Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Both the Logitech and Brydge keyboards have a row of function keys at the top that the Magic Keyboard lacks. Brightness and volume control are two very popular ones. One key combo I use often on the MKB is Command-H to return to the home screen. There are a few others that are not all that helpful, but it seems like Apple would add some more of these combos to make up for the lack of the function keys on the MKB. Are there any that you use currently which you find particularly handy?

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
You would think, right? As Apple is all about user experience. Hopefully, iPadOS 15 will address this. Currently, I remapped the globe key (since I never use it) to act as an escape key. (Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > Modifier Keys)

Reactions: xenoako

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
You would think, right? As Apple is all about user experience. Hopefully, iPadOS 15 will address this. Currently, I remapped the globe key (since I never use it) to act as an escape key. (Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > Modifier Keys)
I did that, too, only now I can’t figure out what it’s supposed to do. I hit it a few times, but nothing happened. How’s it supposed to work?

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I did that, too, only now I can’t figure out what it’s supposed to do. I hit it a few times, but nothing happened. How’s it supposed to work?

Unfortunately, the escape key is not the same as the Home key. The Escape key works the same way as on a Mac or PC. I just talked about it because it is the closest thing I can think of that relates to your question. Sorry, I wasn't clear. :(

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Unfortunately, the escape key is not the same as the Home key. The Escape key works the same way as on a Mac or PC. I just talked about it because it is the closest thing I can think of that relates to your question. Sorry, I wasn't clear. :(
No, you were clear. It was a legitimate question. What do you use your escape key for?

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
No, you were clear. It was a legitimate question. What do you use your escape key for?
I use the escape key to exit out of full screen videos, text fields, cancel operations, and etc. The remapped key is especially useful when I need to remote in to my work computer. (I use the escape key a lot at work)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.