Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I recorded several minutes of video with Canon Vixia and had it set to the highest resolution. After about 5 minutes of being plugged into my Mac the camera has yet to show up in photos for me to import. Perhaps this is one reason why some prefer an external card reader. Perhaps I need to set my Vixia back to standard resolution to avoid these really long load times.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
and had it set to the highest resolution.
That would be the reason why it would take a long time to download from your camera/card reader to Photos. Not sure why it's taking so long for the camera to show in Photos. Have you tried Image Capture? You'll find it in your Applications Folder.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
That would be the reason why it would take a long time to download from your camera/card reader to Photos. Not sure why it's taking so long for the camera to show in Photos. Have you tried Image Capture? You'll find it in your Applications Folder.
My guess would be I need to try this over buying a card reader. I had the resolution on the camera set too high.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I tried image capture and it claimed to have imported the video into photos but it did not. I then plugged in my power adaptor and the video loaded right away in the photos app so my battery was too low and why it did not work. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I would either way since aside from being much faster and more convenient they barely even cost 20 bucks. Some even go for under 5. So why wouldn't you? 🤨
I need a USB-C or whatever one that plugs right into my port on my MacBook pro. Those cost more than $5.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
My guess would be I need to try this over buying a card reader. I had the resolution on the camera set too high.
Card readers are generally much faster than directly connecting the camera via USB anyways. Of course with my iPhone SE, I have to do it with a direct USB connection, but with stuff from my Canon Vixia HF-R600 camcorder and my Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot still camera, I just take out the SD card and slide it into a reader. I have one built into my CalDigit TS3-Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock I use with my M1 MacBook Air at home in desktop/clamshell mode, and I've also got one on my Falwedi USB-C hub for when I'm on the go. And my 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro has a built-in card reader, which is convenient. But I've also got a little USB-A card reader as well, so I'm extra-prepared.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Card readers are generally much faster than directly connecting the camera via USB anyways. Of course with my iPhone SE, I have to do it with a direct USB connection, but with stuff from my Canon Vixia HF-R600 camcorder and my Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot still camera, I just take out the SD card and slide it into a reader. I have one built into my CalDigit TS3-Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock I use with my M1 MacBook Air at home in desktop/clamshell mode, and I've also got one on my Falwedi USB-C hub for when I'm on the go. And my 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro has a built-in card reader, which is convenient. But I've also got a little USB-A card reader as well, so I'm extra-prepared.
A previous poster posted a good one that plugs directly into my MacBook Pro. I usually get a amazon gift card for Christmas and should buy that one. It's less than $10. Definitely the camcorder needs it. My Powershot does not since the photos load in seconds on the Mac. But video on Vixia is another matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.