Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your YouTube App restart when you use safari at times

• Often, Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sometimes, Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rarely, Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Hello,

Not sure where to put this so I’ll put it in the iPad section.

I have an issue and it’s been this way for many years. I thought maybe it’s because Youtube was not updated or maybe a iPadOS bug but I’ve updated both many times since and it still occurs in the same way.

So I’ll have Youtube App open and watching a video. Normal stuff right. Then I’ll pause the video or just swipe over to Safari/browser. Sometimes I’ll open Safari without swiping, it doesn’t seem to matter if I use a gesture or open it with it’s App icon.

Now let me be clear it does not happen ALL the time.

But it happens often.
(seems to be linked to more “heavy duty” safari searches (i.e. going onto a website that is using more processing power?). Then when I go back to the Youtube app, it “resets” back as if I had closed it and opened it. Meaning I have to search for the video I was watching and find the part in the video that I was at to resume watching it from where I left it.

Why is it like this? Why has it been this way for 5-6+ years? How can I fix it? Is it Youtube (Google/Android) trying to make Apple products more frustrating so that I switch over, or is it an OS problem (so Apple problem)?

Do you have this issue? For me it happens usually 3-4 times a day because I use Youtube and Safari/Browser a lot.

For more context I use an iPad Pro 11 inch from 2018 and it works completely fine for everything else.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It sounds like iOS is suspending the YouTube app, and it sounds like the YouTube app doesn't handle suspension properly. Ideally when an app is suspended and resumed it'll restore itself to the same "place" it was originally in, but a number of developers take the easy way out and just dump you to the front page.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
It sounds like iOS is suspending the YouTube app, and it sounds like the YouTube app doesn't handle suspension properly. Ideally when an app is suspended and resumed it'll restore itself to the same "place" it was originally in, but a number of developers take the easy way out and just dump you to the front page.
It works most of the time though.

Seems like heavier websites cause it to “crash/reset” more often.

This is youtube though I feel like they shouldn’t be taking shortcuts like that…

Does anyone have an android tablet or phone and if you do, does this EVER happen on those?

I just feel like a lot of googles apps are very poorly designed for iOS/iPadOS

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Like is it my iPad that‘s buggy?

PS. For the Alliance! (And the Horde!) (Yes I play both especially in Classic)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It works most of the time though.

Seems like heavier websites cause it to “crash/reset” more often.
That'll be right. Bigger websites use more memory, so the OS will suspend more apps to free up RAM.

PS. For the Alliance! (And the Horde!) (Yes I play both especially in Classic)
I should update that avatar... Horde in Wrath, Alliance in SOD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.