Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is what I've been saying about Mac people (specifically this forum). Years ago the console of choice here was the PS2, now it's the Wii. Mac users just buy what's best (for them). We know what we want!

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
I'm a self-admitting Sony fanboy here (I have a thing for underdogs, and through their own witlessness, they've managed to make themselves the underdogs in these next gen wars), but I do have issue with two things with the Xbox/Xbox 360. Great platforms, but two things REALLY irk me. Like, beyond words.

(1) Xbox Live fee--Playing games online, in my opinion, is not something we should have to pay for. Access to advanced functionality, etc., I can see that argument. But fees for playing multiplayer? I come from a computer background, so the idea of a fee is utterly ridiculous to me.

(2) Microsoft Points--Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that 800 Microsoft Points is equal to $10, which to me is deception at it's worst. When I see 800 points (like on my Wii, for example), I think $8. In the case of the Wii, it is in fact $8. Tricking consumers into thinking things are cheaper than they are (can't you imagine Wal-Mart forcing you to buy "Wal-bucks" that work in a similar way, to prod you towards buying things out of your budget) to me is corporate evil at its worst.

No offense to Microsoft gaming, as they've managed to pull off quite a coup, but those two peeves really get my goose. Just my two cents.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
For every flaw OS X has, Windows has about 12 others. Or more.

But I built a solid machine and it's running Windows well. Of course, you have to avoid the legions of crapware out there. I use Windows all the time at work. Linux too.

For me it's a "anti-establishment" and company attitude problem. The blatant copying of Vista from OS X pissed me off to no end. Subtle copying is ok, but still.

I work with supporting Windows all the time. And I just looooove having to do complete system reinstall because Windows refuses to do something like display the desktop properly. Virus. We have anti-virus campus wide but it doesn't prevent everything.

An experience and/or power user can use Windows. With a fair amount of effort it CAN work well. But an OS should take no effort to use or maintain. None.

Microsoft has many times the revenue of Apple. Logic says their products should be that many times higher quality. Its' not. Of course this doesn't always happen in the real world. I know that. But it could.

</rant>

:D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
(1) Xbox Live fee--Playing games online, in my opinion, is not something we should have to pay for. Access to advanced functionality, etc., I can see that argument. But fees for playing multiplayer? I come from a computer background, so the idea of a fee is utterly ridiculous to me.

_that_ together with the build problems and the high accesory prices are the only thing holding me off (with the release of bioshock and the oncoming games)
and before somebody somebody comes forward with "but you get free demos, trailers, achievments, XBLA, etc." yeah correct... but i get all that stuff with the free xbox silver as well
and for the "it's only 5 bucks a month": sure not really much but over 5 years that's 300 € ... or the price of a brand new console or more than 6 games (which makes the 360 essentially also a 599 console)

on build quality: it's rather dissapointing that the 360 actually is the worst coming from microsoft who ironically always stood for quality hardware (gamepads,joysticks, mice, keyboards etc.) compared to their software ( exception: office is still the best .. especially excel their developing software isn't bad either)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Anyone who blindly cuts off all products because of one is a moron. Fact. Just because I own a mac doesn't mean I've cut off all rational thought and blindly pledge allegiance to Jobs. My macs are decent machines...not great, but good for my graphic work. If I want a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo who the crap cares? I say you're missing out on some great gaming if you really believe that load...

Paul

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
(1) Xbox Live fee--Playing games online, in my opinion, is not something we should have to pay for.
(2) Microsoft Points--Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that 800 Microsoft Points is equal to $10,

I agree fullheartedly. I don't have a Gold account and I certainly won't be buying MS points, this irks me about the Wii too, sure it's an easier to understand system for you guys (in the UK 1000 points is £7) but I would just love to have an actually currency symbol and card transaction per game.

There are things I'd love to change for all systems. The 360 having the most, the PS3 having the most important. But what can you do :)

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
I'm a self-admitting Sony fanboy here (I have a thing for underdogs, and through their own witlessness, they've managed to make themselves the underdogs in these next gen wars), but I do have issue with two things with the Xbox/Xbox 360. Great platforms, but two things REALLY irk me. Like, beyond words.

(2) Microsoft Points--Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that 800 Microsoft Points is equal to $10, which to me is deception at it's worst. When I see 800 points (like on my Wii, for example), I think $8. In the case of the Wii, it is in fact $8. Tricking consumers into thinking things are cheaper than they are (can't you imagine Wal-Mart forcing you to buy "Wal-bucks" that work in a similar way, to prod you towards buying things out of your budget) to me is corporate evil at its worst.

No offense to Microsoft gaming, as they've managed to pull off quite a coup, but those two peeves really get my goose. Just my two cents.

I couldn't disagree more. Xbox live is way more advance then anything on PC. Xbox live has build as standard that forces all developer to follow. That means that EVERY single X360 game that support multiplayer has to have a preset of functionallity. That what makes Xbox live great. When you buy a game and it's support online multiplayer, you are certain that the same features will be implemented.

I kinda like the MS points. Its allow them to make smaller transaction without charging your credit card all the time. It also allow people without credit card to purchase the MS point at any electronic retail store.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
There are things I'd love to change for all systems. The 360 having the most, the PS3 having the most important.

@raggedjimmi, we may disagree at times, but this quote--this is genius. Save it forever. Put it in a text file and Mozy it so your ancestors can read it. No sarcasm. This is totally true.

Maybe throw in "the Wii having the weirdest" as well (friend codes just need to die).

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Playing games online, in my opinion, is not something we should have to pay for. Access to advanced functionality, etc., I can see that argument. But fees for playing multiplayer? I come from a computer background, so the idea of a fee is utterly ridiculous to me.

Millions of MMORPG gamers would disagree with you because they sure the hell pay for those now, don't they. ? :rolleyes:

If you want free gaming, go for it. Just don't expect much. Unmoderated servers, non-unified user names/friend lists...gets a little aggravating to go into a team deathmatch or deathmatch server in a PC FPS and realize I have to change my name from "zero2dash" (my moniker for at least 10 years now) to "zero2dash1" or something equally retarded because someone else decided to steal it.

There is 1 thing though I will say on behalf of Live Gold that pisses me off, and somewhat expand on your point #1.

I think if they're going to dump ads in to Live, then Live Gold members such as myself should have no ads because I've paid. IMO only Silver members should have ads.

Microsoft Points--Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that 800 Microsoft Points is equal to $10, which to me is deception at it's worst.

I agree to some extent with Microsoft points. Just let me spend $20 and have $20 to spend on games or other items, that's all. I do agree there. But it's really not that big of a deal because while you can look at it like "I'm being ripped off", the fact remains that in most cases, it works out fine. Live Arcade games (with the exception of a few overpriced lame ducks out there like the pool game and Lumines) are 400 ($5) or 800 ($10) a piece. No big deal. Even though numerically it doesn't make sense, it doesn't really bother me. But I do wish they'd drop it anyway and make it like the Playstation store...you want a game, it's this much USD$.

I agree on one of two. As for their coup, I wouldn't call it that. They've simply managed to do more right this time around, meanwhile Sony's managed to do more wrong. None of the three consoles is perfect. I do find the 360 damn near perfect, but that's my opinion. Aside from a few freezes leading to an eventual RoD on my system, my 360 experience has been a harmonious one for me.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I couldn't disagree more. Xbox live is way more advance then anything on PC. Xbox live has build as standard that forces all developer to follow. That means that EVERY single X360 game that support multiplayer has to have a preset of functionallity. That what makes Xbox live great. When you buy a game and it's support online multiplayer, you are certain that the same features will be implemented.

having programming/implementation guidelines or points needed for approval is hardly something extra ordinary

microsoft still charges money for something everybody else doesn't (microsoft isn't hosting actually any game servers ... it's p2p system where the servers simply do the handshaking ... before somebody now starts comparing it to mmporgs)
oh and what if a company doesn't want to use voice chat because they think it breaks the atmosphere of their game ? ...

edit: guess i was too slow ;)
that said it's a matter of philosophy... after all these years playing online (10 years actually) for no money i'm simply not willing to pay for something i have for free

if you could fill up your car for years for free and somebody comes along with a new gas station saying "you have to pay here for the gas but you get a small bag of broccoli with every purchase" i guess you would not really be convinced either unless you are a broccoli addict

(for me countless live features would be essentially worthless since i know exactly 0 persons with a xbox 360)

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
If you want free gaming, go for it. Just don't expect much. Unmoderated servers, non-unified user names/friend lists...gets a little aggravating to go into a team deathmatch or deathmatch server in a PC FPS and realize I have to change my name from "zero2dash" (my moniker for at least 10 years now) to "zero2dash1" or something equally retarded because someone else decided to steal it.

I agree that changing a nick can be annoying, and the lack of unification can be annoying as well, but I'd personally much rather go through Xfire or Steam and worry about those things rather than pay a monthly fee. I'm a big cheapo, but that's just where I'm coming from.

Again, I'm talking just about multiplayer gaming--if M$ wants to charge for other things (to some extent), I can see that argument. But let people play online. I mean, c'mon.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
having programming/implementation guidelines or points needed for approval is hardly something extra ordinary

microsoft still charges money for something everybody else doesn't (microsoft isn't hosting actually any game servers ... it's p2p system where the servers simply do the handshaking ... before somebody now starts comparing it to mmporgs)
oh and what if a company doesn't want to use voice chat because they think it breaks the atmosphere of their game ? ...

edit: guess i was too slow ;)
that said it's a matter of philosophy... after all these years playing online (10 years actually) for no money i'm simply not willing to pay for something i have for free

if you could fill up your car for years for free and somebody comes along with a new gas station saying "you have to pay here for the gas but you get a small bag of broccoli with every purchase" i guess you would not really be convinced either unless you are a broccoli addict

(for me countless live features would be essentially worthless since i know exactly 0 persons with a xbox 360)

I am sorry that you dont' have any friend......on X360 that is. We got lots of Xboxer at the office and we play R6 every night. I do not mind paying 5$ a month (0,16$ a day) to go a moderated, Unified service. Like I have mentioned previously online pc gaming is far from being the same experience that Xbox live offer. Of course I wouldn't mind getting it for free but for 0.16$ a day i can't complain.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I find it kinda funny that so many people have so much trouble with Windows and stability as well as viruses and such, when I dont have any of those problems. :confused:

Some people just need to use better, more stable and supported hardware with good drivers, and what where they click.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
There's a difference between hating crappy products which happen to be made by the same company (which is what I see from Mac users), and hating a product because it's made by a certain company (ie anti-Apple zealots).

Oh no - you can find examples of both people in both camps.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I find it kinda funny that so many people have so much trouble with Windows and stability as well as viruses and such, when I dont have any of those problems. :confused:

Absolutely.

(As I stated earlier) I spend the same amount of time maintaining OSX that I do Windows XP, and both have their quirks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Never used Steam I see? Before that (and games not on it) use their own online systems, which is good and bad depending on said game. But Steam centralises it all, friends list in all games (shift+tab), demos, trailers, buy games online (big and small). The new BETA community features put it way over and beyond what Live can do.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
Never used Steam I see? Before that (and games not on it) use their own online systems, which is good and bad depending on said game. But Steam centralises it all, friends list in all games (shift+tab), demos, trailers, buy games online (big and small). The new BETA community features put it way over and beyond what Live can do.

I like Steam but not all game on the PC space supports steam while all X360 multiplayer game support Live.

rs76

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Did Apple leave gaming or did the gaming industry leave Apple?

Chicken or Egg with getting the game industry back? They won't write games for Macs until Apple hardware is more dedicated to gaming. Apple won't commit to gaming hardware until there are more games.

I do think that Apple should create an Imac dedicated to gaming enthusiasts (i possible?). Is their decision not to for technical reasons or another stubborn decision from Jobs.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I am sorry that you dont' have any friend......on X360 that is.We got lots of Xboxer at the office and we play R6 every night. I do not mind paying 5$ a month (0,16$ a day) to go a moderated, Unified service. Like I have mentioned previously online pc gaming is far from being the same experience that Xbox live offer. Of course I wouldn't mind getting it for free but for 0.16$ a day i can't complain.

well i rather take 6 more games over a console life cycle over paying for online games

and and it's always nice how someone can break down the time frame to make something apear cheap
after all for 0,32 $ a day you could play on the ps3 (streched over 5 years)

and moderated service ? isn't xbox live the most well known online service for slurs and insults ? ;)

you can't complain and you can be happy with all you want but for me it's a dealbreaker since it essentially _doubles_ the cost of the console (700 euros for a console + 5 years of online is in no ways cheaper than the unholy grail of price ridiculousness, the ps3 ;))

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
and moderated service ? isn't xbox live the most well known online service for slurs and insults ? ;)

U actually have to report people which is as easy as highlighting the person and then clicking on it. This is where people slip up they actually don't report. Its not actively moderated as XBLGM's will take ocare of it when u pass the info up to them and they are pretty good about it. I know somebody who got his account suspended for 2 days and then was notified it would goto a full month if it happened again and then banned if it happened after that. He still won't tell me what he did but I imagine it was pretty crappy for them to give him notice of a 3strikes policy. Xbox Live is not dependant on somebody sitting there monitoring every game every bit of dialog that passes through the tubes there - that is the NSA's job;). They eveen warn that it requires userbase to essentially police themselves with the aid of GMs.

Comparing Computer online gaming communities(i.e. steam) to console gaming is comparing apples to oranges. It is akin to when a few years ago when people would try to comapre the G4processor to the flavor of the week from intel.

Steam is a nice unified portal but not every game available on PC is available there whereas microsoft requires some assemblance of Live functionality wheter it being just live aware for single player games to full fledged multiplayer support. It has become a great 'stalker tool'. (I believe this point was made earlier though.) I tried Xfire on my system when I played a bit of DarkMessiah but was not impressed(just my personal experience there).

jamesbond007

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
I don't like the 360 or windows. My main problems with the 360:

1. It was released too early. Since they released the 360 in 05 they weren't able to use a next gen format like blu ray and they couldn't do HDMI. Without these things the 360 doesn't seem like a next gen console has much the PS3.

2. Bad hardware design

3. Bad hardware Reliability

4. The only good exclusive games for the 360 seem to be shooters. It doesn't really have any good action adventure games like god of war or zelda.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1. You mean the PS3 that doesn't have Live, that doesn't have VGA support, that doesn't have rumble and controllers from the mid 90's? To me the PS3 feels like a 360 with the HD-DVD drive stuck in and it's core selling features (as mentioned above) removed.
To me the 360 feels like a properly filled out next gen console, the PS3 feels like a high end media centre that can also play a few games. Maybe it's just me though.

2 and 3. Oh yes, but that can be combined together. Unless you mean design as in looks? In which case I agree. It's fugly.

4. ... Not really. Good use of 'seem' though, you can make a disposable claim with it. And they have more Action Adventures than any other genre ;)

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I stay away from everything Microsoft not because of some misplaced loyalty to Apple, but rather because I don't believe in aiding monopolistic corporations continue to expand their empire (whether it's in PC software, gaming or elsewhere-- it's still the same company).

Apart from that, I'm not especially fond of their products. Just look at the current XBox situation. Microsoft has admitted that *ALL* XBox 360s have a design flaw. Wow.

So no, I would never get an XBox.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Merci Bien

Thanks to the all people who've replied, it's good to see a lot of you who aren't fans of Windows keep an open mind when it comes to other Microsoft products.

Yeah, the red light issue sucks on the 360. Never experienced it myself but at least Microsoft have (finally) admitted the problem and increased the warranty, so everything's good!

Anyway, to all those deciding which new console to buy, don't let the Microsoft name negatively influence your decision. There seems to have been a lot of replies from Apple fans who are happy with their 360's - so why not join them?

On a related note, I gotta say I still love my original Xbox and my cousins and friends still use theirs for some Halo 2 System Link play - excellent fun. It also amazes me to this day, that they actually managed to get Doom 3 and Half Life 2 working on it. Try doing that on a PS2! :D

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I hate Microsoft for many reasons. Gaming is NOT one of them. I believe that the XBOX 360 is the best thing MS has offered to the masses. I myself own a PS3, but this is just because I wanted to have Gran Turismo, MGS4, and some other exclusive games in the house. If it wasn't for those games, I wouldn't have any problem buying a 360. It's cheaper, too.

The concept that Mac users are Microsoft haters is an opinion of Apple haters, in order to justify their hate about Apple.

The bottom line is:
People have their likes and dislikes. But they are not stupid (at least most of them aren't). If a product is good, they will buy it regardless of the brand name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.