Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Doubt anyone will know the answer but here goes. This is on AT&T cellular Elite tier (Yes I know you can't get AT&T Elite tier anymore we got it before it ended)

Basically I am sitting outside in the same spot and getting 100 Mbps + on cellular data speed.

Movie file size is 68 GB. Movie is around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Yes it is 4k please don't tell me I can't see the difference between 1080p and 4k on such a small device. Thanks.

P.S. yes steam saver is off too!

BTW this is remote direct streaming the 68GB movie file from my Synology NAS at home.

I have 1 Gbps down and 1 Gbps up fiber at home.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
How much data did you use this month with ATT? I’m reading there’s a soft data cap of 100GB and then it’s throttled afterwards.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
How much data did you use this month with ATT? I’m reading there’s a soft data cap of 100GB and then it’s throttled afterwards.

There is no soft data cap anymore. It is unlimited high speed data. Though just to answer your question about 7 or 8 GB so far.

Reactions: FelixDerKater

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Well it sounds like you have the right equipment with wired Ethernet connection. I can’t think of anything else besides it being an ATT issue 😜.

Na I get a constant 900 Mbps to 940 Mbps download and 900 Mbps to 940 Mbps upload speed at home.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Look at your carrier settings via the carrier site. I haven't been on AT&T for almost a decade. But I know carriers like T-mobile and Verizon can have 480p quality streaming settings enable, even when you have unlimited. I had to log on to their sites and disable it, as when it's enabled it throttle bandwidth. After I disabled it, everything went smoothly.

An example of what I had to disable on T-mobile.

IMG_0013.jpeg

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Look at your carrier settings via the carrier site. I haven't been on AT&T for almost a decade. But I know carriers like T-mobile and Verizon can have 480p quality streaming settings enable, even when you have unlimited. I had to log on to their sites and disable it, as when it's enabled it throttle bandwidth. After I disabled it, everything went smoothly.

An example of what I had to disable on T-mobile.

View attachment 2070027

Thanks

AT&T Steam Saver has been off.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Is it HDR? Cause sometimes I have an issue with that. Maybe play around with the transcoding.
I am directly streaming the 68 GB file remotely from my Synology NAS server. No transcoding happening.

I only do transcoding for backup from Emby. But only if absolutely necessary. My main pc I use for my Emby is a gaming pc with most of the latest hardware plus I have a Emby Premier or Pro lifetime licease. So hardware transcoding. I use my intel processor onboard graphics card though for it (i7 12700k processor so onboard graphics is good for this) but my EVGA rtx 2060 Super is backup if needed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I am directly streaming the 68 GB file remotely from my Synology NAS server. No transcoding happening.

I only do transcoding for backup from Emby. But only if absolutely necessary. My main pc I use for my Emby is a gaming pc with most of the latest hardware plus I have a Emby Premier or Pro lifetime licease. So hardware transcoding. I use my intel processor onboard graphics card though for it (i7 12700k processor so onboard graphics is good for this) but my EVGA rtx 2060 Super is backup if needed.

I'm out of suggestions then. It's most likely something so simple too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.