Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't buy my iPhones outright because I don't need to. I can afford to pay a contract so it works out better for me, even if I end up paying more.

I also don't want the hassle of changing my phone every 12 months.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I used to use carrier contracts when they were reasonably priced (for 6S+ and 8+), but started buying my phones outright since the SE2 was released and going on SIM only. On a contract you will generally pay more over the 2 years duration, so i now enjoy being free and can move to another carrier whenever i please, depending on who gives me the better SIM only contract for less than £20 per month. Its also fun shopping around looking for deals when buying my new phone (Amazon UK etc).

aok75

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2021
Because it’s cheaper for me.

15 Pro Max $1150 ( 10% discount and no tax)

Sep to Nov 2023 Free 3 months unlimited plan from US mobile.

DEC 23 to FEB 23 buy one month get one free from visible mobile $25.

Feb 2024 - Jan 2025 : Boost mobile 35gb monthly plan, $150 for the next year.

• Love
Reactions: jlc1978 and krspkbl

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
As a stockholder I prefer buying directly from the company I own, I usually keep my phones in use for 6-7 years and have a low cost carrier contract.

Reactions: Tru3B1u3

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
If I can then I will always buy something outright. I've never bought a phone or any other product on contract (except my first car). I like to know it's paid off and I'm not having to worry about monthly payments with interest on top (god knows I have enough bills to pay every month which forever keep rising).

My 15 Pro Max cost £1,500 so I paid it in full. Now I just pay £8/month for my network cost. Some people I know are paying £60-80/month and that's after 2-3 years when the cost of the phone is paid off. It's a pure rip off.

When I got my current car I even paid that outright. It was second hand but the seller was trying hard to get me to finance it over 5 years. I had the £7,000 to buy it there and then to drive it out knowing it's mine so that's what I did. My first car I was stupid enough to finance it. The price on the car was £6,000 but I eventually paid ~£8,000 on it and it took 5 years to pay it off.

Even when it comes to subscriptions I avoid paying monthly if I can. If there is an annual or multi year offer then that's what I'm going with. For example, Spotify is either £132/year (monthly) or £99 for a year.

There is generally nothing wrong with contracts but I stay away from them where possible.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
My carrier is Mint Mobile. If you buy a phone through them then it shows in the database as being locked to US Cellular and you get bupkis for a trade in on most sites. I buy direct from Apple. If I can afford it, I buy it outright. If I can't afford it, then do I really need a new phone right now?

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I get the best deal. For my last few phones, that has been buying through Apple. Keep in mind that most of the time when there’s a great deal through a carrier, it requires a new line. That’s fine but I’ve been with my carrier since phones were called car phones (original Sprint customer) and have no desire to change carriers nor do I have a need for a new line. Apple usually has a good trade in value plus I get the credit card rewards.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
It worked out cheaper to buy it outright, I had the cash and didn’t want the credit appearing on my credit report. Plus Amex gives me cash back

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I don't buy my iPhones outright because I don't need to. I can afford to pay a contract so it works out better for me, even if I end up paying more.

I also don't want the hassle of changing my phone every 12 months.
Why would buying phones outright require changing a phone every 12 months? It has been about 40 months for me on my 12 Pro.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I get the best deal. For my last few phones, that has been buying through Apple. Keep in mind that most of the time when there’s a great deal through a carrier, it requires a new line. That’s fine but I’ve been with my carrier since phones were called car phones (original Sprint customer) and have no desire to change carriers nor do I have a need for a new line. Apple usually has a good trade in value plus I get the credit card rewards.
In recent years, you don't need to get a new line for a promotion. Just agree to get credits over 36 months.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
sometimes i buy outright, sometimes i finance. it just happened to work out that i bought my 15 Pro outright, and I'll probably keep on this path. makes it easier to sell for sure.

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
I always buy my phones SIM-free without a carrier. I have been a customer of my current carrier for many years, and have gradually built up a good price on my plan, which can no longer be obtained. It can be a big expense to buy a new iPhone today, but I take good care of my phones, so I can always get good money for the old one, and then I supplement up to what a new iPhone costs.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I've never bought a phone from a carrier - going back all the way to my first GSM phone in 2000. Carriers generally dont sell the phone I want. I've also usually associated buying from carriers with contracts - which is also something I dont do.

• Angry
Reactions: waltman

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I don't understand some of the arguments here... You are no longer locked in with your carrier for years, at least not with the big three (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile). That practice has ended a long time ago. AT&T and Verizon will unlock 60 days after purchase, T-Mobile will unlock 40 days after purchase. If you've already been with a carrier for a while now...do you really think you might jump to another one within two months after getting a new phone? Chances are you would have already done it by now, or will do it several months later.

The "contracts" today are not the same as the contracts from many years ago. Back then, yes...you were locked in for two years and had an early termination fee if you wanted to leave. These days, the "contract" is with the trade-in program. You need to stay with them for two or three years to get the full trade-in value towards a free or heavily discounted phone, but you're certainly free to pay off the phone early (missing out on the remaining credits) and leave with no termination fee. Say you decide to leave (or want to upgrade) a year later...you would have earned $200-$300 in credits so far. The cost of the phone ends up being $200-$300 less than if you paid for it outright. The other carrier may even pay the remaining balance depending on their promotions going on at the time.

Sure, sometimes you need to change your plan, which may go up. However, the last time I did this, my plan actually went down $20 per month. Right now, Verizon is now offering me a personal/loyalty offer to trade-in/upgrade without changing my plan, but I'm holding out for the iPhone 16.

Long story short, don't just assume you'll be locked in for several years by going through a carrier. You're most likely not locked in for years, and you may actually find a good deal.

The big three here (US) either sim lock or file lock your device or both if you finance. Even if you don’t most times.

I prefer to buy from the OEM unlocked. Sometimes you can get great deals. Personally, I like to swap devices once in a while. Like to try phones not normally sold in the US too ;)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why would buying phones outright require changing a phone every 12 months? It has been about 40 months for me on my 12 Pro.

It doesn’t but a lot of people who buy outright seem to do that. It gives them the freedom to switch without being tied to a contract, and for a few here the allure of having a slightly better phone every 12 months is a real social pressure.

I can afford a contract, and don’t want to pay a big chunk out for a phone personally. I’d rather pay over a period I know i’ll keep the phone which for me is 2 years. There is no right or wrong. Some who buy outright seem to think their way is the correct way, but many can afford to do it the contract way even if it costs more. Each to their own I say.

Reactions: dk001

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Each to their own I say.
Agree!
recently got a great condition 14 Pro Max 256GB for £750, I couple that with a pay monthly rolling 1 month contract at £10 a month for 25GB data and unlimited calls and text, all unrestricted on the networks full 5G speeds.
Same process as me mate. The only difference being I'd never buy a "pro" model; the extra features are just not worth it to me...

I buy a phone outright (second hand phone that is), get myself onto a £10/month plan (ie from Voxi, 1pmobile etc) and then keep the phone for 4-5 years…

The £10/month plans generally give you 20+GB of data, unlimited calls, text etc…and with wifi access at home and work, consuming all of my mobile data has never been an issue for me. If I need more data…well I’ll step-up to a £15 or £20/month plan with plenty of extra data to consume…

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
It doesn’t but a lot of people who buy outright seem to do that. It gives them the freedom to switch without being tied to a contract, and for a few here the allure of having a slightly better phone every 12 months is a real social pressure.

I can afford a contract, and don’t want to pay a big chunk out for a phone personally. I’d rather pay over a period I know i’ll keep the phone which for me is 2 years. There is no right or wrong. Some who buy outright seem to think their way is the correct way, but many can afford to do it the contract way even if it costs more. Each to their own I say.

We are lucky in the UK as mobile phones is the one thing we've had for decades, and has matured into a pick a choose model, want a contract get one, want to buy outright if you go, want to swap easy, want multiply esims yes you can have that. Want to buy second hand no problemo, want a PAYG, get it, PAYGM (rolling monthly contract) you have a big choice.
All with added benefits, gimmicks, features, only thing we do lack is widespread 5G or even 4G from most providers. Will be interesting to see what the 3G switch off does for signals.

Something for everyone as it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

avheatherim

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
Verizon only gives the good trade-up deals to people on their latest plans. I like my slightly older plan and do not intend to change it.
Carriers have also been moving to a 36-month finance rather that the previous 24-month. I want the freedom to upgrade iPhones without waiting 3 years.

So, since there's no decent carrier deal, I just buy it outright. Then I can do what I want, when I want.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
The big three here (US) either sim lock or file lock your device or both if you finance. Even if you don’t most times.
Yes, they still lock phones, but it isn't for the full two or three years that many people seem to think.

Verizon automatically unlocks after 60 days, even if it's not paid off.
The last time I purchased through Verizon, Settings > General > About > Carrier Lock showed "No SIM restrictions" after a couple months...meaning it was unlocked even though it wasn't fully paid off. My monthly trade-in credits were still paying for the "free" phone. My parents are halfway through their trade-in/payment "contract" and their phones are unlocked as well.

AT&T unlocks after 60 days or when it's paid off, whichever is greater.
T-Mobile unlocks after 40 days or when it's paid off, whichever is greater.

So if you need to leave or unlock before your "contract" is up, just pay off the remaining balance. You'll get to keep the credits received so far, resulting in a cheaper phone than if you had paid full price up front. You are not stuck with them for two or three years; that practice is dead.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Carriers have also been moving to a 36-month finance rather that the previous 24-month. I want the freedom to upgrade iPhones without waiting 3 years.
This is exactly what people get hung up on. If you end up wanting to upgrade before the 36-month period is up, just pay off the remaining balance and you can upgrade. You'll just miss out on the remaining credits.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
I don't understand some of the arguments here... You are no longer locked in with your carrier for years, at least not with the big three (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile). That practice has ended a long time ago. AT&T and Verizon will unlock 60 days after purchase, T-Mobile will unlock 40 days after purchase. If you've already been with a carrier for a while now...do you really think you might jump to another one within two months after getting a new phone? Chances are you would have already done it by now, or will do it several months later.

The "contracts" today are not the same as the contracts from many years ago. Back then, yes...you were locked in for two years and had an early termination fee if you wanted to leave. These days, the "contract" is with the trade-in program. You need to stay with them for two or three years to get the full trade-in value towards a free or heavily discounted phone, but you're certainly free to pay off the phone early (missing out on the remaining credits) and leave with no termination fee. Say you decide to leave (or want to upgrade) a year later...you would have earned $200-$300 in credits so far. The cost of the phone ends up being $200-$300 less than if you paid for it outright. The other carrier may even pay the remaining balance depending on their promotions going on at the time.

Sure, sometimes you need to change your plan, which may go up. However, the last time I did this, my plan actually went down $20 per month. Right now, Verizon is now offering me a personal/loyalty offer to trade-in/upgrade without changing my plan, but I'm holding out for the iPhone 16.

Long story short, don't just assume you'll be locked in for several years by going through a carrier. You're most likely not locked in for years, and you may actually find a good deal.

There isn’t a single plan from the big three that I’ve seen (I’ve looked for quite some time) that would be more cost effective than buying it outright and paying for $25/month through Visible.

Those promotional credits do help bring the cost down, but at $65/month (lowest I saw), cellular plans are already too expensive.

If you HAVE to use the big three, then there’s merit to getting your phone from your carrier. But whether or not you decide to finance your phone from them depends on the cost of your plan before adding it in.

Many would do just fine using a cellular provider that piggy backs off of Verizon’s, AT&T, and T-Mobile cell towers.

Reactions: BigBlur

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I always pay full amount, I never do monthly. Cellular plans are to brainwash people, I have 5 lines T-Mobile essential for $120 total per month. Most people are brainwash with getting the highest plan thinking there getting the best trade in but they don't realize there basically paying for it monthly since they don't have the lower plan. I'm the only one that upgrade yearly, I usually sell it back on ebay at least $900-950 for the pro 6.1 128gb.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We are lucky in the UK as mobile phones is the one thing we've had for decades, and has matured into a pick a choose model, want a contract get one, want to buy outright if you go, want to swap easy, want multiply esims yes you can have that. Want to buy second hand no problemo, want a PAYG, get it, PAYGM (rolling monthly contract) you have a big choice.
All with added benefits, gimmicks, features, only thing we do lack is widespread 5G or even 4G from most providers. Will be interesting to see what the 3G switch off does for signals.

Something for everyone as it should be.

Absolutely, we are lucky to have so many options and our contracts do seem to be much cheaper than other countries even if sometimes we pay more for the devices.

There does seem to be a certain amount of snobbery on here about contracts and this superior view that buying outright is the correct option. Not everyone wants to do that and in some cases people spread the cost over a number of years to make it more affordable on a monthly basis. Heaven forbid some in society don’t have £1300 sitting in their bank to make a big purchase eh? I personally choose not to, but we all choose whatever method works for us.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I always pay full amount, I never do monthly. Cellular plans are to brainwash people, I have 5 lines T-Mobile essential for $120 total per month. Most people are brainwash with getting the highest plan thinking there getting the best trade in but they don't realize there basically paying for it monthly since they don't have the lower plan. I'm the only one that upgrade yearly, I usually sell it back on ebay at least $900-950 for the pro 6.1 128gb.

That’s great for people who have the disposable income to be able to buy outright though isn’t it? Carrier plans have to be transparent about the total cost over the entire contract by law, so everyone has the ability to review how much they are obligated to pay. Whether someone wants to pay in a lump sum or over a period is up to them and it’s not about ‘brainwashing’.

Phones can be treated like any other utility bill and factored into our outgoings monthly. I pay £43 a month for my iPhone and data plan and I’m ok with that. It’s about a fifth of my monthly home electric bill and is paid for in exactly the same way. When you consider so many people on this forum are happy to pay for AppleCare which is nearly the cost of the average car insurance policy, a phone contract is not the scam we see with other products.

Reactions: fatTribble

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Yes, they still lock phones, but it isn't for the full two or three years that many people seem to think.

Verizon automatically unlocks after 60 days, even if it's not paid off.
The last time I purchased through Verizon, Settings > General > About > Carrier Lock showed "No SIM restrictions" after a couple months...meaning it was unlocked even though it wasn't fully paid off. My monthly trade-in credits were still paying for the "free" phone. My parents are halfway through their trade-in/payment "contract" and their phones are unlocked as well.

AT&T unlocks after 60 days or when it's paid off, whichever is greater.
T-Mobile unlocks after 40 days or when it's paid off, whichever is greater.

So if you need to leave or unlock before your "contract" is up, just pay off the remaining balance. You'll get to keep the credits received so far, resulting in a cheaper phone than if you had paid full price up front. You are not stuck with them for two or three years; that practice is dead.

Not sure what plan you are on but 60 days? Nope. Had four phones in the family, all paid off, 3 via AT&T, one bought outright. All three AT&T purchased phones (iPhone 11, iPhone 13, Galaxy Flip 3) all were locked and I had to request unlock. Now, that may have changed in the last year. All 4 phones were on the $75 Unlimited everything plan.

These days I buy outright and all are on Mint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.