Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
it would be nice if the Pro had more colour choices. They can leave the black and white , and then add more choices, not just one additional colour to the line, a wider choice not the boring colours they have

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Do the base models cater to a larger audience?

They are supposed to, but the price of the base model would have given you the top-of-the-line model some years ago.

iPhone buyers buy this device for one of two reasons:
- they think it is a status symbol to own an iPhone
- they know the pros and cons of the Apple ecosystem and want/ like to use this ecosystem.

I have known people who would buy MacBooks and iPhones and then sell them off within weeks, stating that they were unable to grasp the operating system or it was just not for them. It could be buyer's remorse, too, I cannot know.

I have known people who spend money to buy iPhones and MacBooks because they want to use this ecosystem, knowing full well that they could get 99.9% of their needs met with something that would cost them 1/3rd of the price of these devices.

The base models are supposed to entice people with goofy color schemes. The Pro models need to look more aristocratic in comparison, just to satisfy the Pro connotation.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

IBMlover

macrumors member
May 4, 2021
Austria
But it's true, we all know it. ;)
Look around you: most iPhones are hidden behind cases. This is also the reason why most people don't even notice the camera bump.

Many iPhone users do not care about color, you can see from the used market that most devices are black or silver/white. It's the same thing with cars: look at the streets - the majority have the same color: black, silver, white...

It's mainly the geeks/enthusiasts or maybe people who want to show off that care about the iPhone color.

From an economic standpoint: It's clear that Apple does sell less iPhone Pro's than regular iPhones since it's more expensive and targeted to a smaller audience. So why bother with many color options when only few people would buy it?

Reactions: amoebas

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Look around you: most iPhones are hidden behind cases. This is also the reason why most people don't even notice the camera bump.

Many iPhone users do not care about color, you can see from the used market that most devices are black or silver/white. It's the same thing with cars: look at the streets - the majority have the same color: black, silver, white...

It's mainly the geeks/enthusiasts or maybe people who want to show off that care about the iPhone color.

From an economic standpoint: It's clear that Apple does sell less iPhone Pro's than regular iPhones since it's more expensive and targeted to a smaller audience. So why bother with many color options when only few people would buy it?
Well, IDK. That's been argued several times here. The community is fairly split on who uses cases and who doesn't. That said, we aren't the average user as those do not typically frequent tech forums.

In any case…(ha) for my self, I do not use cases. And my choice in color is always black - or as close to black as Apple will sell. So for me, color does drive a choice but it's literally "just how close to black are you coming this year Apple".

My wife makes color choices too - and then sticks her phone in an OtterBox! :rolleyes: She's probably more representative of your assertion.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have a brick red car and a deep blue car in my driveway. :)

Reactions: IBMlover

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Well, IDK. That's been argued several times here. The community is fairly split on who uses cases and who doesn't. That said, we aren't the average user as those do not typically frequent tech forums.

In any case…(ha) for my self, I do not use cases. And my choice in color is always black - or as close to black as Apple will sell. So for me, color does drive a choice but it's literally "just how close to black are you coming this year Apple".

My wife makes color choices too - and then sticks her phone in an OtterBox! :rolleyes: She's probably more representative of your assertion.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have a brick red car and a deep blue car in my driveway. :)

Idk where y’all live but everywhere I see 40 and younger women and men have clear or decorative cases that accentuates the color of the iPhone. Maybe just old people don’t care but the vast majority of women and a lot of men do care.

Reactions: tpfang56

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I love different colors on phones. I like almost all of them. I really liked the purple on the S21 line, but didn’t offer it on the ultra. I think my favorite color on the 12 series iPhone is the green.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Idk where y’all live but everywhere I see 40 and younger women and men have clear or decorative cases that accentuates the color of the iPhone. Maybe just old people don’t care but the vast majority of women and a lot of men do care.
You'll have to forgive me. I'm 50 (almost 51) and my wife is five years older than me. So, us olds are in the thread. ;)

My son is going on 18 though and he's always had a case for his SEs - but usually black plastic something or other. My daughter though is 13 and has never asked for a case. She put googly eyes on the back of her 6s though.

Oh yeah…Phoenix. ;)

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
I’ve got to admit , the new lilac purple iPhone 12 looks stunning and I much prefer it to any colour choice the 12 Pro offers.
I also loved the XS rose gold.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Why do people care about the color of their cars?

People make it a part of their identity. Given how much people spend on them, it’s not really a surprise— people work hard for their money and want to enjoy spending it.
Funny because most people I see cover up their phone with a case. I do not however so I bought white (or pinkish white)

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
The actual reason is because it’s easier to get consistent colors with aluminum than with stainless steel.
100% correct !

Anodizing aluminum for colors is a chemical process and is consistent - way different than stainless steel which resists colorizing.

Consistent color quality is probably an Apple QC issue during manufacture.

Until recent, in the past I didn't care much about the boring silver, gold, white colors until the new iMac 24" came out and I got the blue to match my blue iPhone 12 Pro....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.