Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
If I clear data and search for cookies or history, I get nothing. Yet under storage, it says 123kb for history. This value hasn't changed in years when all other data is cleared. Any ideas what it is? I have no bookmarks or autocomplete settings.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Just remembered I posted this. Anyone else have any ideas? I would understand if it was listed under data, but the fact that it says it for history is what has me confused.

Edit: ie does everyone else get left with data in history after they delete all site data and history from safari?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I believe it is working exactly how it was intended to.

I like to clear website data and remove cookies etc but don’t want to lose my history. The settings app allows me to do this whilst the Safari app allows you to remove all history, cookies & data. I suppose they could give the option in settings, but I think it is better for people to do it in app and be aware of what they are actually deleting to avoid unexpected loss.

The history takes up next to no space but if you want to clear history, cookies and data you just open the bookmarks/history sidebar in the Safari app and press clear. You have the option to clear different time periods or all time.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Forgot to reply to this. What I meant is, when I clear history and data, no history turns up in safari. But for some reason, under storage in settings, it still says history is 130Kb, and gives me no option to clear it.

Derekq

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2021
it's for your benefit to access the history if any essential info you , might need. So, this history option really beneficial.
to clear them you have to manually clear all the history from general settings.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
it's for your benefit to access the history if any essential info you , might need. So, this history option really beneficial.
to clear them you have to manually clear all the history from general settings.
Not sure if you just didn't understand or just didn't read, but as I said, when I clear all the history from general settings. Under storage, it still says 131kb. What I was asking was why this was the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.