Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
This is something that really bothers me. In my studio I have a M2 Mini and Dell workstation both hooked up to the same main monitor but I switch peripherals between them via KVM switch.
When audio comes through on my Dell I can toggle it through the volume controls on my keyboard yet on MacOS it just gives a greyed out "No Volume" symbol.

Audio is being piped through Displayport on both computers to the monitor then to a 3.5mm cable connected to the desk speakers.

Why is digital audio not changeable on MacOS from the Mac itself? Is there work around?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Whether or not a digital audio device can be loudness-controlled by the keyboard and the macOS sound sliders depends on the device. Some do and some don't. I'm not smart enough to know why.

I have PreSonus USB audio device that can't…it has its own volume knob and the macOS sound control keys don't affect it. In this case, I'm pretty sure Windows wouldn't be able to control it either.

I have USB (digital audio) gaming headphones that DO respond to the macOS sound controls. It also has a volume control on the cord and when that is used the macOS volume shows up on the screen.

There's no workaround for my PreSonus but I don't know about the Dell.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Did you try MonitorControl, the first suggestion in that page?
I have not as I am away from my studio for a few days but I'm not inclined to throw extra software layers at the problem. My previous 2018 Mini was a hodgepodge of software and hardware layers that was held together with rubber bands and paperclips.
Since I use my current Mini to generate income, I'm not inclined to just throw random software solutions at it.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
It's not a random solution. It's a really well-made app with more than 237.315 downloads that allows to volume and brightness using the DDC protocol. I've been using it for years.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
It's not a random solution. It's a really well-made app with more than 237.315 downloads that allows to volume and brightness using the DDC protocol. I've been using it for years.
I mean it lets me adjust the brightness on the fly which is neat but it does nothing for volume.

atxonflex

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
Hey Galad, I just wanted to thank you for the MonitorControl recommendation. Solves both volume control, and brightness for my LG external monitor connect to a Mac Mini M1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.