Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I'd like to have a serious discussion about that. Unless you are Shaquille O'Neal, there are limits to how big a watch can be and still fit on your wrist. So, the vast majority of the uses of a smartphone won't apply to a smartwatch. You won't be using it to play games, view pictures or do web browsing, for example. So why does it have to have a color display?

Apple isn't the only company getting this wrong, IMO. Samsung and Motorola also introduced color smartwatches, which have the same problems; no always-on display, no readability while wearing sunglasses, etc.

I would like to see Apple introduce a slightly less expensive version with most of the same features, but with an always-on B&W display.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
*Facepalm*
Have you seen the keynote? You can veiw pictures. There will be third party apps also. And it ****ing looks nice!!!!!

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Maybe just the red LED look from the 70's? The display cost on something like this has got to be so cheap, the little more for a full color display would appeal to so many more people. At some point, I would expect to see a kindle like display that is easier to read in the day. Look at the tablet market vs. the e-reader market. So while there may be a market for a monochrome smart watch, even the market for a color smart watch is too small already.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
You need color precisely because it IS such a small display: one pixel can express more information via color than a B/W or gray pixel, increasing the data density. And by "more" I mean "a LOT more", and not just by straight count (2^24 > 2^8), but by human contextual association as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.