Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2022
Just curious. When we install a new OS from Apple we first tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions then a little panel pops up and we have to tap Agree again.

Seems odd but I’m sure there is some legal reason for this.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
No idea why, but it has been the case since the very beginning. I remember thinking it was odd when I installed the original OS X beta back around 2000.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems odd but I’m sure there is some legal reason for this.
Its most certainly a legal reason. Apple wouldn't put a popup to re-confirm you're agreeing by mistake.

Back in the day, many linux users protested MS Windows and wanted a refund because they never agreed to the EULA, and so I think much of the confirmation stuff is quasi-related to ensuring stuff like that won't happen.

Reactions: Boyd01

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Could it be…. Just wondering if the first version is hard coded in the software package and the second pop up is an updated or amended version pulled up when the installer “phoned home?” I don’t know anyone who actually reads all that legal gobbledygook. Are we sure the two versions are identical?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.