Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
There are all kinds of chargers at home (most probably everyone has a few), and with USB-C charging is the norm, a charger is not needed to be sold with the new device. There are devices that can be charged wirelessly too. Anyway, we are supposed to leave this world safer for our children and grandchildren and their children, not dump yards full of dangerous stuff. Governments should, that is if they have the guts to, tell the companies to stop releasing a newer product every year, making the last year's product garbage. People's psyche says buy the new product, when the older one can last few more years, or people are pushed to think that way, against their own reasoning.

So, it is a good law telling the companies not to pack the chargers with a new electronic device. They could even force the companies not to pack the power cables too.
My view is that this is not the place for government to regulate; people shouldn’t be so weak willed.

Reactions: ric22 and *~Kim~*

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
My view is that this is not the place for government to regulate; people shouldn’t be so weak willed.
Well, people are! They watch advertisements and those attack them everyday diluting their willpower.
So we need governments and regulations. And, this is a good regulation, and comes from a group of representatives of group of governments, some are not even connected to a given government.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If governments start telling companies to release products less often, they get less VAT revenue. This is probably part of the reason the UK haven’t binned the EU directive post Brexit - USB C means the same VAT on the device being sold at the same price point without a charger as it would’ve been with + extra VAT on sales of USB C bricks or USB A to C cables; had USB A been the standard, far fewer people would need to buy a thing.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Well, people are! They watch advertisements and those attack them everyday diluting their willpower.
So we need governments and regulations. And, this is a good regulation, and comes from a group of representatives of group of governments, some are not even connected to a given government.
I’d be quite happy for advertising to be outlawed.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
If governments start telling companies to release products less often, they get less VAT revenue. This is probably part of the reason the UK haven’t binned the EU directive post Brexit - USB C means the same VAT on the device being sold at the same price point without a charger as it would’ve been with + extra VAT on sales of USB C bricks or USB A to C cables; had USB A been the standard, far fewer people would need to buy a thing.
Yeah economies would crater.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I’d be quite happy for advertising to be outlawed.
This I would like, if only to see the back of the damn distracting animated advertising hoardings you see during football matches!!! 😅

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
There are all kinds of chargers at home (most probably everyone has a few), and with USB-C charging is the norm, a charger is not needed to be sold with the new device. There are devices that can be charged wirelessly too. Anyway, we are supposed to leave this world safer for our children and grandchildren and their children, not dump yards full of dangerous stuff. Governments should, that is if they have the guts to, tell the companies to stop releasing a newer product every year, making the last year's product garbage. People's psyche says buy the new product, when the older one can last few more years, or people are pushed to think that way, against their own reasoning.

So, it is a good law telling the companies not to pack the chargers with a new electronic device. They could even force the companies not to pack the power cables too.
Agree on leaving the world in a better place for our children. Like I said before, the focus should be on the most significant ways we are harming the planet first, before spending time and resources on all the little stuff.

Disagree on the charger law coming in to force before people have built up a few higher wattage USB-C chargers at home.

Disagree on companies being told not to release new stuff annually, for too many reasons even to begin listing.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Agree on leaving the world in a better place for our children. Like I said before, the focus should be on the most significant ways we are harming the planet first, before spending time and resources on all the little stuff.

Disagree on the charger law coming in to force before people have built up a few higher wattage USB-C chargers at home.

Disagree on companies being told not to release new stuff annually, for too many reasons even to begin listing.
There’s nothing stopping people from buying high wattage USB-C chargers right now; the market is full of them. We don’t need to wait before removing them from boxes as there is already loads and loads of choice all over.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
We are harming the planet with more charger production, and...more electronic device production, as some of them go to the so-called 3rd world countries to disposed off.
Well, some countries make them much, much cheaper...and, they live longer.
If they want to release a new electronic device every year, they should be told to maintain the older ones for 10 years or so. People don't buy fridges, washing machines, dishwashers every year, some are there for 10-20 years. Computers should too!

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
If it wasn’t truly about the money, Apple could have offered a trade in scheme where their customers hand in old lightning cables and get a free USB-C cable. We’ve already paid for it and Apple get to control where the old cables go for a true environmentally friendly response to their marketing feel good message.

Totally absurd I know.

And there would be an option to include a charger in the box for a nominal charge. Appe is clearly cashing in a nice margin for anyone buying a separate charger.

Reactions: ric22

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
There’s nothing stopping people from buying high wattage USB-C chargers right now; the market is full of them. We don’t need to wait before removing them from boxes as there is already loads and loads of choice all over.
We've been over this already, you and I. It means we are paying double. We pay Apple just as much money as we would with a charger, but don't get one, then have to buy one.

Reactions: *~Kim~* and bob24

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
If they want to release a new electronic device every year, they should be told to maintain the older ones for 10 years or so. People don't buy fridges, washing machines, dishwashers every year, some are there for 10-20 years. Computers should too!
Obligations to maintain devices would be nice. Enforcing things like user removable batteries and no soldered SSD's would also be nice.

Well, some countries make them much, much cheaper...and, they live longer
The inhabitants live longer? 😉

I wouldn't charge a metal framed laptop without an earthed/grounded (delete as applicable to the country you live in) charger, as on 240v the tingle you get through your palms/wrists feels unpleasant. Apple chargers are grounded if you use the extension lead (now sold separately of course- thanks, Tim Cook), but not via the duckheads, so as to save them 1 cent on each device.

Off brand USB-C chargers and multi chargers do not tend to be earthed/grounded, roughly 99.9% of the time. It's not a legal requirement, so who cares about the annoying tingle?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
We've been over this already, you and I. It means we are paying double. We pay Apple just as much money as we would with a charger, but don't get one, then have to buy one.
You aren’t going to get a discount just because the charger isn’t included in the box. No charger in the box is the new normal; prices won’t change because of that.

Look at when headphones were removed from the box, the price did not change.

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
And there would be an option to include a charger in the box for a nominal charge. Appe is clearly cashing in a nice margin for anyone buying a separate charger.
There is already an option to include a charger with your order. It won’t be in the box but I don’t think it’s a necessary that it is actually in the same box.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
You aren’t going to get a discount just because the charger isn’t included in the box. No charger in the box is the new normal; prices won’t change because of that.

Look at when headphones were removed from the box, the price did not change.
So you agree with me the consumer is getting charged more because of the law. We went round in a circle and came to that conclusion once before. It is a lovely gift from the EU to the likes of Apple.

I think it's time we stopped responding to each other's posts on this topic, as there's no point going on a third lap round the same park.

Edit: If the charger comes on a separate box that means more packaging= that can't be good for the environment? If the consumer buys from a third party that means not only more packaging but also more transportation pollution= even worse for the environment.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
So you agree with me the consumer is getting charged more because of the law. We went round in a circle and came to that conclusion once before.

I think it's time we stopped responding to each other's posts on this topic, as there's no point going on a third lap round the same park.
Errr, yes, the consumer is being charged more. I’m not sure this is a new revelation to anyone.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Errr, yes, the consumer is being charged more. I’m not sure this is a new revelation to anyone.
Because of the EU's policy coming in to place 5-10 years too soon. Maybe a gift to Apple as an apology for enforcing USB-C?

Anyway, please let's you and I drop the subject, as we're going round and round in circles, and will clearly always have differing opinions.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Because of the EU's policy coming in to place 5-10 years too soon. Maybe a gift to Apple as an apology for enforcing USB-C?

Anyway, please let's you and I drop the subject, as we're going round and round in circles, and will clearly always have differing opinions.
But usb-c chargers of all sizes and capabilities are already widely available for people to purchase. There’s no need to wait 5-10 years to remove chargers from boxes. They can go now. I’m not sure why we need to wait.

Reactions: klasma

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
But usb-c chargers of all sizes and capabilities are already widely available for people to purchase. There’s no need to wait 5-10 years to remove chargers from boxes. They can go now. I’m not sure why we need to wait.
Because they should go when only the minority need to buy them, the majority able to do as the directive intended and reuse what they already have. The implementation coming when USB-C is relatively new is costing the average consumer, since as we all recognise, Apple et al were never going to drop the price when the accessories were removed.

USB-C came to Macbook in 2015, the iPad in 2018 (on the Pro, which means the majority of iPad users getting it for the first time between 2020-22 if they happened to upgrade at the point that USB-C came to their line) and the iPhone only last year, NEVER getting a brick in the box. Therefore only tech enthusiasts don’t lose out here - four generations of Pros (the average user probably does upgrade within that time, but don’t buy the Pro) two Airs, one Mini and one base iPad shipped with USB-C before the chargers were removed. Tech enthusiasts were also more likely to buy multiple sizes of devices while the chargers were still in the boxes.

Currently, it is tech enthusiasts with the spares/entirely unnecessary chargers since they make a free choice to buy a better one, and the average consumer having to pay for a means of charging when it was provided with the device before. Had the chargers been included long enough for the average consumer to upgrade from a USB-C device to a newer one (5-10 years), they too would be in the position of having everything they need for years to come. As it is, the balance is weighted more in favour of the environment/profits rather than a central position where the average consumer would never have used the charger even if it had been provided (the very definition of waste.)

Last edited:
  • Love

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Because they should go when only the minority need to buy them, the majority able to do as the directive intended and reuse what they already have. The implementation coming when USB-C is relatively new is costing the average consumer, since as we all recognise, Apple et al were never going to drop the price when the accessories were removed.

USB-C came to Macbook in 2015, the iPad in 2018 (on the Pro, which means the majority of iPad users getting it for the first time between 2020-22 if they happened to upgrade at the point that USB-C came to their line) and the iPhone only last year, NEVER getting a brick in the box. Therefore only tech enthusiasts don’t lose out here - four generations of Pros (the average user probably does upgrade upgrade within that time, but don’t buy the Pro) two Airs, one Mini and one base iPad shipped with USB-C before the chargers were removed. Tech enthusiasts were also more likely to buy multiple sizes of devices while the chargers were still in the boxes.

Currently, it is tech enthusiasts with the spares/entirely unnecessary chargers since they make a free choice to buy a better one, and the average consumer having to pay for a means of charging when it was provided with the device before. Had the chargers been included long enough for the average consumer to upgrade from a USB-C device to a newer one, they too would be in the position of having everything they need for years to come. As it is, the balance is weighted more in favour of the environment/profits rather than a central position where the average consumer would never have used the charger even if it had been provided (the very definition of waste.)
The regulation is designed to be in favour of the environment.

It’s only really a consumer benefit in so far as you can use the same/one charger for everything. Plus massive reduction in the number of chargers being produced and dumped, which is a big help for humanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma and chmania

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The regulation is designed to be in favour of the environment.

It’s only really a consumer benefit in so far as you can use the same/one charger for everything. Plus massive reduction in the number of chargers being produced and dumped, which is a big help for humanity.

I don’t know that it’s really reduced things yet as people are buying them perhaps more now then they were 10 years ago. We have more devices now and quite often people buy multiple chargers for around the home. In theory it’s a good thing, I’m just not convinced it’s a benefit we are seeing yet. I think the ill feeling also comes when manufacturers do not include chargers, but you won’t see £30 come off the retail price and the general prices go up to mask it even further. As already said though, great for third party manufacturers who have suddenly seen a spike in sales though so at least it’s not all going to Apple.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You can buy USB-A to USB-C cables and use all your USB-A chargers. You don’t need a charging brick with a USB-C connection just because the device has a USB-C port.
I typically like to use original Apple chargers and cables. There’s no USB-A to USB-C Apple cable. I have two USB-C to USB-C cables (the one that came with my Air 5 and a 2m cable I bought), but nothing else.

Were I to get a USB-C iPhone, I’d probably have to buy one.

Like I said, postponing this decision for a short period of time would do nothing. I don’t upgrade frequently (I don’t update iOS so my devices work perfectly for as long as I want them to), and I’d need years of Apple including USB-C Power Adapters to accumulate enough.

I will buy them when I need to. I’m very environmentally friendly, but this sounds like “I’ll save money under the guise of the environment”, IMO.

I haven’t dumped a single charger. I have them all. Is there a point where I can say I have enough? Yes. I probably have three extra 5W USB-A Power Adapters. Not much.

Apple can probably claim that, by now, users have enough 5W Power Adapters so as not to include them. (Anecdotally, MacRumors typically agrees, with the frequent updaters of this forums having “dozens” of them laying around). Everything else should be included, in my opinion.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I don’t know that it’s really reduced things yet as people are buying them perhaps more now then they were 10 years ago. We have more devices now and quite often people buy multiple chargers for around the home. In theory it’s a good thing, I’m just not convinced it’s a benefit we are seeing yet. I think the ill feeling also comes when manufacturers do not include chargers, but you won’t see £30 come off the retail price and the general prices go up to mask it even further. As already said though, great for third party manufacturers who have suddenly seen a spike in sales though so at least it’s not all going to Apple.
Well we can probably be pretty certain that fewer chargers are being manufactured and shipped now.

At worst the same number of chargers are being manufactured (assuming every device sold is also sold with a charger).

However I suspect that far fewer chargers are now being manufactured as not everyone will buy a new charger with every device as they’ll either use their existing chargers, or they’ll buy one and keep it from then on out for future devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
So you agree with me the consumer is getting charged more because of the law. ... It is a lovely gift from the EU to the likes of Apple.
Not really, as it is against the consumer laws of a given country, or a group of countries, then the seller is liable for large fines. If Apple directly sells the product, Apple is the seller too, and liable. The little profit off one item is not worth the fines.

When there are too many tech shops vying to sell a product, there's always a price war, discounts appear every few weeks. So, waiting is the best bet. Never pre-pay for a product, never buy a product on the release day, week or month, wait. It is our right to buy something at our convenience. And, waiting helps. :)

Companies have to sell what they make, and as quickly as they can, otherwise costs rise. So, to get rid of the first batch, and to start with the 2nd batch they have to hurry to sell them off. And, at a discount. Waiting is the best bet.
Not too early at all, it is actually too late, really. There are thousands of other device producers, who have to comply. The user is the winner here.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well we can probably be pretty certain that fewer chargers are being manufacturers and shipped now.

At worst the same number of chargers are being manufactured (assuming every device sold is also sold with a charger).

However I suspect that far fewer charges are now being manufactured as not everyone will buy a new charger with every device as they’ll either use their existing chargers, or they’ll buy one and keep it from then on out for future devices.

I’m not pretty sure but there we go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.