Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It doesn't need it.
It's an option, just like it's optional to not clean it, iOS allows you to force quit apps too...
Probably having double or more memory works in Androids favour too..

mag33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
I've been using a Xiaomi for a while and it comes with a "cleaner" installed factory new. Unless you turn it off, it keeps bothering you every day to clear any not needed files in the system.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sometimes my iPhone starts overheating or acting weird so I have to reboot it. And recently my Note10+ had some lag in a text entry window, so I used the maintenance app on it and it cleared away whatever was causing the lag. I don’t really know why some apps go rogue and seem to hog resources and not get released like they should.

But I’m glad there now exists a means of fixing that so people like me, who enjoy tech but who are not at a level of technical proficiency to troubleshoot in depth, can just focus on enjoying a smoothly functioning phone. I’d worry more if this tool didn’t work, than why it is needed at all. I remember when I didn’t have it and my Android phone would really cause me problems and I had to hand it off to my husband to fix.

Edit, I have a Samsung and a Pixel. It’s the Samsung’s cleaner I’m most familiar with and that one I use only when I want to. It’s not automated. And I’ve turned off all the notifications from all my apps that would nag me to do things I don’t want or need to do.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why doesn't it just do it itself like iOS?
In reality, it doesn't.
The notion that you need a system "cleaner" is a legacy belief from the age of DOS and Windows 9x, and people that are new to smartphones still have this beliefs since their last computing device are probably an old Windows PC. Thus 3rd party developers take advantage to exploit the lack of experience/knowledge of lay people.

In reality, those utilities are taking up further more resources.
[automerge]1582427852[/automerge]
I've been using a Xiaomi for a while and it comes with a "cleaner" installed factory new. Unless you turn it off, it keeps bothering you every day to clear any not needed files in the system.
The cleaner for Xiaomi are useful in cleaning up leftover installation files that Xiaomi's MUI itself left (for updating its system files). This shows more about the lack of optimization of MiUI than Android itself.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
There is iCleaner Pro for iOS, if you have jailbreak. For the most part it's not necesary, unless you are OCD or running out of storage space.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Because it makes the average user feel like they're doing something good. You'll even see iPhone users clamouring for a "close all" button because they either assume those background apps are still running, or feel the need to close apps once they're done with them.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Probably for those who think going into Settings>Storage>Clear cached data for all apps is too difficult. You know your apps like browser, reddit client, etc. caches data files, right?

On iOS/iPadOS you have to clear individual app caches or throw out your device and get one with more storage.

Reactions: motulist

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Android is advanced enough now that it has it's own RAM manager built into it now. That's what you get for messing with Xiaomi.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
iOS and Android both can benefit from running maintenance tasks, the only difference is that Android allows access to those maintenance tasks but iOS doesn't.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have both a phone (Pixel 2 XL) and a tablet (Samsung Tab S3) running Android and don't use cleaners on either. RAM cleaners can actually counteract any boosts you might get from battery boosters and making the phone "feel" slower. Like macOS Android likes to keep RAM full, leaving frequently-used apps in memory for faster access from memory that doesn't eat battery power as much as storage chips do.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
iOS and Android both can benefit from running maintenance tasks, the only difference is that Android allows access to those maintenance tasks but iOS doesn't.
The thing is, iOS doesnt need the user to be the one doing the maintenance because the system does it perfectly well on its own.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
I've never used a "cleaner" on my Android devices, I let the OS handle things same as I do my iOS stuff.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
That Xiamoi's choice and what you call bloatware. It's completely unnecessary and decreases system efficiency.

You can't blame android, as others others have said, for what a OEM adds on top of it, particularly a chinese OEM. Do you blame android for what amazon does with AOSP in creating their fire tv? Do you blame Ford if some takes an F150, adds an aftermarket suspension and lift, and then complains it rides rough and gets poor gas mileage? Would you blame apple if a jailbroken iphone runs poorly?

No you wouldn't. It's the nature of open source software. You can probably disable the notification, but if you want a true android experience you have to go with a pixel. If you want a mainstream android that demonstrates beneficial oem customization? Then get a samsung or even a oneplus phone.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The thing is, iOS doesnt need the user to be the one doing the maintenance because the system does it perfectly well on its own.

Neither do. Cleaner apps are garbage that just fight the OSes own resource management software. Cleaners are for people that don't understand how the software works.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

This is simply not true. If you jailbreak your iOS device you can do maintenance that very clearly does improve the system, like freeing up disk space, which are the same exact things that the maintenance tasks do on Android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Wish it did.
Far too often I have to "clean" the task manager to allow heavier apps to run.
Spectrum TV
Netflix
Some sites on Safari
MSOffice with larger files
etc...

Then there is the occasional, thankfully becoming less and less, cleanout to get rid of the Other crap.
I have had to reset and clean out more on iOS in the last 4 months than I have had to do on my Razer over the last year. I do suspect the majority of the iOS clean out has to do with the number of OS updates.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
Hmm i have my mind pretty much made up. Used a bunch of android devices and been disappointed every single time having my experience with iOS in mind. I'll switch back to Apple soon and never look back.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Hmm i have my mind pretty much made up. Used a bunch of android devices and been disappointed every single time having my experience with iOS in mind. I'll switch back to Apple soon and never look back.

That's fine, there are plenty of reasons to prefer iOS over Android but this just isn't one of them. If you'd like to try Android again someday I recommend sticking to Pixel and Android One devices for a pure, bloat free experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.