Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
This isn't an Apple TV problem, it's an OLED problem. They are set to dim during static content or content it believes to be static. It can be disabled in the tech menu if you can access it although it would likely void any warranty.

capamac

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
My Mac doesn't have oled and it automatically adjust brightness.

My guess it's a tv.app "feature" that is actually super annoying.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
This isn't an Apple TV problem, it's an OLED problem.

My Mac doesn't have oled and it automatically adjust brightness.

My guess it's a tv.app "feature" that is actually super annoying.

Since we're talking about Apple TV not Mac don't know why you mention it. Totally different things. He is saying it is most likely a TV issue. Not limited to OLED.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I have never seen this happen with my projector (which is LCOS based and does not need burn in mitigations).

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I have the dimming issue also with an LG OLED and the latest ATV. When it occurs, it’s with certain shots. For example, if two characters are talking and the camera is popping back and forth between them, it’ll dim with one of the characters only. It doesn’t happen often, but it’s a jarring amount of dimming when it happens.

So far, I’ve only seen it on Apple TV+ and Prime.
I have the same issue with my LG CX. Its irritating as hell and I cant seem to fix it. One camera shot is good and bright, next camera shot is too dark. Does not happen on the native Apple TV+ app on the LG. Only Apple TV+ on the Apple TV 4K.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Had the same problem. It was a C8 setting that was causing it.
I have a CX. What was the setting?
I have the same issue with my LG CX. It’s irritating as hell and I cant seem to fix it. One camera shot is good and bright, next camera shot is too dark. Does not happen on the native Apple TV+ app on the LG. Only Apple TV+ on the Apple TV 4K.
Good to know about the native app, thanks. It’s just infrequent enough that it’s not driving me crazy. I suspect this is an Apple TV issue.

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I have a CX. What was the setting?

Good to know about the native app, thanks. It’s just infrequent enough that it’s not driving me crazy. I suspect this is an Apple TV issue.
I use "Cinema Home" on Dolby Vision content. Someone told me that switching to "Cinema" resolved the issue for them, but on "Cinema" everything is just very dim in general.

capamac

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
Oh, I figured out how to disabled the "HDR" (ugh!) nonsense on my Macbook Air M1 using macOS's TV.app to play movies.
1) Open the battery control panel.
2) Click "options."
3) Turn on "Optimize video streaming while on battery."
4) UNPLUG YOUR MAC. (Jeez!)

Now when I play the movies, the gamma/brightness/"HDR" doesn't change when I test it by shining a light into the MacBoook's camera (which it uses to judge ambient light levels.) The shadows remain constant instead, and don't brighten or darken when the light is held or removed from the camera.

This HDR stuff is a load of nonsense, I tell ya. Try it. It's BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD PLZ STOP DOING THIS TO ME APPLE K THX BAI.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Whew! Glad I found the thread, I thought I was going nuts.

So here’s my version of the ”dimming” issue:
I’ll open an app, Plex or YouTube for example and screen will dim.
I can change it back by power cycling the AppleTV or switching inputs on my TV from the AppleTV to the OTA antenna.
Then it’s fine.
This has to be the most annoying bug/feature I’ve ever dealt with on and AppleTV and I wish there was a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.