Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I bought a refurbished iPhone XS just before Christmas. It’s a great phone but I can’t believe how much dust collects on the screen.

After just 30 seconds or so in my jeans, shorts, or jogger pockets a large amount of dust collects on the screen.

It’s mainly at the edges but generally over the whole screen. A fair amount also collects around the camera bump on the back as well.

It gathers regardless of whether I have a case on or not and it’s just dust - no fingerprints.

I switched back to my iPhone 7 for a few days last week as a test and there was no dust whatsoever on the iPhone 7 screen when I took it out of my pocket. The problem seems to specific to the XS.

Is this indicative of a problem with the screen, or do all iPhone XS models have this problem?

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I think the oleophobic coating has more to do with oil and preventing fingerprints on the screen. It’s just dust I’m getting - no fingerprints.

teelyn

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
I bought a refurbished iPhone XS just before Christmas. It’s a great phone but I can’t believe how much dust collects on the screen.

After just 30 seconds or so in my jeans, shorts, or jogger pockets a large amount of dust collects on the screen.

It’s mainly at the edges but generally over the whole screen. A fair amount also collects around the camera bump on the back as well.

It gathers regardless of whether I have a case on or not and it’s just dust - no fingerprints.

I switched back to my iPhone 7 for a few days last week as a test and there was no dust whatsoever on the iPhone 7 screen when I took it out of my pocket. The problem seems to specific to the XS.

Is this indicative of a problem with the screen, or do all iPhone XS models have this problem?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Did you purchase refurbished from Apple, or from someone else?

I'd guess that dust accumulation may have something to do with static electricity or some stickiness of the display surface (a residue of some sort). If it turns out to be a non-Apple display... perhaps there is a difference in the display module of some sort, whether in the coating or in the grounding/earthing of the display module, the capacitive properties of the touchscreen...

I'm not an expert in these things, but this does not seem typical of Apple displays.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Did you purchase refurbished from Apple, or from someone else?

I'd guess that dust accumulation may have something to do with static electricity or some stickiness of the display surface (a residue of some sort). If it turns out to be a non-Apple display... perhaps there is a difference in the display module of some sort, whether in the coating or in the grounding/earthing of the display module, the capacitive properties of the touchscreen...

I'm not an expert in these things, but this does not seem typical of Apple displays.
No I didn’t get it from Apple.

It’s in as new condition and can’t see any obvious signs of screen replacement.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No I didn’t get it from Apple.

It’s in as new condition and can’t see any obvious signs of screen replacement.
If it has been refurbished by someone other than Apple I'm sure the screen was replaced. There is software available to read and write the serial number from the original screen to a replacement which will circumvent the "this phone doesn't have an original display" warning in settings. Depending on the quality of replacement they use, you may not be able to tell and would need to open the device to find out. The unusual amount of dust might be an indicator in a difference in coating materials used on the display...

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021

Why does so much dust collect on my iPhone XS screen?​

Because you're not using it enough, maybe?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Are you using a case on it? I have a iPhone 13 and with a silicone case it’s dust central (has to be wiped every few hours even if it’s sitting on a desk). Take off the case and it’s fine. TPU case it’s fine so it’s case specific

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.