Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcNBarrett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
I really like the small size of my old iPod Shuffle, and it is absolutely criminal that Apple has never made a new version of the Shuffle or Nano with compatibility with Apple Music. I understand the anti-piracy thing, but I don't buy at all that being a barrier to doing this. I am not a highly-paid Apple hardware/software engineer, and I can imagine ways this could work. The iPod could be designed with a minimal WiFi capability; the user would use a PC/Mac running iTunes to set up the Shuffle's WiFi, then and Apple Music songs loaded on the device would play as long as the Shuffle was able to "phone home" once a day.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
On a cynical side, the market for iPods is probably just too small already to justify any new investment in R&D,production,marketing,support, etc. The smartphone has become the all-in-one device.

I do miss a standalone music player. But then I thought even if I had one, I would probably just put it in a drawer as I already have a phone with me at all times. Apple probably knew most people would just use their phones anyway.

Reactions: Elitegate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.