Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2022
Hello! I bought airpods v3 and wanted to use them with qi wireless charging. But I noticed one unpleasant feature. When the airpods reach 100% charge, wireless charging does not stop the current supply (at the level of 1 watt), which causes the case to constantly heat up. I tested this on two wireless chargers: Satechi 2 in 1 and HyperX ChargePlay. Since I leave my devices to charge overnight, and the headphones on the wireless pad can spend a longer time, how much does it harm them? After all, when I removed the airpods from wireless charging, they were warm. Share your experience.
photo_2022-04-29_22-21-07.jpg

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Mine did the same with a ROBOQi third party 2-in-1 charger. Left them very warm every time.

I stopped using it because the heat was surely wearing down the batteries faster, & just purchased an Apple MagSafe charger & placed it in a holster stand & now they charge fine.

FAAEA50E-4633-4414-AB75-71EA3CFE8D2B.jpeg

I’ll add a shot of my power meter once they reach 100%, to compare readings…

Here you go…

694C9201-0E77-4C6C-BD3C-BBE61816DFD6.jpeg

& the case only gets slightly warm. But I’m pretty sure if I leave it on there longer, it gets even cooler.

How warm is yours? Closer to hot, or just detectable?

Also, if you’re charging overnight, then your AirPods should learn when to pause charging at 80% & then resume for when you wake up, so they shouldn’t be charging constantly. This may take a week or to to ‘learn’ your patterns (if you have patterns).

Last edited:
Reactions: baxenko

baxenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2022
Thanks for the answer. AirPods stay warm, not hot. But if I use wireless charging as a place to permanently store airpods in my house, they will be exposed to constant heat, which I think is not good for the battery. Is it possible to put a smart socket that will turn on the charging station at night only for 4 hours, and the rest of the time will be turned off so that the airpods do not heat up in vain.
Here you go…
I see that the original Apple MagSafe charger also draws 1W of power (as is the case with my wireless chargers). Therefore, airfields do not know how to signal wireless charging: “Hey, stop frying me!”

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Therefore, airfields do not know how to signal wireless charging: “Hey, stop frying me!”

Here’s another photo, this time after a night of being left on the MagSafe charger.

The AirPods case wasn’t warm at all, so it felt like charging stopped completely…
5C56517D-97DD-4529-B181-3A31FD3A2F93.jpeg

Reactions: baxenko

baxenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2022
Satechi's answer:
We did not receive any similar concerns regarding Airpods that does not stop charging. Any device that has a battery and requires charging should have a chip inside it that stops devices from overcharging and will cutoff once the device reaches full charge.

You might need to check with Apple support and possibly need a replacement for your Airpods as that is not normal.

HyperX's answer:
Leaving you devices overnight should not do any harm, but we'd recommend you to contact the manufacturer of your devices for more information.

baxenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2022
I went to the store to see how the airpods respond to official Apple MagSafe charging. And here's what we found out. With MagSafe, charging stops (apparently the controller makes it clear that "enough") and after that charging does not even occur on qi.

I concluded for myself: QI kills your airpods!

Of course, I will not refuse Satechi 2 in 1, so I just bought a smart socket that only turns on the station for 4 hours so that the airpods do not heat up in vain for the rest of the time.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I went to the store to see how the airpods respond to official Apple MagSafe charging. And here's what we found out. With MagSafe, charging stops (apparently the controller makes it clear that "enough") and after that charging does not even occur on qi.

I concluded for myself: QI kills your airpods!

Of course, I will not refuse Satechi 2 in 1, so I just bought a smart socket that only turns on the station for 4 hours so that the airpods do not heat up in vain for the rest of the time.
It is a hit and miss. With my AirPods Pro and MagSafe+MagSafe duo mostly they will be cool to touch when 100%, other times same as regular, warm case

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just fyi, even with nothing on the MagSafe charger, there is still a small amount of wattage going through the adapter, but the smart charging of the iPhone probably stops utilising it once full, hence why it’s cool to touch, as it should be.

0D6A2143-40C2-4EAE-AE6D-E9D77DA556A0.jpeg

baxenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2022
Just fyi, even with nothing on the MagSafe charger, there is still a small amount of wattage going through the adapter, but the smart charging of the iPhone probably stops utilising it once full, hence why it’s cool to touch, as it should be.

View attachment 2003410
but 0.43W its not 1.481W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.