with Android (which had much more common with Symbian than Windows Phone) they might've survived. But as I mentioned, Nokia was full of weak idiots.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I truly applaud Microsoft for Windows Phone. Its fresh and its a different take on a mobile operating system. Android attempts to copy iOS, but Windows phone doesn't. I would use it, if you could have iMessage, Text and phone call forwarding, iCloud, find my friends, all the apps I need and iPhone (4 inch) hardware.

Surface3User

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
I really enjoy Windows Phone quite a bit and honestly for the price the battery life is incredible on these suckers. My Lumia 635 outlasts my iPhone 5c and Samsung Galaxy S5 by a long shot. It's not even close. And what is sad is that my Android has to use a Mophie battery case to get through a day whereas my Lumia 635 outlasts anything in history.

Seriously, where's the love for Windows Phone?

I really enjoy using Windows Phone though I am using an iPhone at the moment. It's not that most people (who not are tech geeks like us) hate Windows Phone. It's that they don't really care and will use the predominant platforms for convenience and app selection.

For myself, I will probably go back to Windows Phone. I don't really need or use many apps, but I can see people who are heavy users of certain apps needing to stay with iPhone/Android.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I have just sold my Lumia 640. Don't get me wrong battery life is excellent, I get home at the end of the day with 70% battery left.

This issue for me was not really apps, all the major apps are there now, its quality of said apps, they are really poor compared to iOS, and a lot of webwraps, my banking app for instance on iOS I can pay bills, transfer money etc, on Windows phone I can only view my balance. They do not have the same functionality, I've found that with a lot of apps for Windows phone, they feel like the first apps that came out on the old iPhone 2G

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well its true. The essential idea of Android is the same as iOS, as it has always been. Windows phone has always been different to both.

Yap, the essential idea is a mobile OS with a grid of icons and nobody thought of it before iPhone /s

And exactly what is the novel idea of Windows Phone apart of the live tiles? The three of them are app based and the only difference is the home page that is different in the three systems

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yap, the essential idea is a mobile OS with a grid of icons and nobody thought of it before iPhone /s

And exactly what is the novel idea of Windows Phone apart of the live tiles? The three of them are app based and the only difference is the home page that is different in the three systems

The entire system is built around live tiles, that is unique. It is a different take on the mobile OS then what Apple implemented and Android followed with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.