Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
it is a repost but that being said LG is not coping apple. The truth of the matter is if any one is coping it is apple coping LG.

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
The UI (multi-touch and OS X) really is the only "new" thing on the iPhone. Maybe Visual Voicemail also, I don't know about that. All the others, accelometers and proximity sensors, have already been implemented on other devices. But Apples true gift is in creating the hype needed to sell things like this.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
How different could they possibly look? Both have large touchscreens, and there's only so much you can do to make it look unique.

I agree.

If you decide to put a large touch-screen on a phone, there aren't too many different ways of doing it! Putting the 'application' buttons on the bottom is ergonomically logical given that's where your thumb is. And as for touch-screen dialing - what other way could you do it?

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
.. yep thats the ke850 that i mentioned in my other post.

i think LG has done a good job, and in my opinion looks much better than apple .. still its not all looks that count, so i am quite open to both ke850 and iphone debate.

the multi-touch .. yes .. you know i saw this video some 4 months ago, there was this young lad at a university-ish conference giving a demo of this multi-touch technology ... i cant seem to find that video, but i am brewing it .. *snare* ... and he used 'pinch' to zoom in and out as well ..

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
the multi-touch .. yes .. you know i saw this video some 4 months ago, there was this young lad at a university-ish conference giving a demo of this multi-touch technology ... i cant seem to find that video, but i am brewing it .. *snare* ... and he used 'pinch' to zoom in and out as well ..
Jeff Han. The video is currently linked in the first post of MacRumors Page 1.

Here.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Apple's true gift is in creating the hype needed to sell things like this.

I think also others are going to have to admit that names such as iPhone and iMac are much more memorable in today's Internet age. How many people can remember all these numbers when they come to plug them into google? You might not know who makes an iPod but you don't have to you just need to remember the product name and type it into Amazon.

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
I think also others are going to have to admit that names such as iPhone and iMac are much more memorable in today's Internet age. How many people can remember all these numbers when they come to plug them into google? You might not know who makes an iPod but you don't have to you just need to remember the product name and type it into Amazon.
Others have started to try it also. LG Chocolate, Nokia L'Amour, Motorola Razr, Sony Ericsson Walkman and so on. Still it's not quite the same. Other than Razr none of these names have really been used by consumers.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
.. yep thats the ke850 that i mentioned in my other post.

i think LG has done a good job, and in my opinion looks much better than apple .. still its not all looks that count, so i am quite open to both ke850 and iphone debate.

I don't think there'll be much debate. If history is anything to go by, the LG phone will be to the iPhone as the Nomad Zen is to the iPod. They look similar, but one has a great user interface and the other one is not made by Apple.

If there is any debate at all it will be populated with feature counting lunatics who can't see the wood for the trees.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I don't think there'll be much debate. If history is anything to go by, the LG phone will be to the iPhone as the Nomad Zen is to the iPod. They look similar, but one has a great user interface and the other one is not made by Apple.

its amazing u are making the statement when u don't even have any experience for the two products, especially when iPhone is still a vaporware, basically.

History is written by facts that happened, not by prediction before hand, lol

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006

If there is any debate at all it will be populated with feature counting lunatics who can't see the wood for the trees.

ah, subjective flaming ..

history? i dont see any telecom related history when it comes to apple :S
predicting the success of a phone based on popularity of an mp3 player? .. no comment

and then comes the 'lunatic' label ..

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
For those lazy to click on the link, here are the pics showing the iPhone and the LG phone side by side

That's just the keypad, which still I wouldn't call one ripping off the other. Have you seen the VIDEO of the LG in action? It's UI looks like a piece of crap. Apple definitely won in this department. Back to the car analogy - Two cars have the same set of racing tires. One car is a Ferrari, the other is a Yugo. Same tires, not the same car.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
That's just the keypad, which still I wouldn't call one ripping off the other. Have you seen the VIDEO of the LG in action? It's UI looks like a piece of crap. Apple definitely won in this department. Back to the car analogy - Two cars have the same set of racing tires. One car is a Ferrari, the other is a Yugo. Same tires, not the same car.

lol, fake comparison,
u can say that the touch screen phone's touch screen for the phone is just like the tires for the car? and UI for the phone is like engine for the car? i dont think so

U wanna make comparison, go with CPU, memory, functionalities, and tech.

compare to tires for the car? maybe material of the shell for the phone is like tires for the car.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

what are you talking about it being crap. The UI looks a lot like the iPhones UI, which looks a hell of a lot like Palm OS UI or windows mobile UI.

At most Apple may have a little better one but not by much. The UI on the LG phone looks very simple, very clear and very easy to use.
And yes I watch the video with both phones.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i agree that i don't see the iphone's UI as something so out of ordinarily better than ANYTHING ANYONE EVER MADE!

sure it's nice, it's good, marginally, but certainly not drastically.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I was listening to Diggnation this morning and just couldnt believe what Albrecht was saying. If you look at any other UI screens for these phones, they look NOTHING alike. Sure, the keypad looks similar, but there is only so many ways you can put 12 buttons in a number format.

As to the hardware, they look NOTHING alike. The iPhone is ringed with stainless steel and has an aluminium back. The LG is black all round. The UI of the iPhone is far far more beautiful than the LG too.

And as for features, the iPhone blows the LG out of the water, and I believe cheaper too.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I was listening to Diggnation this morning and just couldnt believe what Albrecht was saying. If you look at any other UI screens for these phones, they look NOTHING alike. Sure, the keypad looks similar, but there is only so many ways you can put 12 buttons in a number format.

As to the hardware, they look NOTHING alike. The iPhone is ringed with stainless steel and has an aluminium back. The LG is black all round. The UI of the iPhone is far far more beautiful than the LG too.

And as for features, the iPhone blows the LG out of the water, and I believe cheaper too.

the cheaper part is very very questionable. I believe the iPhone cost is what it is WITH the contract. The LG phone is the cost with out the contract and it retail value which is always more than you will pay for it store on top for that a 2 year contract will easily take 200 or more off the phone cost.

The UI on both phones is about the same give or take. There is only so much you can do with a touch screen lay out. Both UI are a lot like Windows Mobile and Palm OS UI.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
this might be one of the most pointless threads ever.

Also, as I've said before, if you are here on this site and you are a mac-user, and you are arguing about any of it, you're missing the point.

a: STILL people are judging it before they have even laid hands on a finished product. Did we not learn from our mistakes with the iPod?

b: I don't care if there is something very nearly like it or not. I'll be buying the iPhone over all of them (as long as it's up to snuff once I've actually gotten to USE it) simply because as a mac user, it'll be the first phone that is built to work with my mac seamlessly. All these other phones I have to use some kind of third party work-around that inevitably has holes to get my information synced up. period. thats the single best reason for any mac user to buy this phone.

Sure, I hope it's insanely successful with the PC crowd like the iPod has become, but that's not the most important to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.