Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
does it keep .docx formatting? once you assemble the document can you export to .docx file to share? or do you export to pdf?

It Exports as .dox or .odt, amongst others.

Yes. Very simply, write it in .ODT, or Markdown, or LaTeX, or by hand, and have Google Docs convert it to text, and when you are finished, save as .DOCX.

Does the conversion save all links, formatting, tables, graphics, etc. properly?

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
That is politely put. I wasn't confused. I was wrong. On investigating more thoroughly, OnlyOffice seems to be a completely different code base. (I have correctly my earlier post)
It doesn't seem as if you have completely corrected your earlier post (Ref: #566). Specifically, “ONLYOFFICE and LibreOffice have common origins” does not seem accurate to me.

Additionally, I question this statement: “...and is not as compatible with MS Office.” On ONLYOFFICE’s website they claim, “Maximum compatibility with MS Office files: ONLYOFFICE Docs uses OOXML as a core format which guarantees the highest compatibility with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files (.docx, .xlsx, and .pptx).” (https://www.onlyoffice.com/best-libreoffice-alternative.aspx)

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
It doesn't seem as if you have completely corrected your earlier post (Ref: #566). Specifically, “ONLYOFFICE and LibreOffice have common origins” does not seem accurate to me.
Something happened to my edit (probably didn't hit the save button!). Done it again.

Maximum compatibility with MS Office files
I got put off when it doesn't correctly interpret date format from Excel.

Reactions: gregmac19

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Yes. Very simply, write it in .ODT, or Markdown, or LaTeX, or by hand, and have Google Docs convert it to text, and when you are finished, save as .DOCX. For extra compatibility, then open the .DOCX document in MS Word, and save as again, to get true Word compatibility.
If anything happens, you still have the .ODT source file and can can convert again, if necessary.

I am confused. Why do you go through all that long processes to convert to DOCX? LibreOffice has built in export to .DOCX format.

Additionally, I question this statement: “...and is not as compatible with MS Office.” On ONLYOFFICE’s website they claim, “Maximum compatibility with MS Office files: ONLYOFFICE Docs uses OOXML as a core format which guarantees the highest compatibility with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files (.docx, .xlsx, and .pptx).” (https://www.onlyoffice.com/best-libreoffice-alternative.aspx)

I do not get the ONLYOFFICE angle, at $8 why would I buy their product instead of office ?

Then you have FreeOffice, an office suite for free by SoftMaker?! how do they make money or pay developers to keep it updated? Whats the intention of creating such complex software and give it for free?

Reactions: Tagbert

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I do not get the ONLYOFFICE angle, at $8 why would I buy their product instead of office ?
It isn’t clear to me where you are getting the $8 figure, as I thought using ONLYOFFICE was free for personal use.

My interest in ONLYOFFICE is twofold:

a) I am trying to assist a friend who has a Mac, and regularly exchanges Word and Excel formated files with others, but does not have Microsoft Office on her computer. I started her out using Pages for her word processing needs, but we have been experimenting with LibreOffice and ONLYOFFICE to see whether those are better options. Our most recent experience with ONLYOFFICE was not particularly good, as several formatting features did not seem to work correctly. Additionally, it seems as if “Undo” often does not undo. I’ll continue to play with ONLYOFFICE, but I had higher hopes for the program.

b) I am contemplating a switch from macOS to Linux, and thus am looking into what office suite I could use if I made the move. Just judging by their website, ONLYOFFICE seems to support Linux well.

EDIT on 1/29/24: I should have mentioned that ONLYOFFICE, unlike LibreOffice, does not allow you to open .pages or .numbers files. However, I haven't been able to get LibreOffice to properly open even the simplest .numbers files. Also note that I haven’t tried any of these programs on Linux, yet.

I’m a mechanical engineer who has been using Macs and Microsoft products since the ‘80s, and not that you asked, but I’ll give you my opinions on office suite software:

At first, I was delighted to use Excel instead of Lotus 1-2-3, and I still mostly like the former. However after some teething pains, I much prefer Numbers for my personal stuff over any other spreadsheet program.

I generally liked Word when I first used it, but soon found other programs I liked better. Now, I prefer Pages for my “heavy” word processing needs. Actually, I use Bean instead of Pages most of the time, because my personal needs are pretty simple.

In summary, if I leave the macOS for Linux, I’ll definitely miss Apple’s office suite.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Then you have FreeOffice, an office suite for free by SoftMaker?! how do they make money or pay developers to keep it updated? Whats the intention of creating such complex software and give it for free?
SoftMaker is an example of a company that has a free product (FreeOffice) as well as a SoftMaker Office. A free version gets brand awareness and leads to commercial sales. In this case the free version has less functionality. Comparison https://www.softmaker.com/en/comparison-freeoffice-softmaker-office. [I have never used any SoftMaker products].

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I am confused. Why do you go through all that long processes to convert to DOCX? LibreOffice has built in export to .DOCX format.

I was saying that you could write in .ODT, or Markdown, or LaTeX, or by hand and have Google Docs convert your handwriting.

There are good reasons for writing in LibreOffice using .ODT, just as there are good reasons for writing in Markdown, and there are good reasons for writing in LaTeX.
Most interestingly, there are many studies that show you write a better document if you write it first by hand. If you don't want to copy-type it into the computer, you can scan it into Google Docs and that will convert your handwritten document to editable text.

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
It isn’t clear to me where you are getting the $8 figure, as I thought using ONLYOFFICE was free for personal use.

a) I am trying to assist a friend who has a Mac, and regularly exchanges Word and Excel formated files with others, but does not have Microsoft Office on her computer. I started her out using Pages for her word processing needs, but we have been experimenting with LibreOffice and ONLYOFFICE to see whether those are better options. Our most recent experience with ONLYOFFICE was not particularly good, as several formatting features did not seem to work correctly. Additionally, it seems as if “Undo” often does not undo. I’ll continue to play with ONLYOFFICE, but I had higher hopes for the program.

b) I am contemplating a switch from macOS to Linux, and thus am looking into what office suite I could use if I made the move. Just judging by their website, ONLYOFFICE seems to support Linux well.

EDIT on 1/29/24: I should have mentioned that ONLYOFFICE, unlike LibreOffice, does not allow you to open .pages or .numbers files. However, I haven't been able to get LibreOffice to properly open even the simplest .numbers files. Also note that I haven’t tried any of these programs on Linux, yet.

I’m a mechanical engineer who has been using Macs and Microsoft products since the ‘80s, and not that you asked, but I’ll give you my opinions on office suite software:

At first, I was delighted to use Excel instead of Lotus 1-2-3, and I still mostly like the former. However after some teething pains, I much prefer Numbers for my personal stuff over any other spreadsheet program.

I generally liked Word when I first used it, but soon found other programs I liked better. Now, I prefer Pages for my “heavy” word processing needs. Actually, I use Bean instead of Pages most of the time, because my personal needs are pretty simple.

In summary, if I leave the macOS for Linux, I’ll definitely miss Apple’s office suite.

My experience with OnlyOffice was slightly different though I still don't find it a perfect replacement for MS Office. Focusing on word processing, a few years ago (2020?) I needed something Word compatible very quickly. I tested all the popular free ones at the time (OpenOffice, OnlyOffice, probably FreeOffice, and probably a few others) and found OnlyOffice did the best preserving documents with complex formatting. Almost perfect with Word (close to their website's claims).

As such I used it to get me through that situation and it worked. Following that I got my original computer and Word working again and stuck with that because it still works the best for collaborating with other Word users.

Otherwise I found the UI/UX fine -- different enough from Word that it takes a little adjustment but at the same time not really more intuitive. I don't care much for Word's UI but I am used to it.

It also did pretty good on importing PDF documents and converting them to Word. This feature seems to have since broken.

The Desktop version is a free download for Windows, Mac, and Linux which makes it a nice cross-platform option (i.e. I like knowing I have the option to switch to Linux without switching applications even if I stick with mac for now). As such I kept a copy on my computer and test new versions periodically even though as above I stick with MS Office for serious work.

The Excel-alternative situation is a bit different. I did not find OnlyOffice's spreadsheet module a good substitute for Excel though I haven't really tested it that way in a year or so.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I was saying that you could write in .ODT, or Markdown, or LaTeX, or by hand and have Google Docs convert your handwriting.

Why not just export to DOCX directly? You can always save files in native format as well.
Most interestingly, there are many studies that show you write a better document if you write it first by hand. If you don't want to copy-type it into the computer, you can scan it into Google Docs and that will convert your handwritten document to editable text.

I doubt Google could read my handwriting considering even I can’t.

Reactions: MacBH928

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

its paid for corporate

SoftMaker is an example of a company that has a free product (FreeOffice) as well as a SoftMaker Office. A free version gets brand awareness and leads to commercial sales. In this case the free version has less functionality. Comparison https://www.softmaker.com/en/comparison-freeoffice-softmaker-office. [I have never used any SoftMaker products].

I didn't know they had a paid version. Still can't figure out if its paid, you might as well go for Office. Thats 100% compatibility or just completely free and FOSS Libreoffice. I wonder what market is it where Libreoffice is not sufficient but Office is too expensive.

I am guessing they are aiming at the Linux market since it has Linux version. Then again, OnlyOffice is free.

There are good reasons for writing in LibreOffice using .ODT, just as there are good reasons for writing in Markdown, and there are good reasons for writing in LaTeX.

Sorry, I thought you meant export to Google Docs to convert to text then convert that to .docx file.

Kobo Elipsa 2E

why not just ipad with pen. The price seems similar.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
There is always the Jinhao Snake pen --

s-l1600.jpg

along with a pad of good paper. Lots cheaper than the electronic version.
I assured my co-workers that it would bite them if they tried to steal it. Never had any problems.

Also, as for E-ink devices, can't find anywhere that will sell me a bottle of E-ink to refill.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
There is always the Jinhao Snake pen --

s-l1600.jpg

along with a pad of good paper. Lots cheaper than the electronic version.
I assured my co-workers that it would bite them if they tried to steal it. Never had any problems.

Also, as for E-ink devices, can't find anywhere that will sell me a bottle of E-ink to refill.

don't these pens create ink mess and spills

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
don't these pens create ink mess and spills

No, and that one will also bite you if you even suggest it...

Actually, they have been known to do that if you are King Charles.

But he's a doofus, and one of the better reasons Australia should become a republic. Andrew is the other one.

Last edited:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Deals come around all the time but tend to sell out or end after a short period. They are the best way to get a non-subscription version.
I found Office Home & Business for Mac 2021: Lifetime License at stacksocial for $59.97.

Considering that Microsoft stopped supporting Office 2019 just last year, I'm expecting that they will only support Office 2021 for another 1-2 years before doing same. So the 'lifetime license' means I can still keep using it, but updates and support will no longer be provided (and I suppose that bug fixes, etc will also stop in 1-2 years).

Still, I don't like the annual / monthly fee arrangement for Office 365 so this is my preference. It also gives me Office 2021 for as long as I want to use it, for the same price as a one-year subscription to 365 personal.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I still have my Microsoft account for office 365. Frankly, the only app I really enjoy is Microsoft Word. Pages is a poor excuse for a word processor, but it does look pretty, kinda like’ a kindergarten app. 🤗
Pages was designed to be somewhere between a word processor and desktop publishing app. In that space, it is excellent. I typically use MS Word for books that I send to the publisher, but for material that I print in-house, Pages does a better job than Word.

Reactions: Tagbert

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I use it because Excel is still unmatched and it’s the standard in the business world

I can’t have compatibility issues going back and forth etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.