Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
I'm wondering why I can send someone Apple Cash, and pay via Apple Cash, with my phone and watch only. It's very handy and perhaps it works via iPad also, but sometimes I'm on my home laptop and texting friends and family, but unlike the Messages app in the phone, I cannot use Apple Cash to send someone money, nor can I make purchases using that money. So I thought Macrumors members may have some workaround, experiences, or knowledge to share, in order to buy something on a web site via MacOS, or to send $$ to friends via Messages.

It's always been one of those great upgrades for me to have Messages across devices, and a similarly cool addition to have Apple Cash, but more and more I find it's a bother to be on my larger screen laptop and not be able to send money or use that money. Perhaps it's related to the lack of the "Wallet" app in MacOS, and they'll add it someday.

Semi-unrelated, I also can't send messages with "balloons or fireworks" in MacOS Messages, is there some setting to do that on MacOS? Phones and tablets are great for texting and sending money, but it's also preferable for a larger screen when I'm working from home, so I notice more frequently lately the various limitations in the MacOS messages app, as well as the payment capabilities on laptops.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
MacOS does have a wallet and supports Apple Pay...it's in System Preferences. We can only speculate on why it doesn't support Apple Cash though.

For the special effects in Messages, you have to click the Apps button.

Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Gotcha, yes I do appreciate how I can use my finger to authorize a stored CC in “Apple Pay,” it’s very convenient for online purchases and paying bills etc. Apple “Cash” rather than Pay is also great but in some ways it seems like it’s a work in progress.

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll check the message effects settings too, when I get home later today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.