Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I guess the part that I wonder is if AT&T is getting their daily shipments, is it coming from Apple or AT&T Fulfillment Center.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
The rep at an AT&T store said it was because AT&T store employees get paid a commission and Apple Store employees don't. If they sell more at Apple Stores they make a bigger profit.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
The rep at an AT&T store said it was because AT&T store employees get paid a commission and Apple Store employees don't. If they sell more at Apple Stores they make a bigger profit.

but the commission comes from AT&T and not Apple. Apple makes the same amount of money regardless since AT&T is paying Apple per iPhone. Also there is no revenue sharing so beyond equipment sales, Apple isnt making a dime.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple wants the foot traffic, hoping you buy the accessories, AppleCare, MobileMe, etc from them. Hell, I even saw people walking out of the store with new MacBooks and sound docks. People can't buy a lot of that stuff at AT&T.

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
but the commission comes from AT&T and not Apple. Apple makes the same amount of money regardless since AT&T is paying Apple per iPhone. Also there is no revenue sharing so beyond equipment sales, Apple isnt making a dime.

So, AT&T will actually make more money if more phones are sold at Apple Stores, won't they? They won't have to pay any commission, so it is in their best interest to have 20 to 40 phones instead of what they would have needed on the opening day.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Indy, have you been to that new Apple reseller yet? They don't sell iPhones, do they? Ah, well...

Yes, Fort Wayne needs an Apple store. I'd rather drive an hour to schmooze at one than two and a half to go to Keystone in Indianapolis. (I'm in a little patch of nowhere on 27)

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008

Haha.. Apple isn't making a dime?!

Anyways, in retail, investors tend to look at a company's sales to get a measure of that company's financial health. The more iphones Apple keeps to sell themselves, the better their sales look.

Why give a good chunk of sales to another company? I can't think of a good reason either.

And trust me, Apple is doing all right off the sales of the phones.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Haha.. Apple isn't making a dime?!

Anyways, in retail, investors tend to look at a company's sales to get a measure of that company's financial health. The more iphones Apple keeps to sell themselves, the better their sales look.

Why give a good chunk of sales to another company? I can't think of a good reason either.

And trust me, Apple is doing all right off the sales of the phones.

my comment of "Apple isnt making a dime.." is in context of revenue sharing.

and I never said Apple wasnt doing well with the Apple Sale. Did you even read the post.

Go Away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.