Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Kind of a rant, but also genuinely curious why this is so common on these cases.

These cases tend to be more expensive yet don't offer protection in one of the most important places. I could imagine someone pulling my their phone out of their pocket and somehow it falls with the top of the phone hitting the ground first. Good thing you bought a case, right? Oh wait, it doesn't cover that particular area!

Pitaka $70
1697021682536.png

Mous $60
1697021706711.png

Latercase $50
1697022047952.png

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
It wraps around slightly. If the ground it flat it would help.

But these cases are not meant as heavy drop protection cases. Take Pitaka. They also have a heavier duty variant if it’s not your thing.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Not sure about Latercase, but Mous, Pitaka, Benks, Spigen, etc all offer full protection options with carbon fiber.

Reactions: thenahon

thenahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Not sure about Latercase, but Mous, Pitaka, Benks, Spigen, etc all offer full protection options with carbon fiber.
I’ve looked at their cases and they are mostly a sheet of carbon fiber bonded on some kind of plastic/silicone shell. So they really aren’t full carbon fiber. At that point, what’s the use in paying for the touch of carbon fiber? Seems mostly aesthetic.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I’ve looked at their cases and they are mostly a sheet of carbon fiber bonded on some kind of plastic/silicone shell. So they really aren’t full carbon fiber. At that point, what’s the use in paying for the touch of carbon fiber? Seems mostly aesthetic.
99.9% of phone cases are a thin sheet of material bonded on some kind of plastic/silocone shell. Pitaka has the Pro line which offers full bottom and side coverage with hit absorbing material inside. There are many videos of people throwing them off buildings or ladders and the phone surviving if that's what you're looking for. A "full" aramid case (such as the photos you posted) will offer little protection at all. There's nothing to absorb the blow during a fall. That's why Pitaka and others made Pro style cases. Which will survive falls and drops.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
These cases are great as thin, lightweight protection against dings and scratches that wouldn't be covered by AppleCare.

The pricing is absurd though.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Benks makes a magclap armorair case that wraps around the top and bottom of the case that’s just full aramid fiber.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
these are not as bad as they might seem

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Kind of a rant, but also genuinely curious why this is so common on these cases.

These cases tend to be more expensive yet don't offer protection in one of the most important places. I could imagine someone pulling my their phone out of their pocket and somehow it falls with the top of the phone hitting the ground first. Good thing you bought a case, right? Oh wait, it doesn't cover that particular area!

Pitaka $70
View attachment 2293034

Mous $60
View attachment 2293035

Latercase $50
View attachment 2293042

total wrap around phone cases can be a hinderance to functional phone swipe gestures from the bottom and side edges

they can also make a phone not sit flash on an upright desk charger / dock station

or make charging cables difficult to insert completely on the phone port

i actually prefer these open cases as i am also able to showcase the colour of my phone through the exposed edges

Last edited:
Reactions: walds11

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023

tkaylol

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
I've had carbonthat for 12P and 13P because it covers the sides other than the button cut outs. Looks like they're changed the design for the button areas for the 15s...

Reactions: Surfsalot

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
In my opinion it’s all aesthetics. If you like that look, then aramid fiber is your thing. If you don’t, it offers really little value for drop protection or really anything else you might need in a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.