Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Yesterday, I downloaded High Sierra, and wanted to do a trial installation of it on a spare partition.
The size of the spare partition is about 300 GB.
I opened the H. Sierra installer, which had been downloaded to the Applications folder of my regular partition. I selected the spare partition as the target volume (this had been erased in Disk Utility, and was formatted as HFS+ (journaled), and clicked OK to install. After a few minutes, an alert appeared, which said, “Mac OS could not be installed on your computer. The target disk is too small for this operation”. It recommended a restart, and a fresh installation attempt, which I did — with exactly the same result. I think that, in all, I must have had about seven attempts at re-starting and trying to install, but the same alert appears. Also, I have tried installing direct from the App Store, also via Internet Recovery — all with exactly the same results. Some files are being installed in the once-empty partition, but, evidently, the complete process is being aborted at some point. (Before any attempt at another installatio, I always delete these installed files.)
Why will High Sierra 10.12.13 not install? The “About this Mac” window, in my Sierra installation provides the following information:
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Thanks in advance, for any useful comments.
C.H.

Here is further information on the above problem — I don't know whether it makes any difference, or not. However, since my first posting (above), I recalled that SIP had been disabled on my Mac. Now, the partition on which I have tried to install High Sierra has been erased, many times, but this may not have changed its status as regards it being non-SIP enabled. I don't know much about matters like this, so, for aught that I can tell, this may be the reason for its being unable to accept a H. Sierra installation (even if it comes up with a silly-sounding reason like there not being enough room. Sometimes, and alert can be wide of the mark, can't it?).

So, a further questions is: what do you experts think about the problem, after being told this? I hope someone will be able to reply.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.