Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
When i look at mac pictures, half the time I see that MacBook/MacBook pro in front of them, then they got a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard. What's wrong with the mouse and keyboard on the notebook?

Anybody got some good reasons why people do this, because I'm really curious

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
yeah i can understand that too bout the keyboard, because I've used the apple wireless keyboard and i would prefer using that much more than the apple keyboard

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
If you spend a lot of time doing graphic type work or use you notebook as a desktop replacement then a mouse is normally better than a trackpad.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
If you spend a lot of time doing graphic type work or use you notebook as a desktop replacement then a mouse is normally better than a trackpad.

Yeah, that's a lot of what I've heard from friends who do design work and things...it's more accurate and you have more control.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I use a MX Revolution mouse and don't use a keyboard but I'm sure wishing I had. Not using the trackpad and laptop keyboard really reduces wear and tear on the actual machine and makes for less oily keys. I only use mine when I'm not home.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
When i look at mac pictures, half the time I see that MacBook/MacBook pro in front of them, then they got a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard. What's wrong with the mouse and keyboard on the notebook?

I use the wired keyboard with my MBPro because it has the number key section. If I have the room I prefer a keyboard and mouse else I use what the laptop came with.:eek:

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
because a mouse is about 100x easier and more comfortable to use than a trackpad...not sure on the keyboard...maybe to reduce wear on the actual laptop, keep the palmrests clean, or avoid those sharp edges on your palm/wrist

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
i use a wireless mighty mouse, but i still use the MB keyboard cause i find it and easy keyboard to type on

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
i use a wireless mighty mouse, but i still use the MB keyboard cause i find it and easy keyboard to type on

Yeah, I do the same thing when I'm actually using the MBP at my desk. I've been thinking about the keyboard too, though it seems unnecessary because it would be the same was using the MBP keyboard. Using a mouse is a whole different ballgame, though, so it makes more sense.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
When I'm sitting at my desk with my MBP, it hurts my back to be hunched over to look at the screen. Solution: Buy a Griffin Laptop Elevator to raise the screen to a "normal" height, i.e. the height of an external display.

This creates a new problem, however. I don't really want to sit with my arms stretched straight out to use the keyboard. Solution: Buy an external keyboard and mouse. I just got the wireless ones because I didn't want any unnecessary clutter on my desk.

faber2001

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
i use both the wireless mouse and keyboard because i don't want

my white macbook get dirty. the black macbook gets too shiny.

i would have bought a macbook pro, but for what i do, it's too much money.

i would really like to see is an ALUMINIUM BLACK MACBOOK !!!

will this day ever come ?

with the arrival of the macbook air, the chance is pretty slim.

i can't see any good in thin new machine.

for the same money, you get the high-end macbook or the low-end

macbook pro, and now, after the latest update, these two models are

so powerful relative to macbook air.

considering that the only thing you can run on macbook air is office,

it would have been be better to put office into iphone and instead

to use the R&D money

of the macbook air in making lighter macbooks and macbook pros.

but remember what the architect said to neo: HOPE !!! let's hope

for aluminium macbooks !!!!!!

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Since the new Apple Wireless Keyboard is so small, I decided to get one to use with my new black MacBook. I also got keyboard skins from zCover for them - sweet!

I prefer using a mouse instead of a trackpad - that's just me. Logitech makes the VX Nano mouse with ultra mini USB receiver - a beautiful mouse IMO.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA

Many of the above posters listed very good reasons. You probably don't own a laptop yourself, because if you did you would immediately understand how much more functional a mouse is than a trackpad (even the MBA's). As was previously said, this is particularly important in graphics work where a trackpad is virtually useless, but it can even simplify internet browsing. As for the keyboard, most times it is because it is more comfortable and efficient to have a full, desktop keyboard which most people type quicker on. It is also more ergonomic to put a laptop on a stand and use a wireless keyboard so that you keep your back straighter and not be hunched over at the screen. Keyboards are also useful when using an external monitor. One thing that I do notice, however, is a lot of people use the new Apple keyboard with their macbooks, without the macbook even being on a stand. To be honest, that is the one situation I don't get as the desktop keyboard is the same, and the ergonomics are just as bad. The only thing I can think of in those situations is that people love Apple products, people love accessories, and they must just think it looks better. 9 times out of 10, however, the external keyboard and mouse are more functional and useful when using a laptop in a home setup.

View attachment mstand ergo.bmp

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't own a mac (never have unfortunately :( ) but on my windows laptop I use an external mouse and keyboard because I have on my desk a 22 inch monitor, with my laptop beside it in extended desktop mode. and then I have my mouse and my keyboard. Its a very nice way to have both a desktop and a laptop in one.

dtklamf

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
i use a $5 usb optical mini mouse that glows a million different colours ll the time.
hate it
why dont i buy a mighty mouse?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I can't hover over a laptop all day. And typing on the laptop keyboard makes me feel like I'm reaching over the laptop. It's annoying. On the go, or on the couch it's fine because it;s not used for hours at a clip. But when sitting at a desk, it is very annoying to type on a laptop. And the trackpad is soooo annoying. My wife refuses to use it. So when the laptop is desk-bound, an attached keyboard and mouse are used. Besides, when my wire uses it for work she prefers an extended keyboard for number entry.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I don't own a mac (never have unfortunately :( ) but on my windows laptop I use an external mouse and keyboard because I have on my desk a 22 inch monitor, with my laptop beside it in extended desktop mode. and then I have my mouse and my keyboard. Its a very nice way to have both a desktop and a laptop in one.

Why are you here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.